Search results

1. dbetts

Powerhead advice

Hello all! I am in desperate need of buying new powerheads and was hoping to get your take on it. My tank is a 55 gallon mixed reef (mostly soft and LPS). I was looking at the Aqamai KPS Wavemaker Pump as a potential as well as the Current USA eFlux Wave Pump kit. Does anyone have experience...
  2. dbetts

Reef podcasts?

Hello fellow reefers! I was wondering if anyone knows about any good aquarium podcasts? I like to listen to podcasts when I'm at work, and have tried to find some about the aquarium hobby, but I can't seem to! I have listened to a few that only had a few episodes, then seemed to stop posting...
  3. dbetts

HOB refugium advice?

Hello all, I am contemplating the idea of purchasing a HOB refugium for my 55 gallon reef. Here is the actual unit I am looking at: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FRX9DW0/?tag=reefsanc-20 Anyways, I was hoping to get some advice/input from the RS community about HOB refugiums. Do you like them...
  4. dbetts

Help with Coral ID

Hello fellow reefers! I purchased a 4 pack of "assorted frags" and of course they don't tell me what they are. So I was hoping for some help identifying them. :) My thoughts are: top left: xenia or organ pipe top right: trachyphyllia bottom left: cyphastrea maybe? bottom right: pagoda
  5. dbetts

Upgrading my lighting

Hello all, A few months ago I was contemplating upgrading my lighting, and I am now in the position to actually do it. I keep hearing that AI Hydras are the way to go (especially since I want to keep with LEDs). However, I would really really like to not spend almost $1,000 on lighting. I know...
  6. dbetts

Refugium or another light fixture?

So I'm wanting to do some type of upgrade to my tank with a portion of my tax return this year but don't want to spend an outrageous amount of money. So my question is this: Should I get a refugium or add another LED fixture? If I splurge on a refugium, I won't have enough money to also get a...
  7. dbetts

dbetts' 55 gallon reef

So my tank has been up for a couple months now and I never started a chronicle, but better late than never right?? Unfortunately, I have no pictures of me setting it up, but I do have some of it while I was fighting some algae so I'll post those as well. I used to keep a small freshwater tank...
  8. dbetts

Lights while I'm gone

So I am leaving for the weekend and I don't have my lights on a controller yet (it's my next purchase, but I don't have the money right now). I was wondering what would be the best thing for me to do with them while I can't manually control them? My tank is across the room from a large sliding...
  9. dbetts

Something on my Green Star Polyps

I bought GSP from my LFS 6 days ago, and they have been doing great. One thing I noticed after I put them into my tank though were these weird balloon looking things. They basically look like a tree with the ends being large balloons. Color is like a transparent dark green. Sorry for the...
  10. dbetts

Protein Skimmer Suggestions

I am wanting to purchase a HOB protein skimmer for my 55 gallon tank. I am planning on going to my LFS after work today in order to look at ones they have, but thought I'd also check out Amazon as well. Assuming Amazon has cheaper prices (which is almost always true) I picked out two different...
  11. dbetts

Help with my GBTA

I concluded that my tank is way too young to house an anemone, and I got caught in the LFS salesman just trying to make a sale by saying it would be fine (and being so new to this, I believe everything they tell me). But I cannot return my friend now so I was hoping for some advice. After about...
  12. dbetts

Bubbletip Anemone Question

I have a green bubbletip in my tank and he was doing great. Found a spot between two rocks with some water flow that brought food right to him and he seemed pretty content. I then added a brittle star and a cleaner shrimp and the next morning the bubbletip had disappeared. I found him under a...