Search results

1. dgilbert2

Multicolor Dwarf Angel & C130?

I've seen a lovely Multicolor Dwarf Angel today and would love to add it to my C130 reef tank. However, I think the C130 is too small? Apart from my corals I only have two small common Clownfish. Would you add, or keep away?
  2. dgilbert2

Skimmer Replacement C130

I am considering replacing my stock C130 skimmer as we're getting tried of the noise from the air inlet pipe all the time and either overflowing or doing nothing. Whats the latest choice that's easy to fit without any modifications and is more effective at skimming?
  3. dgilbert2

Fish Choice for my C130?

Sadly one of my Common Clownfish died over the holidays after keeping him for over 5 years. So I'm now left with just a single Clownfish with no other fish. Therefore its time to re-stock, but not sure what is best? 1) Buy another Common Clown but worried the original will not like an intruder...
  4. dgilbert2

Really Noisey C130 Stock Skimmer

The other night my stock C130 skimmer suddenly became really noisy. On investigation I found all the loud noises were coming from the air inlet pipe. I took the pump out and cleaned the impeller and air inlet ports etc but it made no difference (it was actually still quite clean). I then turned...
  5. dgilbert2

LED Maximum % Power Setting

Having slowly increased over a period of many weeks, what have you set your LED % power too? Please select the closest from the list in the poll. Also, please post what made you stop at this setting and which tank and LED system you are using.
  6. dgilbert2

Nitrate & Phosphate MINIMUM levels?

I was quite surprised when I read up on Red Seas NO3 : PO4-X that there is a recommened minimum level for Nitrate & Phospahtes, ie for enhanced coral coloration, levels of 0.25 ppm nitrate and 0.02 ppm phosphate. I have had my live rock for almost 8 years and it now maintains Nitrate and...
  7. dgilbert2

Bluefish LED Controller

Has anyone tried the Bluefish LED controller with their StevesLEDs and is it worth upgrading from the Typhon controller? http://shop.stevesleds.com/BlueFish-LED-Controller-8794102579.htm
  8. dgilbert2

Diffusing LED light?

A thought :hammerhead: I have a StevesLEDs on my C130. I've noticed how close it is to the water compared to other systems and wondered if putting a light diffuser would help to even out the light for the corals? Corals high up in the tank must be under quite a tight light "spot" from each LED?
  9. dgilbert2

Time to improve parameters?

Is it time to improve parameters in my C130? I really, really, really, don't want to chase numbers though! I want a maintenance regime that is sustainable through times of "distractions" away from my reef tank. I've said this before in other posts and that additives can do more harm than good...
  10. dgilbert2

Algae - Stay or go?

I have this calcareous algae that has been slowly growing over the months. It looks reasonably good but being calcareous I'm sure it will be using up some of my calcium. Should I keep it in or take it out?
  11. dgilbert2

HELP! Pump issue - really concerned

i am really worried! For some unknown reason tonight the main circulation pump in my Red Sea Max C130 just stopped. I checked there was no electrical problem and that the pump had not become blocked, but no problems were found. After about 4 minutes it suddenly started to work again, its as if...
  12. dgilbert2

Nano Cube 12G (JBL) Fans

Nano Cube 12G (JBL) replacement Fans Does anyone know the specification for these fans as I need to get two replacements, from the UK ideally?
  13. dgilbert2

Feather Duster Location

Where is the best place to put a feather duster? I put one in over the weekend but its hardly coming out any more so I'm wondering is they prefer calmer waters as it was getting blown about slightly?
  14. dgilbert2

H2Ocean Dry Mixing?

Just bought a 23KG tub of H2Ocean salt following good recommendations. It says though to mix the dry salt as ingredients may have settled to the bottom. How on earth do you dry mix that much salt!? :poke:
  15. dgilbert2

Steve's LEDS - The benefits

The thread below by Greg already contains massive amounts of really good information to help when first installing and setting up a stevesleds system. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/steves-leds.85536/ The purpose of this thread is NOT to go down that same path. So...
  16. dgilbert2

LED half way house??

My standard RSM c130 is lit by two 55w t5 power compacts. Is there a half way house where I can add some LEDs as well as these compacts to really bring out the colours of corals which look so much better under led lighting in shops? Years ago I seem to remember another actinic tube would help...
  17. dgilbert2

Carbon?

I don't know about you but often we put things into our tanks and then are not sure if there is a real benefit or if to carry on with it or not? I'm having that debate with Carbon at the moment for my RSM C130. The Red Sea carbon is very convenient for these tanks, just rinse in RO water and...
  18. dgilbert2

Clean up crews

I have never had much success with clean up crews, Turbo snails just don't seem to survive more than a few weeks. I therefore stopped buying anymore some years back until I read a number of posts on how to acclimatize them properly. So I thought I would give then another try but the three shops...
  19. dgilbert2

David's Red Sea Max C130

First post in my new C130 thread is similar to what I just posted in "New and Thinking", so apologies for that but it sets the scene. I went to Shirley Aquatics (near Birmingham) this weekend and they were selling off an ex display Red Sea Max C130 in black. Never been filled with water or...
  20. dgilbert2

Wrasse without Sand

I have always looked at the Banana wrasses but would they be happy without any sand? I do not want to add sand so only shelter would be the rocks.