Search results

1. S

New overflow box

Hi everyone, I have a 55 gallon tank with a pro-aquatics sump. I'm looking for a new overflow box as the old pro-aquatics overflow box is not visually appealing and is rigged with steel bolts and nuts (that i have to change out regularly). I'm looking for a new overflow box and was wondering...
  2. S

Is my tank going to be ready for corals/nems?

Hi everyone, I have a 55 gallon tank that has been running for about 1 year. As of now, it is a FOWLR tank with a cheap lighting system that I am planning on upgrading to a Maxspect R420R Razor LED 10000k fixture. The set up on my tank is very basic. 55 lbs live rock 60 lbs live sand UV...
  3. S

LED lighting for 55 gallon tank

Hi Everyone, I am planning on upgrading my lights to LED's... I have been looking at the Maxspect R420R Razor led systems, and was wondering if people that have them are happy with them? Pro's and cons? I want to stay within a $500 budget so if there are any other LED lights that you would...
  4. S

Current freshwater LED+

http://www.current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/satellite-freshwater-led-plus So I was at my LFS this past weekend, and I feel like I might have got jipped for his sale. Is this light ok for a saltwater aquarium with an anenome? I don't have any corals.. just LR, fish, and CUC. This unit...
  5. S

DIY 55 gallon tank stand and canopy

Hi Everyone, I've read through a few of the past threads and have seen a lot of great looking DIY stands that are cheaper and look much better than my store bought stand (I don't have a canopy). I'm planning on building it in about a month or so, and want to start the planning of it right now...
  6. S

Dry rock

Hi Everyone, I have a question about adding dry fiji (not live any more) rock. My friend took his tank down about 3 years ago, and stored his fiji live rock in a plastic bucket to just dry out. It's about 30-40 lbs of it, and I was wondering if I was to add some of it to my tank, would it be...
  7. S

ID for this nem

Hi, Please help me ID this nem that I bought from my LRS a week ago.. thanks!
  8. S

Sand bed lining turning brown

Hi, I have had my tank up for about 4 months now, and am starting to notice that along the lining of my sand bed, across my whole tank that it is forming a line of brown algea? Is there a way to keep the side of the glass clean? I've seen in DSB's that people use worms... Anyone have some...
  9. S

Ich destroying my tank!

What is the best way to get rid of ich? I've read that turning up the temp to about 83 degrees will do the trick.. in the past day, I've lost a few fish...
  10. S

Recommendation for best lighting

Hi everyone, I have an old Metal Halide fixture and am looking to upgrade to something less bulky (and hopefully not as noisy fan) light fixture. I know LED fixtures are the hot thing right now, but are there less expensive fixtures out there? I am hoping to spend 200-300$ for one. Right now my...
  11. S

Ich

So I've had my fish in my tank for a few days, and today out of no where, he is covered in ich. I don't have a qt tank, so everything I get goes straight into my tank... I've read that cleaner shrimp may be able to get rid of it... What can I do? Please help!!
  12. S

Upkeeping live rock

Hi, So I used cured live rock that I bought from a friend... I also have some fish in my tank and was wondering how I can clean the live rock off.. it had a lot of what I think are worm tubes that are still on the rock, and they are extremely dusty because of when I added sand to the tank. Can...
  13. S

Stocking my tank with fish

A few questions... So my cycle just completed a few days ago and last night I added a percula clown.. The guy at the fish store said that the baby brine shrimp will be fine to feed him, but when I'm looking online I see a lot of people say that I should be feeding it Spirulina. Is the brine...
  14. S

Cycle done?

Hi guys, My tank reading have been the following: 12/16 Ph 7.8 Ammonia .25 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0 12/18 Ph 8.1 Ammonia .25 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 5.0 12/19 Ph 8 Ammonia .50 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 7.5 12/24 Ph 8 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 20 Is it possible to have skipped the nitrite stage of the...
  15. S

CUC question

Hi everyone, So, my tank is cycling and I've read that it's smart to introduce the CUC to my tank first. I've read that Nass. snails are common to be the only CUC present in a tank. My question was how many should I introduce to my tank after it finishes the cycle? Do I do 1-2 a week, every 2...
  16. S

New lights for 55 gallon glass tank

Hi everyone, I'm looking into buying a new (smaller) light fixture... I bought my tank used and it came with a MH fixture, which is GIGANTIC! I'm looking for a smaller light that will eventually be able to handle anenomies and corals. Any suggestions? I'm on a budget so keep that in mind :)...
  17. S

More questions :)

Hi everyone, I've got more questions about my 55 gal tank.. sorry for blowing up the forum recently... Yesterday, I put my live sand and water into my tank, and was wondering how long it should take for the tank to clear up? Also, in my other post many people suggested that since I have...
  18. S

Live Rock

Hi everyone, Is buying live rock from a persons existing tank or sump a good idea? Craigslist has a bunch of people selling Fiji live rock for 2-3$ per pound compared to the $6-7 in store. If I do buy off craigslist, what do I look for when I'm selecting the rocks that I want? Thanks, Ryan
  19. S

Water changes

Hi Everyone, I have a question about water changes.. When I do a water change, and do 10% weekly, I think that this will break my siphon from my tank to wet/dry filter. After taking ~5.5 Gallons out of my tank (my tank is a 55 gal), do I add the water to the sump or straight in the tank...
  20. S

Ryan's 55 Saltwater aquarium

(This is just the start to my journal copied over from the SW starters forum... I'm moving it here so I can have a reference to see the progress of my tank) Hi everyone, I bought a tank from my friend and am going to likely set it up this weekend. I have MANY questions about what I can and...