Search results

1. extexan

FOWLR with live sand?

I have often pondered that question myself. What kinds of fish do you plan to keep in it? Are you going to keep any LR at all? If you keep triggers, eels, and others, you may want coarser sand as they can really stir it up. On the other hand, crushed coral may be difficult to keep as clean as...
  2. extexan

OT: Impossible question

Re: Impossible question Gary, it's gotta be putting LR on top of sand!
  3. extexan

Fresh Water to Salt Water

One of the biggest issues with converting is the use of copper in your FW tank. If you plan to have corals, or inverts, the residual copper can kill them. You could use it as a QT if nothing else...highly recommended.
  4. extexan

Water changes during the cure of live rock

I started a brand new tank with 115 lbs of LR fresh from Fiji to me. I did not do any water changes until the nitrites dropped to zero. I ended up with several feather dusters, an unknown snail, a spider crab, some type of porites coral, a small colony of palys, and assorted macroalgae before...
  5. extexan

Make your own moon lights for less than $1

That's awesome! I am going to expound upon your creativity. We have a lot of solar lights around the pool, and this weekend I am going to try to rig one so that the solar pickups are remote from the on/off sensor and the ni-cads. I think this will work provided I can find some decent ni-cads...
  6. extexan

ideas for another tank, 30 gallon high

How about a jawfish tank? They are very entertaining, and it's better (IMO) that they are by themselves. It's very cool to watch them sneak over to the other's burrow, steal a piece of coral, and place it in front of their own. They will hover over their own burrows constantly...but that's just me.
  7. extexan

Clean up crew

I have a 120 gallon tank. Currently, I have probably 20 snails: cerith, astrea, trochus, bumblebee, and nassarius. I have maybe 10 hermit crabs: red and blue legged. They seem to keep up with the algae problems. I didn't want to start with a hundred critters, as I thought if they could keep up...
  8. extexan

Greeting

Welcome Noob! All the answers you need (and then some) are here! The first thing I suggest is figure out your budget, and how much you want to spend on your tank. You can pretty much count on spending $30 per gallon to get it cycled, if you cycle it with LR. Good luck!
  9. extexan

Strip Tests Vs. Liquid Tests

I use the salifert as well, but I have to get my wife to read them because I'm color blind.
  10. extexan

Hello, im new here but i have a couple questions

All of the above are correct. Wait until your nitrites drop to zero. By then, your ammonia will be zero as well. Then do a water change. I didn't see how big your tank was. I usually do at least 25% water change after cycling a new tank. Then, add your specimens one at a time. Then check your...
  11. extexan

newbe

This is a very helpful start to someone just starting out in the hobby. Saltwater Aquariums 101
  12. extexan

first post

Yeah, Sasquatch is right. Photobucket.com will post anything you put there for free. You then just copy the link in your post.
  13. extexan

Ye old stocking limit question!

My wife and daughter constantly ask me the age-old question: How many fish can we put in the tank? I have to bite my lip, and calmly say that it's not important how many fish we put into the tank, it's that we find specimens that get along with each other and have lots of room to live...
  14. extexan

Need Your Help, New 72 Gallon Set Up

Go for it...part of the experience is learning how by doing. We all have made mistakes, and we all have learned from them.
  15. extexan

Power heads

I have a pair of Hydor Koralia phs. They work well, are fairly inexpensive, and attach easily to your tank. They use a magnet to stick to your tank. No suction cups. Plus, one can aim them in various directions. They come apart easily as well for cleaning.
  16. extexan

maitenence duties?

I have always done a minimum of 5% per week. After cycling a new tank, I usually do 5% every other day for a couple of weeks. Keep after your water testing.
  17. extexan

New DAS tank

Oh yeah, one more thing. I found my microbubbling problem. I knew it was a combination problem with my skimmer and the main pump which are in the same box, yet different compartments. I felt that bubbles from the skimmer were somehow getting through the prefilter and carbon pads, and making it...
  18. extexan

New DAS tank

I got my critters this weekend. Several cerith, nasarrius, astrea, bumblebee snails, and one mystery snail. A few red and blue legged hermits, and a horseshoe crab, and a sandsifting star. All are doing well. A couple of the astrea snail found the "garden of eden" of lush green algae on the...
  19. extexan

pic of my new 150gal system

Boozeman, you're HILARIOUS!
  20. extexan

Too soon for algae on glass and sand

You're doing fine. Be patient. It will run its course and all will be well.