Search results

1. S

Mollies in a Reef tank...

Personally, I just put a Sailfin Blenny (aka Lawnmower Blenny) in my tank and he does a great job of keeping algae at bay.
  2. S

OT- Any Gamers?

Bummer........I was hoping someone, besides me, plays Ultima Online. Anybody?
  3. S

Raising Alkalinity With Baking Soda?

Does anyone know the dosage formula for using baking soda to raise alkalinity?
  4. S

Maiden Hair Dying?

Thanks much Catalyst. That was VERY helpful information. I'll check the alk immediately. I'm also happy to hear that it can come back. It is too nice-looking and a great contrast in the tank to lose it. Bob
  5. S

Maiden Hair Dying?

No, I have yet to see a snail go near it. It isn't apparent in the photo, but the white streak is the Maiden Hair filaments "bleached" out. The filaments are still there.
  6. S

Maiden Hair Dying?

Yes, I did pour the Red Slime remover into the tank after Drs. Foster & Smith phoned me and assured me it was "reef safe." I think I need to contact them again and see what they have to say about this.
  7. S

Maiden Hair Dying?

I bought a nice live rock covered in gorgeous Maiden Hair from LiveAquaria.com and put it in my tank. It did just fine for a couple weeks. The only changes I made were I put new power compacts in one of my two fixtures on the tank and I treated the tank with RedSlime Control. Now it looks like...
  8. S

Old Power Compact Bulbs Won't Come Out.......

You're a sick, sick woman Cat.................*sigh* lol I was really frustrated. I just *knew* the tubes were going to shatter in my hand and that all of my Plavix-filled blood would pour out until I was flat on the floor.......but I always imagine the worst. :bouncebox
  9. S

Woohoo! I got one off so far! You were right Beezlebob, there was just enough of a coating of corrosion (less that paper thin) sticking the connector females to the pins. I forced the connector up and down as best I could and the blasted thing broke loose. Here's hoping the rest come loose...
  10. S

Well, shoot, that didn't work. The connector is only about a little bit over twice the thickness of the pins, so I'm pretty sure it pulls straight out, as there is no room for it to pull up and out. Heading for the freezer, I guess....the fixture is 48" long tho......... Grrrrrr
  11. S

ok......heading back to it. Thanks
  12. S

Pull up on the connector and then out? If that fails, I'll try the freezer. Thanks! Bob
  13. S

No, there isn't any salt creep or buildup of any kind. I guess the plexiglass cover is working well. I have been working on prying it with a screwdriver and it is obvious, that if I continue to do so, the connector is going to break.........possibly along with the tube in my hand. This thing...
  14. S

Well, my new power compacts came today. I went to replace them and the old ones refuse to budge from the connector. My new fixture has individual leads to each pin, but this older (but still fairly recent) fixture has a black rectangular connector that all the pins fit into at once......if you...
  15. S

Blue Vet Rx REDSLIME CONTROL

I'll do that......thanks. That kinda' ticks me off that they would leave that little tidbit out.......kind of an important one, wouldn't you say? Bob
  16. S

Red Gracilaria Macro Algae?

Has anyone had experience with this algae? I am thinking of buying some from a guy on eBay. He claims that it is hardy and that my yellow and hippo tangs will love it. Anyone know if they will eat it? Thanks, Bob
  17. S

Hair Algae What Do I Do Now!!!

My yellow tang loves it!
  18. S

I'm going by what Drs. Foster & Smith told me when they called me. Nothing else (visible anyway) was affected by it. The red slime is history, tho. I have cut back on how much I feed (feel sorry for the little guys) and have new tubes coming tomorrow for my older PC fixture (the other one is...
  19. S

I am using two 48" Corallife power compact fixtures on my 75-gallon tank: four 65-watt 10000k tubes four 65-watt actinice tubes four lunar LEDs