Search results

1. K

Marine Ich Questions

OK - but one of Seachem's own FAQ items states that people are using test kits and getting numbers that are "off the charts" for ammonia - if the F in FAQ still means what it should, then this is obviously a big problem. From Seachem. Cupramine FAQ To me, that doesn't read as a 0.3 ppm...
  2. K

Marine Ich Questions

Is there a test kit that *IS* reliable for testing ammonia with Cupramine besides Seachem's own? The AmmoniaAlert badge is from Seachem and they list that as an item that is not affected by the false high reading that most test kits will show with Cupramine. I've heard that the Salifert test...
  3. K

Marine Ich Questions

Re: Recurring Cryptocaryon irritans infection during Hyposalinity Treatment #1 OK- I have a Seachem badge in the tank in prep for that. I hope that's enough since I've read cupramine throws regular ammonia tests out of whack. #2 - Do you have scientific data that outlines that bacteria in a...
  4. K

Marine Ich Questions

Hey, Lee - I'm one of your biggest fans these days :) I have a couple of questions as well. My display tank 150 gallon high, 48" wide) is currently fallow and will remain so for as long as it takes to get rid of this ich infection. I plan on at least two months. My fish are all in a 20...
  5. K

So what does everyone do for a living?

I'm an IT Infrastructure engineer working for a consultancy that services various large companies, including Verizon in Basking Ridge, NJ, Novartis based in Switzerland, several others. I'm essentially the guy who designs large virtualization and application hosting (aka "Cloud") infrastructures...
  6. K

Calcium reactor vs. Dosing Pumps?

Hey everyone, I've actually purchased a Calcium Reactor and CO2 tank for use with my system, but I've been a bit reluctant to hook it up thus far as it's another piece of equipment I need to maintain. My nagging question is - are there any huge benefits over using a calcium reactor...
  7. K

Hello from New Jersey, USA

I'm up north in Bergen County (Emerson, near Paramus - land of Malls).
  8. K

Firefish newb here....Questions

My purple firefish took a good THREE MONTHS before they became comfortable enough to swim around the tank. The ONLY time they would come out is when I fed the tank (and even then, not until after about a month). Firefish are skittish. They get over it, but it takes 'em a while to get comfortable...
  9. K

Reefkeeping Dangers

Vibrio vulnificus. I have severe psoriasis (95% coverage at worst during a bad flare). Remicade clears it up after a few months, but while I'm waiting my fish tank maint can't wait. :) Twice it landed me in the hospital with septicemia thanks to the above mentioned bacteria. The first time...
  10. K

If you could do it again.What would be different?

Here's what I would do differently (in fact, most of these below i've already done!): 1. Instead of going with a 150XH, if I was constrained to that volume (or thereabouts) I would go with something wider rather than a little taller. Perhaps a 180 or even a 200+ if I could swing it. A 48"...
  11. K

Hello from New Jersey, USA

Hello, All. I'm a long-time lurker, I mostly read the posts on MI and how to rid yourself of it. The posts here (particularly the ones by Lee) are very knowledgable and I'm glad RS exists :) I'm currently running my 150 gallon DT fallow (and will likely do so for a minimum of 3 months -...