Search results

1. L

Good Bye

October 31st will be the last day I will moderate the forum I currently am assigned. Most of November and December I will be in Europe and then in 2013 my time will be split between China and India on behalf of my work. I will not respond to posts after that date. From now until then I...
  2. L

Macro Algae for Marine Fishes

What I want to explain is the types of macro algae that can be cultured in the home aquarium/refugium that most herbivores will eat. I mention Tangs a lot in this post, however much applies to other herbivores and omnivores. So many people have been attracted to keeping Anemonefishes, yet they...
  3. L

Popeye -- NOT the Sailor

The subject of a fish having a swollen eye comes up now and then. The problem is that without a picture, it isn't always possible to tell if it is really Popeye or something else. There are several situations and conditions which could cause the eye to swell and that swelling can be minor or...
  4. L

Cloudy Eye(s)

FISH WITH CLOUDY EYE(S) I get enough questions about a fish with cloudy eye(s) that it's worth a sticky I will refer to. Beats having to write it out each time I get the inquiry. One Cloudy Eye The single cloudy eye can be due to a (A) bacterial infection (highest probability), an...
  5. L

Garlic Remedy

NOTE TO READERS: This is the end of another thread, hence the references to another poster. The original thread is located here: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/70599-what-these.html My apologies to RDrink25 for the hijack of RDrink25's thread. I didn't...
  6. L

Lymphocystis - Info and Cure

Many hobbyists have come across this viral infection. I thought I'd provide some general information and what the hobbyist should do. Lymphocystis is a common viral infection of ornamental marine (and freshwater) fishes, caused by a number of related viruses. Most hobbyists refer to this as...
  7. L

Fish Immune Boosters

When a fish is recovering from a disease, malnutrition, poor water quality, injury or any ailment, it is a good idea to give the fish a boost to its immune system. This group of additives are properly known as immune-stimulants. The reader should understand what is known and unknown about...
  8. L

fed properly and getting the proper nutrition

FED PROPERLY AND GETTING THE PROPER NUTRITION I used these words in various posts and, in the future, the words will appear as a link to this post. Sometimes I just write that the fish is 'starving.' This quite often evokes an indignant response from the hobbyist. But it isn't meant to be an...
  9. L

Glossary of Terms

There are many terms I and other aquarists use that the hobbyist may not fully understand or misunderstands. This is a short glossary of some FOWLR terms (I often use) relating to the marine hobby, which I hope will help the marine hobbyist and marine aquarist. Reef terms are only included if...
  10. L

What is LIVE Rock, Anyway?

I"ve been getting PMs regarding live rock, so I thought I'd post this to describe its functions, what it will and won't do, and the different 'levels' of what LIVE really means to us in the hobby. Since rock does affect the well being of marine life, especially fish, I thought this might be an...
  11. L

Euthanasia -- Putting a Fish Down

It is a sad subject. I'm posting it on its own so that I and others may refer to it should the need arise. Not exactly my favorite post for a sticky, but it is best to 'keep it handy.' As for the hobbyist, it is best to be prepared and this is what you'll need to be prepared. THE NEED...
  12. L

Fish with White Spots That Went Away?

Case of the Disappearing White Spots or A Trip Down De Nile Time for another sticky. Sorry guys, but I'm really tired reading the same series of posts: "My fish have spots, is it Marine Ich?" then a day or two later: "Guess it wasn't Marine Ich, the spots are gone." Good grief! -...
  13. L

Noteworthy

I have been receiving an exceptionally large number of private messages (PMs) from members of Reef Sanctuary. If you have sent me one or are considering sending me a PM, first please read this: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/29940-pms-may-go-unanswered.html...
  14. L

Curing Fish of Marine Ich

Curing Fish of Marine Ich Intro There are several posts and threads in this Forum which describes the disease, choices for the cure, and the process to cure marine fishes of Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans). It seems like a lot to read and it can get confusing. So here’s a short...
  15. L

Formalin Treatment for Marine Fishes

INTRO It’s getting harder to find a good reference for performing a Formalin bath treatment for marine fishes. I’ve run out of them, to tell you the truth. Ones I used are no longer available. So, I thought I would share with the reader how I perform a Formalin bath treatment. It should...
  16. L

Lee's Bio (a.k.a. leebca)

I introduce myself to you by first telling you that the most important thing you can do as a hobbyist on the Internet is to KNOW the person who is giving you advice. Internet information, like information from your LFS requires no certificate, knowledge or 'test' to sound like they know what...
  17. L

The UV for U and Me

UV (for U and ME) The Questions I don’t wish to make this a long sticky post, but. . .you know me by now. :) I’ve been asked more than a few times about the use of an ultraviolet (UV) unit in marine aquarium systems. “Should I use one?” “Does it kill diseases?” “Will it cure...
  18. L

Black Small Smudges on your Anemonefish?

Hyper-Melanization Those small black smudges on the Anemonefish are reactions of the fish coming into contact with a marine lifeform that is irritating their skin. The result is the condition known as Hyper-Melanization. You can find sample photos of fishes with this condition on the...
  19. L

Traveling

I will be traveling on business to India and Nepal these next 12 days. I will check the Forum if I have an Internet connection. My connections will be at odd times, to say the least.
  20. L

How To Feed Macro Alage to Marine Fishes

BACKGROUND I guess I’ve taken it for granted that people know how to feed macro algae to their Tangs, Rabbitfishes, Angels, etc. The hobbyist is probably familiar with seeing the local fish store (LFS) feeding their fishes. But that is a one-shot visual observation. Unfortunately, most...