Search results

1. Fishdad1

Marine velvet - fallow tank with one fish?

Sounds like you need a QT. You can set up a brand new ten gallon for about 35 bucks here in the colonies.
  2. Fishdad1

Fishdad1's Reef Setup

Why?
  3. Fishdad1

Fishdad1's Reef Setup

Some updated photos...
  4. Fishdad1

180G Upgrade. A TON of weight! Advice please. :)

Yep, even better. Mike, just to clarify we are talking about the header going perpendicular to the joists, thus displacing the weight across more than one. Bearjohnson is right on with his reco.
  5. Fishdad1

Iodine test kits what do you recommend

Seachem makes a test kit that I have used and its appears to be accurate. Like Dave said its a complicated thing to test for so my recommendation comes with an *. When I used it, it came in at .06 which is exactly what RSCP claims to have in it. This also somewhat confirmed that if it is even...
  6. Fishdad1

It might be a good idea to put maybe a 4 foot 4x4 between the top of the jack and the joists. That way the weight would displace much more across more than one joist. I would also put 4x4s under the jacks too. Your basement floor is "supposed" to be 4 inches of concrete but I have seen it as...
  7. Fishdad1

Put two of those floor jacks underneath the beam to displace the weight of the tank. They'll hold it no problem. And cheap too at Home Depot.
  8. Fishdad1

Fire Worm or harmless Bristle?

If I ever start a new reef it will probably be with dry rock then. Having a Mantis Shrimp hitch hiker really outweighs the benefits.
  9. Fishdad1

Wow, that's pretty amazing.
  10. Fishdad1

Ultra algae x

Little update... Dinos were almost beaten back by methods described above. However for some reason they are making a major come back. For the past week they have grown enough to cover the substrate and begin to smother coral. I have not missed daily siphoning by even one day. I've going to...
  11. Fishdad1

Nice collection of worms. I don't like the thought of these guys in my tank. It creeps me out a bit. I wonder, is there any downside to cycling a tank with dead rock and adding pods and cuc that you are more comfortable with?
  12. Fishdad1

Fishdad1's Reef Setup

That's a good point. BTW I thought all things deadly come out of Australia. I watched an NatGeo film about how Australia has the highest concentration of deadly creepy crawlies in the world.
  13. Fishdad1

Equipment help + an ID

Looks like the Genus Pareurythoe on Chucks Addiction. A type of bristleworm.
  14. Fishdad1

Fishdad1's Reef Setup

Went digital...
  15. Fishdad1

GlennF's reefing heaven!

I was surprised actually. Makes world wide reefing seem like a small community.
  16. Fishdad1

GlennF's reefing heaven!

Glenn, I just read your article in reef hobbyist about the synthetic reef. Very cool. I though I recognized those pictures.
  17. Fishdad1

Do you think its worth killing the benefits of the "live" rock in order to get rid of that worm?
  18. Fishdad1

Yeah I did but here's the weird thing... last night before I went to be I saw another one, like 8 inches long and fat too. I tried to catch him but he scurried away. I have never seen a worm in my tank in the six or seven months that I've been doing this now I see two in less than a few hours. I...
  19. Fishdad1

Hmm, I really haven't had any issues with coral being eaten.
  20. Fishdad1