Search results

1. T

re-doing aqua scape in established tank?

I've been looking at my 36g bow front recently and have been thinking about re-doing the aquascape. The thing is that this is a 3 yr old tank with live corals in it. so i gotta ask: good idea or bad idea. am i about to kill everything in the tank if i move stuff around? I am not thinking...
  2. T

No QT, but I want a new fish... Oh no, what to do???

the clown fish i have right was the first fish when i set up the tank 1.5 yrs ago. Now that the tank has enough corals, i want to add maybe 1 or 2 fish but since i don't have a QT, I am very hesitant. I don't know if i want to go through the trouble of setting up a QT, letting it cycle...
  3. T

My 1.5 year old beginner 36

my 1.5 year old tank. You can tell its a beginner tank by the presence of xenia and GSP's. I am thinking about making major changes to it, including removing most of the softies and adding more LPS (and dare i say it, maybe an SPS or 2). quick video showing its current progress. Comments...
  4. T

Recovering from near catastrophic events

I've had my tank for over a year. Its a 36 bow front reef mostly of LPS and softies. It has a HOB skimmer, and HOB refugium (that i have since replaced with HOB aqua clear 70) I recently had an event whereby for about 3 months straight, i battled a very aggressive red algae bloom. No matter...
  5. T

What a Huge difference!!

I just replaced all 4 T5 bulbs in my lighting unit, after 1 year of use. Oh boy, the difference is night and day. replaced the 4 coralife T5's with same brand replacement bulbs. Just thought I would share in case any of you are neglecting your bulbs.
  6. T

A new picture

From my new camera toy.
  7. T

Do I really need 10k's?

I have a 36gal bow front mostly LPS reef tank. It's lit by a Coralife 4bulb T5 HO light fixture (4x31w). It is coming up on one year and soon will need bulb replacements. It currently has the 2 10k and 2 actinic bulbs. I really like the look of the color of the actinic bulbs and am...
  8. T

Hitchhiker coral id pls

Hi, I found this (bottom, right) on a recently purchased rock of Trumplet corals. Its very small (maybe 1/2 inch in diameter). Sorry for the poor image, it's a heavily cropped phone pic. thanks!
  9. T

Ceramic frag plugs in the refugium?

Hi, is there any reason why I should NOT put my old used ceramic plugs in my hang-on-back refugium for my 36g reef tank? My thought is that they would make great rubble rock but i am not sure if there is any danger in doing so. your thoughts?
  10. T

7 month newbie update pic

Well, I've hit the 7 month mark into this hobby. The more I learn, the more i feel i know nothing. anyway, here is a quick snapshot of the tank as it stands today. It's a 36gal bow front. I've entertained the thought of "going bigger, badder, better", but I think I'm just gonna stick with...
  11. T

The stars must be aligned.

looking at my 7mo old tank: - All parameters are in range - Water quality seems good - Water is nice and clear - Skimmer seems to be dialed in nicely and the gunk froth looks good - Life in the tank looks happy and healthy - it is a joy to sit and enjoy looking at whats going on in the...
  12. T

Urchin with Zoa on its back

So, my tuxedo urchin is walking around with a zoa head as one of its trophies, looks kinda funny. But actually, that is not one of the species of zoas that i have in my tank and don't know where it came from. I would like to grab it and glue it to something. Can I without harming it?
  13. T

Ammonia in my RO water tank.

I have a BRS 5 stage RO/DI system that I've had for 6 months. it feeds into a gray 20g Brute container with auto shut off. I use about 50% of the water (10g) every week when i do water changes to the main display. This morning, i noticed an odor in the container and so i tested the water and...
  14. T

Keep it or remove it?

I have a 36g bowfront reef tank, 5mo old. In there, amongst some corals, i have cleaner shrimp and some hermit crabs, which every now and then molt. question is: do i remove the molted shells or can i just leave them in there? what are the pluses and minuses of the leaving vs removing...
  15. T

A pic or 2

couple of new additions to the tank (36 bow front). Because it is a relatively small tank, i only get frags.
  16. T

Torch Coral frag - One month later

picture of torch coral frag one month after i got it. to compare, here is a pic of when i first got it.
  17. T

I guess the site was down most of the day

I had been trying to access RS most of the day but its been down. Glad to see it back up!!
  18. T

New Torch Coral frag

New addition to the tank. Props to my LFS for having such nice stuff.
  19. T

Question about dipping corals

I'm a newbie. I recently purchased a coral at the LFS and i asked about dipping and was told: No need to dip because we here at the LFS dip our corals when we get them, too much dipping can harm them. is this true? Or should i dip new corals anyway? thanks!
  20. T

Zoa frag pic

playing with inserting images in posts.