Search results

1. JT101

Help! Emergency (i think) - need new sump pump asap!!!!

Help! I just finished setting up my new 46 gallon tank with a Aqueon Pro-Flex Model 3 Sump. Sand and water in the tank, RO/DI water, sump all filled but NO salt yet (just has fresh RO/DI in both). Well, wouldn't you know but my return pump is defective and VERY noisy (Danner Model 5 500GPH)...
  2. JT101

What size sump?

Hello all, I recently got a 46g bowfront tank that I'm going to set up and gradually transfer over livestock from my 25g AP24 into. The recommended sump that the LFS tried to offer (an ESHOPP's refugium/sump combo) is smaller than the largest one I can fit in the bottom of the stand. Is it...
  3. JT101

I still don't understand refugiums...!

Sorry gang, but here I go again...! To this day I still don't understand how a refugium can sort of "force" all the microalgae and macroalgae growth to grow inside IT, and magically keep the display tank clear. I mean, how does the tank "know" not to allow any HA to grow in the display...
  4. JT101

Starting a new tank

Hello all, I have an AquaPod AP24 that was established June 2007. I just came across a 46 gallon bowfront tank that I'm interested in puchasing from an LFS. The new tank setup has provisions for a refugium (which I never had with the AP24) as well as a decent skimmer (my NanoCustoms skimmer...
  5. JT101

Almost ready to throw in the towel

Hello All, I'm going on 3 years and and 3 months with my AP24. I had a gradual hair algae outbreak about 7 months ago and I have been battling it ever since. I have taken to scrub each and every rock bare with a brush, then running a diatom filter in the tank, THEN doing 3 massive 40% WC in...
  6. JT101

I think cyano can be CURED!

Not just controlled, CURED!!! I used Chemi Clean about 2 weeks ago and there hasn't been a TRACE of ANY red slime, cyano or any other type of red algae since the treatment. I know that it has been said that it can come back even after a treatment, but I have to think that one of the two...
  7. JT101

Confused about Red Slime/Cyano origin

Hello all, I was at my wits end battling the dreaded cyanobacter in my AP24. I tried scrubbing the rock while running a DE filter for 2 days (I did this at least 2x), practically starving my fish and corals of food and light, siphoning all the substrate etc. Every time I would do this, the...
  8. JT101

Need a new skimmer pump ASAP!!!

HELP - PLEASE :surrender: I have a Sapphire Aquatics AP24 skimmer. This is one of the earlier versions that sints completely inside the back chamber of the CurrentUSA AquaPod 24. The pump is the one that has the little grey slide switch to control the bubble intensity. Due to...
  9. JT101

Red and Hair Algae taking over...slowly...

Hello! It's been a while :wave: :wave: :wave: Help!! My reef tank is slowly being overtaken by hair algae and cyano. My AquaPod 24 was established in June 2007. For almost 3 years now I’ve had basically the same inhabitants: a hawkfish, a pair of oscellaris clowns, and a small blue...
  10. JT101

Please help with lighting question...!

My AquaPod originally came with (2) 32W dual power compact bulbs. One was a “dual actinic” (a 420nm and a 460nm bulb, both connected together with a glass "blob" like all PCs are) and the other was a “dual daylight” (a 6,700K and a 10,000K bulb, also both connected together). The total of...
  11. JT101

Is it really true...

That once an open brain gets a cut or a nick, and the exposed skeleton develops ANY form of nuisance algae, that it is extremely difficult (bordering on the impossible) to nurse it back to health? I was speaking to the owner of a fantastic LFS store nearby me. I explained the problems with...
  12. JT101

Grounding Probes: Gadget or not?

My AP24 has been established since June 2007. On a whim, just today, I dropped one lead of a DVM into the tank, set the DVM to AC volts, then touched the other lead to the ground pin of the closest AC outlet. I was pretty astonished to read a voltage of 13.85VAC!!! I have no idea how long it...
  13. JT101

I don't add ANYTHING anymore...!

To those of you who have small tanks (like an AquaPod 24) please do not feel that dosing ANYTHING is necessary. I used to add Bio-Calcium and superbuffer dkH along with regular large WC's using Tropic Marin Pro Reef. One day I just quit cold turkey on the additives and noticed within a week...
  14. JT101

Snails Covered In Coraline - Good Or Bad???

All of my snails' shells are gradually getting covered in a coating of coraline! I know that this stuff is supposed to be a "good sign" but on a snail? I am worried that coraline will somehow hinder the growth of their shells. For now, it looks pretty cool, watching all these purple snails...
  15. JT101

Are GSP VERY prone to pouting after handling?

My green star polyps seem to be, without a doubt, the most finicky of all my corals. I can "turkey baste" my zoas, paly, trachy, mushrooms, ricordia, leather and even my plate coral. All of them open up within 20 minutes at the most. Not so with my GSP. If I even LIGHTLY touch it, it slowly...
  16. JT101

Cannot stop brownish algae on sand

My AP24 was established June 2007. I used to use NSW for the longest time but eventually tired of lugging heavy jugs of water from the local ocean inlet so I have been using Tropic Marin Pro Reef for almost a year now. My water source is a 6-stage Water General RO/DI system with two "in...
  17. JT101

Help! My Sea Hare Disappeared!!

I just bought a really cool-looking sea hare about 2 weeks ago for my AquaPod 24. It's not the usual brownish "poop-colored" ones you see in most stores - this one is grey with bright blue spots and long "hairs". Anyway, it seemed to be pretty happy eating away at some detritus and algae I had...
  18. JT101

Brain coral just won't "heal"

I have a red/green brain that developed a little "cut" at one point, allowing nuisance algae to take over a 1/8" portion of its outer skeleton ridge. The coral is doing fine now, but it has never "healed over" this ridge. I was hoping that if it "closed over" this bare spot, then the algae...
  19. JT101

WHEN to change RO/DI filters and resin???

Hello All, First off, Happy Holidays to everyone :hallo: !! I have a Water General RD-102 6-stage system and an HM Digital in-line TDS Meter. it's a great system. I installed it last winter. I noticed in the past few months, when I turn the system on to produce RO/DI water, the output...
  20. JT101

LOWEST heat-emitting power head....?

Hello All, In my AP24 I replaced the stock recirc pump with a MaxiJet 1200 in June 2007 when my tank was first set-up. Later on I added two Koralia Nanos in each corner. Ever since I added the MJ1200 I noticed that my tank temps went up a couple of degrees and I never did anything about...