Search results

1. zimboy

Ahhhh My Filter

about an hour ago i started to make topoff water with my RO/DI. Went back 5 mins ago to discover that I somehow turned the hot tap on, instead of the cold. So my RO membrane is pretty much gone right? Considering there was more RO water than waste water, it seems the hot water ate right through...
  2. zimboy

My 47tall DIY upgrade

A little background... Started my salt tank in Dec 06, from a previous FW setup. Talked to one of my LFS that sold salt stuff, and he said that i would be fine just converting it over to salt, running pretty much the same equipment. "cool" i say to myself, " i don't have to spend any extra" So i...
  3. zimboy

Questions about painting a stand

So i have my stand skinned and the inside sealed, and i have decided to go with a blood red paint with black trim. Since this is a solid colour, i was hoping for some hints to get it nice and clean looking. I only have access to a sprayer at work, so i was going to roll the primer and all but...
  4. zimboy

DIY lumenarcs

So i got the Lumenarc III and Mini plans last nite, and am about to head to Home Depot to pick up a sola-tube. I just need to draw the plans out on a template, and get to cutting and riveting. Any hints or tips for cutting and working with specular aluminum would be appreciated. So far, I plan...
  5. zimboy

m-58 ballast and XM bulbs

So I was at the local scrappies yesterday looking for parts for one of our work vehicles, and i came across 3 250watt m-58 ballasts with all the fittings. Scrappers gave em to me free, because we're such good customers and all that. So my question: will XM 20K 250w bulbs work on these ballasts...
  6. zimboy

Bristle worms and pod population

I recently acquired 60lbs live rock from a friend, and since then i have noticed a large increase in my bristleworm population. Along with this increase in bristleworms i have noticed my pod population has seemed to decrease. My question is: do bristleworms feed on pods? from my understanding...
  7. zimboy

MH lighting config. Q's

Hi all, been away for a bit fighting fires, am back with $$ in my pocket and some questions about lighting configurations.. My tank dimensions are 72Lx22Hx19W (about 125 gallons). I wish to have enough light to keep higher light demanding corals/anemones/clams at all levels of the tank. It is...
  8. zimboy

OT: Happy Earth Day

Hey all, just wanted to say happy earth day. Enjoy the beauty of the planet (especially those slices of ocean we have) and lets all be aware of the impact our actions have on the planet, especially with concern to global warming. heres a link to Mr. Gores website about climate change An...
  9. zimboy

Pump intake question

I have a pump with 1.5" intake which i need to split so that i have 2 intakes. should my 2 intakes be 1.5" also, or should they be slightly smaller? like 1" intakes? I don't fully understand the dynamics of pump suction, but i am aware that limiting the intake can damage your pump. 2 1" pipes...
  10. zimboy

Help with API test kits

Those of you using API kits, I need your help... I spilled some of my waterchange water onto my little testing booklets, which contain the drop conversion charts for my calcium and carbonate hardness tests, making them pretty much useless... so please, if someone could copy those charts for me...
  11. zimboy

Bad luck and the rule of thirds

Well this has not been a good week for me and fish... my pink tail chalceus went carpet surfing on wed. my rope fish managed to climb up the pump intake while i had the strainer off cleaning it, i didn't realise it and turned the filter back on.... and on saturday i got a jewelled rockstripper/...
  12. zimboy

Best method for cleaning 2nd hand tank glass

Don't know if this is the right forum to post this, but here goes.. I bought a 2nd hand 125 gal aga, in pretty good condition. The only problem with it is there is some residue on the glass i can't seem to remove. He was using corrugated plastic (looks like corrugated cardboard, but is...
  13. zimboy

Questions about sump baffles

So, I'm about to order the glass cut for my sump/fuge and a couple of questions came up: 1) how much of a gap between your baffles and the glass side that you are gluing it to? i seem to remember someone saying 1/16" but is that 1/16" on each side or 1/16 of an inch clearance altogether...
  14. zimboy

Questions about Homemade UV steriliser

So our LFS closed down recently, and i knew one of the employees pretty well, so he grabbed me a bunch o stuff before they tossed it, amongst the goodies is a homemade uv sterilizer..... i pulled it apart to see whats what and that is when i realised... this has no quartz sleeve, the water runs...
  15. zimboy

Topless and smoking ;)

So i want to go topless on my new tank setup, but was wondering if smoke can contaminate your water? I don't smoke cigarettes, but i do smoke other stuff (c'mon I live in Canada). Is there a posibility of contamination? will my fish start swiming funny and getting the munchies? I know THC isnt...
  16. zimboy

I need help with pump choice for my skimmer

So.. One of the LFS here closed down, and i managed to get a 60"x 7" venturi skimmer with a mazzei model 684 injector. Cost : $0. 00 :) no pump tho, can't be that lucky.. My question is, what pump should i use to run this? heres the link to the mazzei specs...
  17. zimboy

Hi to all

Hello to all here. I just got into reefing this winter, having run fresh tanks for a little while. I have a 47 gallon tall tank, been running for 2 1/2 months. I currently have a Black tailed humbug, cleaner shrimp, and an orange spotted prawn goby. Cleanup is 5 chestnut snails and 5...