Search results

1. A

Question

I currently have some bristle nose plecos breeding in my tank. I keep finding the babies in the bottom of my canister filter (unharmed,but hard to get out and back in thr tank. I have been covering the intake with cut up pantyhose (wife's, not mine), but this clogs quickly and easily. I am...
  2. A

Updated Introduction

Red Scooter Blennys are one of my favorite fish. Love the way they hunker down when other fish swim over the top of them. They are never jittery and don't scare easily. Lots of personality
  3. A

Would You Buy A Custom Tank Stand?

I would recommend you friend get involved with some of the auarium clubs in Colorado. My son in law is an enthusiast who lives in Parker and he says the clubs are always looking for people who are willing to do this type of work or help an aquarist who wants to learn to do it themselves...
  4. A

Aquaman's 29g Bio-Cube

I would also move the corkscrew vals to the back of the tank or clump them in a back corner.
  5. A

leathers

I vote for the Colt (Cladiella). It has many other common names but is very easy, fast growing, flexible on placement (as long as well anchored) and is a great natural water filter. It was the first coral palced in my first SW tank and I still have 7 or 8 of the pieces in various tanks.
  6. A

Snails

I do not know that personal taste is improved by research. I have had a wide variiety in my multiple fresh water tanks over the years and never cared for them. I am glad some of you do like them and get enjoyment from keeping them in your tanks. It is not for me.
  7. A

is tech taken the hobby out of the hobby

I keep my boat at the Bayport Marina on the St. Croix river. Slip A-21 if you are ever around on a weekend. Visitors are always welcome. Sorry for the late reply. Oh, I almost forgot, I am still betting I will launch the boat in late April. Love that early spring chill in the air at 45mph.
  8. A

is tech taken the hobby out of the hobby

I believe a lot of the technology is driven by the people who put tanks in doctors offices, restaurants, etc. The people at these places do little or nothing to maintain these tanks (sometimes don't even feed them). Any good maintenance company is going to want a cost efficient way to keep the...
  9. A

anemone feeding

Sometimes. I order them from fresh fish stores. I also think you can buy it in flats from Live Aquaria of at your LFS. Not sure about that though.
  10. A

Angelfish

I have never kept any of the dwarf angels in my reef tank, but I have almost tried multiple times. I most often hear that the flame back (two types) are the least likely to cause problems. Sorry I can not be of more help, but if you take the plunge, I will be interested in how it turns out.
  11. A

i want to find out what the average age of RS members is.

52 here. Born 2/10/1956 in New York, New York. Not quite old enough to know better than to spend tons of money on aquariums of all sizes and types. How old would that be?
  12. A

anemone feeding

I have three BTAs in my tank, two red and one green. I have always fed the tank and let the anemones fend for themselves most of the time. I have a mated pair of true perculas that host the two reds. They typically do not help feed them. They may iritate the ends of the tentacles causing...
  13. A

Snails

What kind of fish do you have and what kind of fish are you interested in? I always thought snails were a good source of food for my fish. I squash them on the side when I feed the tank. I have kept various types of loaches that help. Candy stripe loaches do pretty well, are mostly friendly...
  14. A

very likely fw planted tank

I have been running a low light planted tank for over 5 years. I have changed it completely on three occasions. I currently have multiple anubias, corkscrew vals, Java Fern, wisteria (yes in low light), ozelot sword, red ludwegia, moneywort and some crypts. All in a 55 gallon tank. The only...
  15. A

Signs of a healthy tank

Forgot to mention I was born in New York and frequently swam in the sound near Shenerock (sp) Country Club.
  16. A

Signs of a healthy tank

I have the same red algae in my tank which is nowhere near 40 years old. It is definitely not cyano (I have seen lots of this). It also does not come from Long Island Sound since nothing in my tank came from there. The only possible connection could be if some of that stuff stuck to my arm...
  17. A

Placement of toadstool?

I doubt if placement in the tank will make any difference on whether hermit crabs sit on it or not. I have kept them in all areas of my tank, and only had problems with bottom placement when sand sifting gobys kept covering them up. If you do move it up, do it slowly (not from bottom to top in...
  18. A

Help me pick a new fish!

How about a wrasse? I love these fish. Jordani, lubocki,lineatus, rhomboidallis, etc. Particularly these fairy wrasses.
  19. A

31Q SCWD Wave maker thing..... anyone heard anything about this?

I have been using one in my 125 gal. for over a year with no problems at all.
  20. A

Condy Anenome

Yes it will sting your leathers. I also believe they travel around a tank more than other types of anemones. A side note is that I believe some types of hermits feed on the condys.