Search results

1. Z

Diseased Xenia

Thanks sasquatch. It is in a high flow area - but I'll try the baster as you suggest
  2. Z

Diseased Xenia

Hi all, Wonder if you could give me some advice. My star polyps have developed an area of brown gunk. It's a persistent little pest. I've done a couple of iodine baths and cleaned with coral cleaner, which seems to work for a couple of weeks, but then the brown returns as you can see in the...
  3. Z

Corals dying?is this algae problem

Thanks for the advice - I'll try removing it and let you know how I get on. Helen
  4. Z

Re: Red coralline taking out other corals! I'll try this now and let you know later. Thanks Helen
  5. Z

Red coralline taking out other corals! Hi, maybe you could help me. My partner, who's tank it is, is away and over the past week there seems to have been an abundance of what I think is red coralline. Over the last few nights it has covered a what was healthy suncoral, 2 heads of a trumpet...
  6. Z

Who does this tentacle/tendril? belong too?

Thanks Cat - 3 letters - I can just about manage that! Yeah, the pictures of the spaghetti worms are certainly the most similar on the link you provided. Thanks again
  7. Z

I'll spell your name right this time Caitrina! I guess this could have been a bunch entwined together ?
  8. Z

Hi Kaitrina, There's somewhere else in teh tank with similar ones that are about as thick as cotton, but this one was much thicker, I'd say half a matchstick. If you look closely in the photo, you can see a thinner one coming out of the rock a little above the thick one.
  9. Z

Hi, saw this extending from a small hole in a rock. It's since retracted. Any ideas what it is ? It's about 3 inches (7.5cm) long to give you an idea of the scale. Thanks
  10. Z

zebrasoma

Since this has happened we've invested in copious testing kits including all you've mentioned. The KH is high 3.5 (strange?), magnesium is reasonable 1350, pH is 8.4 (checked night and day). We have done some low grade salt changes to get the calcium down - tonight it's about 550, but the iodine...
  11. Z

zebrasoma

We brought a tank with a Zebrasoma (4"), am maroon clown (2.5") and a little damsel. They had been together a while I understand and the clown was definitely in charge. We added a false gramma and a yellow tang and all was well for over a month, except the clown kept taking bites out of the...
  12. Z

Calcium gone mad - any suggestions ?

thanks Wonderloss - I think that's what I'll have to do. To keep pH and salt levels up, I've added low grade salt, but this has still had calcium of 380 when I've added it - so this could take 3 months or so - before I'm in reasonable range!
  13. Z

Hi, The calcium levels in the replacement water was 380. I haven't checked the magnesium - but both the pH (8.4) and the KH (150ppm) are in the right range. How would I see precipitation ? The tank's had this level of calcium for about 3 weeks (at least - this was when I did my first calcium...
  14. Z

Hi again - my tank's now calmed down a bit - but I still can't get the calcium under control. Someone suggested to me that the extremely high calcium might ironically stop the corals from absorbing it. As a re-cap... I recently took over looking after an established 200l marine tank. The...
  15. Z

Help - high calcium!!!

I've moved a couple of rocks and found the tang. The gills look OK - bit brown on one side but the tang looked like that when it went into the dark. At least that would suggest there's no predator in the tank - I can't find the other 3 fish though. How much of a problem is this ? They were...
  16. Z

Help - high calcium!!!

Ta Kazzy. The yellow tang that has died was about 2 inches (5cm) - could a mantis, crab, worm really eat that?
  17. Z

Help - high calcium!!!

I'll be having nightmares tonight - sounds like we might have accidentally put Jaws in the tank !!!! The rocks that I bought were all relatively small and had been cured in the pet shop for more than a month - could something survive that long without food ?
  18. Z

Help - high calcium!!!

Thanks for the advice catalyst, I've tried looking but can't see them - the whole of the back of the tank has rock set against it - moving 1 piece will create havoc. There's a maxijet aimed along the base of the tank behind the rocks - but that hasn't blown them out - not seeing any of the four...
  19. Z

Help - high calcium!!!

Thanks Frankie, Catalyst, Northbay-Reefer and Woodstock, AAh, Killer hitchhiker - what the hells that? What do I need to look for after light out? We've not found any bodies so I've no idea what they look like, just got up in the morning and not seen them for two days plus. Presumably...
  20. Z

Help - high calcium!!!

Hi Woodstock, There are 4 maxi jets in the tank (2 bottom = 1000s and two top 1x1200 and 1x500). The tank is 4 foot x 2 x 2. Temperature 23C (74F). There is no sump - just a protein skimmer (Prism). I couldn't see any signs of disease on the fish. Two of the casualties were baby clowns...