Search results

1. A

ID an anemone

Anyone have any clue on this hitchhiker. he's been in my tanks for as long as I've had the live rock he' attached to. Hasn't bothered anything and has been about that size for at least five years.
  2. A

brain coral question

I have this brain coral purple and green. When I first picked it up it had way more green in the mouth valleys now its only got green in the immediate mouth area and some have gone totally purple? Too much light or not enough? its about 2/3 of the way down ~ 15 inches from 4 X24W T5. Didn't...
  3. A

cleaning Koralia pumps

Anyone have tips on how to get Koralia hydor circulating pumps apart for cleaning? Just muscle? Always afraid I'm going to snap the stem that goes into the impeller off.
  4. A

Anemone? found while fragging

Ok I was fragging my rather large chalice and after my blue LED moonlights came on I noticed a couple of spots glowing dark purple with yellow highlights in an area that had been completely shaded and covered over by the chalice. Looking up close through a magnifier lens they look like little...
  5. A

Favia ID please?

I picked up this two polyp frag from the discount tank at LFS . It was labelled as favia what do you folks think. This pic is pretty much as puffed up as it gets way less than my acans do. Lights out it puts out feeding tentacles. Reminds me of a candy cane with no stalk. I guess that makes...
  6. A

Wimpy Favia

I have a favia or at least thats what I think it is, I have a hard time telling them from faviites and other similar types, that doesnt seem to be very aggressive . It has allowed some eagle eye zoas to grow right up to it and actually slightly onto it at one little spot. I started doing some...
  7. A

favia/favites growth spreading

I noticed a spot on a favia frag in my tank that looks to be doing something weird. Most growth appears to be by polyps getting bigger then kind of getting a figure eight look pinching in forming a new full poly. One spot, at the leading edge of the specimen, though it appears that the polyp...
  8. A

LPS ID help

when I bought this as a little brown frag from rescue tank at LFS I was pretty sure it was a chalice of some sort. Now after a year of growth I'm not sure leaning that it might be some sort of Acan echinata. Never shows feeders but will open up and engulf pellets or mysis placed on surface...
  9. A

Can anyone ID this Faviid?

I'm thinking goinastrea but these guys are so hard to tell apart.
  10. A

Can Duncans eat fish?

I noticed an approx inch long clown fish MIA this AM. No body in tank, no body on floor from jumping out. I do have a small but healthy Duncan with about 5-6 heads that are about 1.5 inches across plus tentacles. Could an unwary clown settle in for the night and become a meal? I'm thinking why...
  11. A

Help on an SPS ID

Bought about 3-4 months ago as a green montipora. New growth branching up is white pinkish tips and then fills in green later. Is it a monti or not?
  12. A

Duncan tentacles weird shapes

The tentacles on the original head of my duncan are weird shapes. They are forked and end in bulges look like a war club of some celtic tribe. The several smaller new heads that have sprouted in the last 6 weeks or so all tentacles straight as an arrow and end in a point . What gives?
  13. A

Bubbling frag

I picked up a new chalice frag the other day and its starting to generate lots of gas bubbles at its surface? Sudden burst of photosynthesis giving off more CO2? Zooanthellae woke up? Never seen this before
  14. A

color shifting chalice

Ok I bought this chalice frag mabout 8 months ago as a raspberry pink chalice. After about a month in my tank it went from pink to a bright green. Well about 4 months ago I had to get new lighting. Went from a Current power compact using a 65W smartpac bulb to an aquatic life using 4 24 W bulbs...
  15. A

Snowtober killed things

Got whacked with 17 inches of snow day before halloween as much as i tried to keep tank warm after 3.5 half days without power my pair of clowns died and of course they were tucked way up in rock, as did a ton of bristle worms and pods. So far it looks like corals are just slightly annoyed but...
  16. A

Something to watch for

I had several specimens fade away recently and could not figure out what was going on all my parameters seemed fine but then the other day i noticed that during a water change my old water had a red cast to it. This must have been going on for a while but it didn't occur to me that it was...
  17. A

balck and white spot bristle worm

I have an acan lord that after many years of doing well has started slowly fading away. I thought I would try to rescue it by fragging it back to the few sound polyps left. When I busted open the coral I found a huge balck and white spotted britle worm . It was about an eigth of an inch thick...
  18. A

duncan placement

Whats best location for duncanopsamia. I got a frag about two weeks ago and it doesn't open fully regularly. Right now it about 6 inches from 65 watt PC in mod flow. Only occasionally opens fully most time its out only slightly . go for less light location?
  19. A

chalice types how close

How close can different varieties of chalice coral be placed to each other?
  20. A

Polyp bailout candy cane

I have a large candy cane that I did a little fragging on a couple of weeks back and today I noticed a couple of polyp heads bailout whole. I had a powerhead with a bad impeller and just replaced it last night so flow in that area may have been substandard for a bit and now is way more. Any...