Search results

1. Uncle99

White Light

Anyone help me understand what white light does in a Reef Tank? Do corals require “white” light? I note that LFS are running all blue ( for obvious reasons) all day, but is there any long term effect of giving all the spectrums, with an emphasis on blue, but virtually no white? I do like the...
  2. Uncle99

Yellow Tang Eats Crazy Glue

About 4 days ago, I re-glued a frag, seemed simple enough, done it 100's of times. Right after I let go of the frag, my YT went over and took a bite. And yes, he now has crazy glue on his mouth. That's very bad news! The good news is while stuck to his upper lip, it has not affected his...
  3. Uncle99

New Fluval E Series Heater

Replaced an Eheim Heater with a new Fluval E Series a couple of weeks ago. What a great heater, quite intelligent, does not flux more than .5 degree, auto shutoff if not enough or pulled from the water, highly visable information window that changes colour when more than 2 degree higher or...
  4. Uncle99

Fuge Light with Magnet

Want to add a light to my fuge. The one I want is held on the back by a magnet on the inside of the fuge in the water. My Hydors are also held in place magnetically. I understood that "metals" in SW tanks is a "bad thing". Can anyone comment, are magnets in contact with the water bad for...
  5. Uncle99

My Plenum

For as long as I have been running SW tanks, more than 25 years, in addition to LR, I always run a DSB over a plenum area. Two powerheads pull the water from underneath the DSB, in the free water area, allowing water to "fall" through the sand bed,to be cleaned, (so I am assuming) then up the...
  6. Uncle99

Increase Carbon Dose Amount?

For 10 months I have been carbon dosing with RS NoPox to keep nitrates in control. I have a target of 5ppm, using 10 ml per day, and I have maintained this level up til now. Over the course of the last three months or so, I have added another 20 or so Corals to the existing 30. I have noticed...
  7. Uncle99

PH - Chase or Not

I have always followed reefers advice that PH should be in the range of 7.8-8.4, and, if your PH is in this range, your fine. "Don't chase PH" is what most say. Yup, over 20 months we have some growth. Mine stays about 7.8 on its own, but, I read a lot of hobbists say that corals calcify faster...
  8. Uncle99

Red Sea Colours Experiment

I am a lover of Red Sea products. All are very good, quality is great, and if used correctly, bring great results. Since my DT is now closed to any further additions and the water has remained on point for 4 months now (running for 17 months) I am going to try the Red Sea Colours Program as an...
  9. Uncle99

Big increase in Nitrate 0 to 10 in a week

i have a 70g cycled 12 months ago. Been running for 15 now. At four months I started carbon dosing daily. For the last 8 months nitrate and phosphate was zero. Since I thought carbon dosing was more for reduction of nitrate and phosphate and mine has been zero for 8 months, I stopped a week ago...
  10. Uncle99

Uncle99 -70g rebuild

After 14 months, I have completed my rebuild which should be good for the next 5 years. My goal this time, my 5th in 25, was to actually listen to those people on this site and employee those things which in the past, I did not pay attention to. Those were: 1- Having consistent, stable, perfect...
  11. Uncle99

Enhance Coral Colours?

interested in anyone out their that have an opinion on if corals colours can be enhanced. I have many softies and LPS type corals and Wonder what RedSea Colours Product does for corals. My colours are great now, cycled about 18 months ago, I am just curious what this stuff can do....or is just...
  12. Uncle99

Feeding Mandarin

i have added a mandarin flush to my 2 year old 70g reef with deep sand bed and 50# LR. I use no sump. He is the only exclusive POD eater in the tank. The LR is quite porous so lots of places for PODS to multiply. My question....Should my current setup provide enough food for this one...
  13. Uncle99

Hypo-Salinity and Cupramine Ick treatment

Just finished subject treatment with great results. Darwin Clown clean in 8 days. Raised temp to 81.5, then 7 days at 1.009 followed by the addition of cupramine at half the recommended SW dose for another 7 days and then back up to 1.024 in another 7 days. Now transferred from 5g hospital to...
  14. Uncle99

Lawnmower blend (need only algae?)

Hi all: I was hoping to get some feedback on subject. Does a lawnmower blenny eat anything else but green algae? While she does a fab job at cleaning up the small amounts of algae in my tank, I have never seen her eat anything else, no flake, no pellet, no brine, no myst shrimp....just algae...
  15. Uncle99

Starting SPS

I wonder if people who know SPS could give some info? I have a 20g which I increased to 65g full of softies, clams, shrimps, black Ocellaris. I left this 2 foot wide space in the middle which I would like to add SPS, say Acropora or the like. I can sustain perfect saltwater parameters in my...
  16. Uncle99

Transfer from 20G to 70G-?

I am transferring my 20g reef to a 70g reef. The 20g has been going for 3 years now. I have just finished setting up the 60g, with saltwater, deep live sand, filters, wave makers, and lighting, and this has been going for 2 weeks. Virtually identical setup in both, except live rock and current...
  17. Uncle99

BTA and LTA's

In recent posts we have been hearing about trouble with anenomes. Anenomes are not difficult and quite long lived, but require the following. - perfect salinity and temp - very bright light, say 400-500 PAR, correct spectrum, MH or LED. - once or twice a week feedings - stable conditions -...
  18. Uncle99

Good day

new to your community but 30 years in the hobby. Currently running 20 gallon softy tank