Search results

1. framerguy

ID/Treatment for Angel Fish

My angel fish has a zit looking thing on it's side. Can anyone ID it and direct me on how to treat it? Possible relative info is that this fish has seemed to have a swim bladder problem for about three months. It seems to swim a little extra hard to stay in the water column and it's tail is...
  2. framerguy

Happy Birthday Brenda (sambrinar)

:bday1::crowd::bouncer::bouncer::bouncer::bouncer::bouncer:HAPPY BIRTHDAY:bouncer::bouncer::bouncer::bouncer::bouncer: :bday1: :crowd: Happy birthday Brenda, I hope it is a great one!!
  3. framerguy

Dosing iron

I have been studying about dosing Iron in my tank. According to The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 2: What Chemicals Must be Supplemented by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com adding iron to a tank with lots of macro algaes can be beneficial. In other articles it...
  4. framerguy

mud skippers

Is anyone here familiar with mudskipper husbandry. I have been reading online about them and found that they are a brackish water species. I haven't found whether or not they can adapt to NSW conditions, so my question is...Can they adapt to full NSW salinity? I am setting up a dedicated...
  5. framerguy

unknown equipment

Anybody know what this is?
  6. framerguy

Is this sponge? lichen? what?

This stuff has been growing for a while now and I just realized...I don't know what it is! Is it sponge? It looks like terrestrial tree lichen. I'm talking about the gold stuff center photo
  7. framerguy

Growing Seagrass

I'd like to start a thread on growing sea grasses. I have set my 75g tank up as a seagrass/mangrove tank with a 6" bed of mineral mud/fine sand mixture. It has been maturing since June. According to my research, seagrasses need a mature substrate about six months old and six inches deep or...
  8. framerguy

Autumn at your house

Fall is particularly beautiful this year in NE Georgia. I thought I would share photos of the leaves I see right outside my windows. I'm sure some of you northerners will scoff at the color, but for here it is quite nice. Outside the bathroom window with morning sun making it glow... Out the...
  9. framerguy

How to grow mangrove Q&A

I'm sure there are some folks here who have successfully grown mangroves. I have recently aquired a number of propagules and have planted them according to the instructions in the Reef Invertebrate book by Calfo and Fenner. They say if you want aerial roots you should float them so the green...
  10. framerguy

maintaining magnesium

I have been using magnesium chloride from Bulk Reef Supply to get the magnesium levels up. Last night my mag read 1125 and according to Farleys calculator it took 2600grams to get the mag up to 1300 in a 475 gallon system. That is nearly a one gallon bucket of magnesium! Should I use a mixture...
  11. framerguy

where to find seagrass and mangroves

I have only found one site that sells seagrass.. ReefCleaners.org - Home Does anyone know of other sites that sell seagrasses and mangroves?
  12. framerguy

Shots of the 375 stocked!

I thought I'd show some photos of the new tank. I apologize for the bubbles. I built a bubble trap but it didn't let nearly enough water through so I have to make a bigger one. I have the parts, I just haven't done it yet. I hope you enjoy the photos! Here is a FTS... then some closer shots...
  13. framerguy

Upflow media reactor

I have built a new media reactor (mostly, I need a couple of more fittings). I thought I would share it... I used four inch PVC this time so I could get my hand into it more easily. The parts necessary are 1 @ 4" (all pvc)toilet flange [$4.77] 2@ 4" x 4" x 2" -T fittings [$8.66 ea] 1@ 4"...
  14. framerguy

Upflow Calcium Reactor build

Ok, I’m going to document my calcium reactor build for anyone who may be interested. It is a dual chamber upflow reactor. I built it bigger than it needed to be because if my tank can’t be bigger than Terry’s, then by golly the stuff that runs it can! I used 4 ½” clear acrylic tubing and 1/4”...
  15. framerguy

where to put the fittings

I am building a dual upflow calcium reactor. In most models of calcium reactors the outflow fitting is in the top for some reason. Is there a mechanical or chemical reason it can't be in the side near the top? Here is a photo... The fittings pictured are what I am asking about. The arrows...
  16. framerguy

Giant Beckett Skimmer build

I'd like to document my skimmer build. Please hold off on posting in the thread until it is complete then post questions and I'll answer as well as I can. I built this skimmer to be used on my system which will consist of a 375DT, and three refugiums including one 75g, one 55g, and one 30g...
  17. framerguy

Akwar'eum Too

Well, I've decided to end the Akwar'eum tank cronicle and start the new one. I will link to this one from the old one. Here is the old land of Akwar'eum if you want to look...:http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/21880-akwareum.html New news today is I have started my Beckett...
  18. framerguy

Tank raised anemones

Taking Anemones from the wild creates a huge hole in the reef. Not only is the anemone gone but the animals that relied on it for food and protection most likely die unless they are collected with the host. Tank raised anemones are a very good alternative to wild caught. I would like to applaud...
  19. framerguy

Flow questions-let me pick your brain

In my new tank build I will have room to install Carlson Surge devices. Does anyone think that two devices, one on either end would be adequate flow in a 400+g aquarium. I think they could be built out of Brute trashcans, so that's what...30 gallons or so? My plan is to run 2000 gallons through...
  20. framerguy

T5vs T6

I had never heard of T6 lighting until today. Does anyone know how it compares to T5 lighting?