Search results

1. Disciple882542

Changing Metal Halide Bulbs (Geissman Megachrome)

Hey guys. It's time to change bulbs again. I am running two 250 watt HQI's(aquamedic ocean light magnetic ballast and pendant) with 2x110 watt actinic VHO's. I currently have Geissman Megachrome 12.5K bulbs, which I have been very happy with by the way, but am unable to find them at a...
  2. Disciple882542

I love Oreos! baby pic

Her 1st word was Da-Da but her second was cookie! She'll be a year old next month. How time flies when you're a daddy!
  3. Disciple882542

TFE Paste (Plumbing Question)

Does anyone know if this stuff is ok to use on threaded connections? Ace TFE Paste Pipe Thread Compound This stuff is a lot easier to use than teflon tape and I think it provides for a better connection than the tape. Thanks and God bless, Chris
  4. Disciple882542

Dino Issues

What’s the best way to get rid of dinos? I have started noticing some in my tank as of late. Here’s a description of my setup and maintenance: 75 Gallon w/ 30 gallon sump ASM G-3 recirc skimmer – pulls out a lot of goop Reactors: Carbon and Phosban Water Changes: 30 Gallons/month...
  5. Disciple882542

Borate Alkalinity

I purchased the Seachem Reef Status Magnesium, Carbonate, Borate Test Kit recently. I have a few questions concerning the need for testing of Borate within our systems. Here are my water parameters from last night: Ph – 8.3 Ca – 460 Total Alk – 3.6 meq/L Borate Alk – 1.3 meq/L Magnesium...
  6. Disciple882542

Vinegar and Kalkwasser

Does anyone have any experience with adding vinegar to top off water to get more out of your kalk reactor? I've heard that you can get more calcium out of the kalkwasser using this method. 1. What effects does adding vinegar have on alkalinity? 2. What effects does adding vinegar have...
  7. Disciple882542

Fleas in the yard

I don't have a cat or a dog but my neighbors have about 20 cats that keep on multiplying and multiplying. Long story short...I now have fleas in my yard. I'm working with the city's animal control officer to trap some of these cats but that doesn't help me with the fleas. After talking...
  8. Disciple882542

what's this algae?

I've have some stuff growing on a few of my rocks. It is brown, traps bubbles, and looks slimy. It has been growing in some of the higher flow areas in the tank. In this pic it is to the left of the orange monti. cap. and behind the pocill. I know it's a pretty fuzzy pic but do you...
  9. Disciple882542

Pic of my critters!

Here's the left side of my tank. Some of the corals look a little washed out compared to real life but I don't really know how to fix the photography issue yet. The hammer in the bottom left bleached a while back when I changed lights. He's eating well and is happy and extended most of the...
  10. Disciple882542

I finally finished my canopy

I've been busy lately!! Attached is a pic of my new canopy. I happy to finally be finished with it. I will also be painting the stand and aquarium trim the same color. The canopy was made from pine 1x4 and the doors were made from 3/4" plywood. I've never painted wood with a brush but was...
  11. Disciple882542

Green BTA Split

My green BTA has been pouting a bit lately and I finally figured out why. I now have two. They are about half the size of the one prior to the split. I've heard people trying to get these guys to split by scheduling water changes after feedings but it has never worked for me. I ended up...
  12. Disciple882542

GAC effecting Ca/Alk

I tested Ca/Alk the other day and noticed that they were unusually low: Calcium - 350 (usually 410-420) Alk - 7.6 (usually 10.5-11.0) PO4 - undetectable (no change) Salt - Reef Crystals (no change) Water change schedule - 25 gallons/month (no change) Magnesium - ? (ordered test kit)...
  13. Disciple882542

'Bugs in a pot

Looking forward to having some of the guys over for a crawfish boil tonight. There's just something about smelling the Zataran that gets my mouth to watering. sAnyone else out there frequently feed on these flavorful critters? God bless, Chris
  14. Disciple882542

Aquarium Controller Jr. - Need help choosing equipment

I need a little help understanding what Aquacontroller Jr. equipment I will need to control my devices. I’m moving my sump from underneath my aquarium to another part of the house. The equipment that will be in the sump area is as follows: - Mag 12 return pump - ASM G-3 recirculating...
  15. Disciple882542

DIY Media Reactor (a few questions)

I bought a few plumbing supplies last night for a DIY media reactor. I bought everything I need excluding the pump and media for $13. The reactor is going to be about 15-18” tall and constructed of 3” PVC. The water will be introduced through the side of the reactor and directed to the...
  16. Disciple882542

Fragging an Open Brain

Has anyone ever fragged an open brain? Mine looks like it’s trying to do some type of reproduction through “dropping” off a piece of its tissue. The tissue connecting the portion being “dropped” to the main body of the coral has progressively gotten thinner and thinner the past few days...
  17. Disciple882542

Sea Flo maxi jet mod kits

I just ordered a couple of these mj 1200 kits earlier this week. They haven't arrived yet but I'm pretty excited about them. Anyone else use these? I haven't heard anything but good things about them. This route seems to be a much more economical way to go compared to the vortec and even...
  18. Disciple882542

Looking for brackets to hang HQI Pendants

I would like to hang my aqua medic pendants from a couple of brackets mounted to the wall instead of suspending them from the ceiling. The wall these brackets will be mounted on has 3/4" plywood behind the plaster so I know it will be sturdy enough to hold those pendants. Something like what...
  19. Disciple882542

Gravity fed auto top-off system advice

I'm looking for an auto top off system or float switch for my system. I'm going to be using a gravity feed to my kalk reactor to my sump. Anyone know of a good system that will stand up to the kalk dosing and allow you to use a gravity feed instead of a pump? thanks and God bless, Disciple
  20. Disciple882542

I did it myself (with a few friends help)!!

I’ve been busy over the Christmas holiday. I was finally able to do a lot I have been planning on doing for a while. - My floor is now supported with a 4”x4” beam with three 4”x4” supports resting on 4” concrete cap blocks - I now have a dedicated 20 amp circuit installed for the tank...