Search results

1. charlesr1958

Educational Reef Video

This video was created by the local Mactan Aquarium and is shown to all visiting school children and is also distributed throughout the local school system as well. Quite shocking at first but there is a bright side and I'm thrilled to see such educational material being produced localy...
  2. charlesr1958

Every Crab in the World

Thought I would share this link : Every Crab in the World Book (Hard copy orders) IT’S OUT! SYSTEMA BRACHYURORUM! EVERY CRAB IN THE WORLD IN A BOOK! « Raffles Museum News or you can download the entire publication in its PDF format ...
  3. charlesr1958

Down, but not out...yet!

Even though its only been one week, it seems like such a long time and am extremely glad to be back amongst the living. On the morning of the 2nd, during my morning exercise routine, I went for an extra "burn" at the end of it and... gave myself a heart attack...lol Thankfully I heeded the...
  4. charlesr1958

Part Four is now online

For those who may have read my ongoing article series on our local fringing reef, I just put Part Four (Sargassum Kelp) online. The Natural Reef Aquarium - Part Four Chuck
  5. charlesr1958

Shrimp Identifications

Am hoping someone with the expertise to identify some recently caught shrimp species will be able to help. Palaemonidae Shrimp Chuck
  6. charlesr1958

Part Three - See The Weeds

After numerous brain numbing hours I have finally managed to complete part three of "A Philippine Fringing Reef & The Reef Aquarium" detailing the macroalgae and their subtidal habitat. If this does not convince everyone to set up a macroalgae refugium, then nothing will....lol A Philippine...
  7. charlesr1958

Part Two

After a few weeks of non-stop study, snorkeling and typing, Part two is now on the streets, Hope you find it of use or enjoyment. A Philippine Fringing Reef & The Reef Aquarium Part Two A quick link to Part One Chuck
  8. charlesr1958

A Natural Reef Aquarium

I'm pleased to announce that I have completed the first of a five part series detailing the habitats that form the fringing reefs as found here in the Philippines and how those habitats can be put to use within our home aquarium systems, I truly hope that you find it of use. A Philippine...
  9. charlesr1958

A Reef Clean up Crew

For those of you who are truly just starting out. A Reef Clean up Crew - Hope it is of use. Chuck
  10. charlesr1958

Reef Aquarium Calculator & Log

Found this program linked to on another forum and was impressed enough with it that I put it onto my server to make it available to others as well. Has a lot of very usefull functions, and its free! Calculators - Link at bottom of the page Chuck
  11. charlesr1958

The Care of Harlequin Shrimp

While still in its unedited version, and still attempting to breed this species, I thought I would go ahead and put out what I have been putting together for some time now in the hopes it will inspire others to give it a try. One of the females just spawned this morning and hopefully this time...
  12. charlesr1958

Need a "hair" cut?

Since filament algae seems to be a common problem and having seen a number of animals suggested for its control, such as hermit crabs and sea urchins, I decided that instead of draining my one gallon desk top tank and starting from scratch, that I would try to find an animal in the wild that...
  13. charlesr1958

LockJaw and Krill

Just trying to get the word out as requested. Quote, Kelly Jedlicki " After much personal research, I think I have come up with the cause of lockjaw in puffers and predatory fish that have a history of being fed only or large amounts of freeze dried krill. I have written a preliminary paper...
  14. charlesr1958

Secore workshop

Since it is soon to begin, I thought others may enjoy being able to view daily updates of what is going on during this years workshop in Puerto Rico. Secore.org Weblog Chuck
  15. charlesr1958

Clownfish spawning / larvae development

Today I finally caught the little rabbits in the act and was able to get some photos and a movie of them doing so. Without fail, I get a new batch of eggs out of them every ten days! If I was not so busy with a shrimp project, I would raise them, as it is now, that project will have to wait a...
  16. charlesr1958

DIY Kreisel

For those of you interested in raising invertebrate larvae or even fish fry, I thought I would share the little breeding station I put together. I've been trying to raise harlequin shrimp larvae and at first tried the bubbles in the corner routine only to have the larvae killed by the bubbles...
  17. charlesr1958

Coral Genus ID

I don't know about ya all, but when trying to ID a coral, I've found that getting into the genus group is the hardest part, and as such, I put together a little guide to help me do that quite some time ago, thinking that others may have the same issue, I threw it together as a web page and it is...
  18. charlesr1958

Updated Reef Tour

Just getting the word out on the new additions/changes I made today to the reef tour. But do look for the photos to change as I get better ones, those added today were all done on one tank (of air) and was limited to those, for now. Hope you enjoy! Chuck's Reef Tour
  19. charlesr1958

North Marigondon Dive Trip

Okay, I died today and actualy made it to heaven, for today at least. We stopped by the new dive shop that hired me and took advantage of my "employee" discount and was able to finaly get into some scuba gear and enjoy the reef the way it was meant to be enjoyed. The first dive, I kept it above...
  20. charlesr1958

New Job!

Yes I am excited...lol Talk about lucking out yet again! Just off to the side of the beach that Linda (my wife) and I have frequented each week for the last three years, there is a little three story "hotel" (six rooms..lol) resort that was recently built. Wanting to get some look down views...