Search results

1. J

self frag colt cral?

Hello, I have a question about my colt coral. It looks happy and healthy, but a small piece broke off. It must have happened just yesterday. The piece that fell off is trying to open, and where it broke off from new growth is emerging. Umm is it possible that the colt coral is self propagating...
  2. J

A little help about hard coral?

Hello Thank You all for the advice. I am purchasing a calcium and magnesium test. o.K. I assume the carbon will be to help take out any extra pollutants from the softies? I took out the carbon when I was told it may be linked to lateral line disease. I will do a little more reading. Things...
  3. J

Hello received info from person who sent me the coral. They said it is a hydnophora ( horn coral) They told me it is easy to care for if given good current and high lighting. Hmm I am used to zoas, ricordea, and softies. So I guess I am wondering easy to care for compared to what? I get the...
  4. J

I am really sorry for the crappy pics. I just don't have a good camera. I seem to spend the money on other things ( like fish stuff) I am a little afraid of trying to move the tiny frag. He is behind the colt coral I just got.... Here is another picture, but I am afraid it is no better. Well you...
  5. J

Here are a couple pics. the first is of the hard coral? the next three are what were sold to me as Rhodactis indonesia, Ricordea Florida, and lavendar mushrooms. Do the names sound right? I have no idea what the proper name for the last one is. It came on Walt-Smith rock. I know the tank needs...
  6. J

Thank You, I will check the water chemistry. The main thing I am worried about is that I usually have this tank a little more nutrient rich for the shrooms, zoas, and softies. My calcium check was always to monitor how much corraline algae I needed to scrape off the glass. Currently the tank is...
  7. J

Hello, I recently purchased several rics, shrooms, and softies from e-bay. The seller added what appears to be a hard coral frag of some sort ( freebie I guess) Ummm well I don't know if you call it an impulse buy, but it is unexpected. It looked like a hard 3/4" stick until today. Now I...
  8. J

elderly fish care?

O.K Must be a dumb question. I will assume there isn't anything you can do for older fish. I guess I must just let nature take it's course? Just thought maybe someone would have advice on what to do when your fish get old. Do some people get rid of them when they stop looking " prime"? Or maybe...
  9. J

elderly fish care?

Well I'm not sure if this has been brought up before. It may seem like a dumb question. I have had my reef tank set up for 10 years now. The three yellow tail damsels, royal gramma, and six line wrasse are all at least 8 years old. Is there something I should be doing if they are considered...
  10. J

tangs in same tank?

Sorry I just had to chime in. I come here a lot to learn. I read many posts pertaining to my questions before I ask. I try not to waste other people's time. I also love the fact that so much help is given, and my reef inhabitants appreciate it too:) That being said I feel some people feel they...
  11. J

Naso crapped out on me! :(

I am so sorry to hear about your loss :( I'm kinda new here. I have had reef tanks for about 20 years, and my experience would be... If I lost a tang under those types of circumstances. The tank became too low in oxygen. Or cyanide poisoning from collection. I have noticed that Tangs are...
  12. J

care for hidden cup coral?

Thank You , that is exactly like what I have. I will put the rock back on top of it to shade it. I moved my palythoa rock, and " Found" the hidden cup coral underneath it. I don't have any other coral near it. I didn't realize it liked the shade. It probably was eating whatever I fed the polyps...
  13. J

care for hidden cup coral?

Hello, I know this may seem like a hopeless cause. I don't have time to go into great detail about my entire system, but can someone point me in the right direction? I have identified some of the coral that came with my live rock from the gulf of Mexico. I am almost positive it is hidden cup...
  14. J

What algae hippo tang?

:rainbow: Well I keep looking over my shoulder and I don't see the Tang Police yet:bow: I realize after reading much more and all the advice that a 90 gallon tank may not be big enough, and tangs get ick. Well it is too late now:smack: I really like my little hippo tang :heart: . If...
  15. J

What algae hippo tang?

Hello, Thank You for all the replies. I'm not sure if I am understanding this correctly. If my hippo eats the algae off the rocks instead of the frozen or dried algae he may be sick:( He looks so happy swimming around picking at all the rocks. He is from liveaquaria here in WI. I know they say...
  16. J

What algae hippo tang?

Hello, This may seem like a stupid question. I know hippo tangs are grazers. I feed a combo of formula one, formula two, brine shrimp plus, cyclops, and mysis shrimp all frozen. I also feed a dried green seaweed on a clip. The hippo tang doesn't seem interested in any of the frozen food or even...
  17. J

I lost all my mushrooms

Not sure how it happened:banghead: I just hope if I start again with the collection they are happy:crowd: Of course I only gave away the most common or least colorful ones:doh: Now I will have to beg for some back:grr: The bottle of amquel was new. I use it every day for my Discus. They...
  18. J

I lost all my mushrooms

Hello, I posted several months ago that something was wrong with my mushrooms. I didn't worry much at first. I have had my tank for 15 years, and always needed to give away my mushrooms and ricordea when they got out of hand. I don't know how, but I lost every one of them. :eek: The worst losses...
  19. J

filter feeding sea cucumber from gulf of mexico

I will try to get pics with my regular camera, put them on disk and see if I can post them.....
  20. J

filter feeding sea cucumber from gulf of mexico

Yeah I know I can't say for sure it is the same as the one in the picture. I have never seen the body of any off the cucumbers in my tank. They all are entrenched into the live rock. I was thinking if they were staying in one place and growing that it was good?? I just know the tentacles look...