Search results

1. M

Head loss

I'm pretty frustrated at head loss. This is more of rant than anything. I have an Eheim 1250 which is rate for 325 gph. After testing the actual amount it puts into my DT from my sump, it is actually around 125 gph. Is there a way to decrease this kind of loss, or is it just a fact of life? I...
  2. M

tank stand question

I am building a new stand for my 180 and was wondering if the bottom of the glass needs to be supported? I looked at some tank stands in a fish store and they all have 4 sides and then a center brace but nothing under the glass. Can anyone with a large tank chime in and help here before I get...
  3. M

Adding dsb in sump

Hi. I have my tank set up and all is good. I'm in the process of adding a new larger sump. In this sump I will be using my bioballs as trickle filter, then chamber 1 will have my pump for skimmer, air stone under bio balls, carbon, rowa, heaters etc. Chamber 2 I am putting a deep sand bed of...
  4. M

My 26" cube tank project is going nowhere....

I'm stuck. Can you help? I'm trying to decide on the construction of a new cube tank which I would like to be unbraced, and cannot decide if it needs to be 10 or 12mm glass with a single base or double. Have had so much conflicting info... What do you think?
  5. M

Time For A New Skimmer

ok guy's it's time for me to move away from my deltec mce600 it's just not doing the job on this new tank. now im looking for a skimmer that will fit into my small sump i like the look of the bubble magus nac6 this will be a super tight fit. dose anyone no of a good but smaller skimmer ?
  6. M

Moonlights

Has anyone bought moonlight LED bars off ebay and how do they attach.I have a full lid ,could I attach round the exsisting lights with superglue?
  7. M

Benefits to upgrading

Must stress that this would not be for some time, but I am looking at a tank tonight so would like some ideas in mind when I see it to try and decide if it's worth going for. It's a 6x2.3x2.3 with sump. My OH could build a stand as he's a welder. We wouldn't normally have opted for such a...
  8. M

Phosphate problems

Hi everyone. I have 2 different phosphates readings please help. I use aqua phos fe that has been in my phosban 150 for only a week but the reading leaving my reactor is greater than 0.64 on a red sea tester. The water in my tank is 0.36 on a red sea test kit. I dont understand this...
  9. M

Thermometer problems

So I have a coralife digital thermometer and it reads my tank is about 77.4 degrees which matches one mercury thermometer I checked it against. My problems is I have two floating mercury thermometers that read my tank is about 83 degrees. Im going to go get a infrared gauge to verify what...
  10. M

cleaning new pvc

I was just woundering how everybody cleans the inside of their pvc plumbing befor setting it up on your tank. its not noticeably dirty but theres no telling what could be in it from sitting in home depot
  11. M

Mounting your GHL weather sticks PICS PLEASE!

Wondering how people have mounted their weather sticks? want to mount mine but zip tying i think would look gash and not sure how other people have done it so all the cabling looks neat and tidy. So if you can post up some pictures i can get some ideas! Thanks
  12. M

Timer for power head

Is it ok to use a powerhead on a timer? One of mine is on permanently and the other more powerful one i have on 15 mins, off for 30. I'm trying to create a more chaotic changing flow. My hammer coral seems to be opening up more so maybe it's working. Is this ok for the powerhead? Thanks
  13. M

Too much flow from powerhead?

I have a maxijet 400 and decided to buy the kit which turns it into a powerhead. I never expect this much flow though. I placed it in my 29 gallon. Anyway, a friend of mine said that I can blow out a seam in my tank. Is this true?
  14. M

upgrade pump 14gallon Biocube

I would like to increase the water flow in my 14 gallon biocube.... but im not sure what Pump will fit.. I think i heard Maxi jet... but what size.. or is there another one that fits..... im sure someone has already done this upgrade. Please let me know... Thanks
  15. M

Shipwreck Reef Tank...

Hi guys, I was talking to my uncle the other day & we came up with a cool idea. I'm just wondering if anyone has done this in the past or has any photos / links relating to it. The plan we came up with was building a model boat / ship from a airfix kit or similar but only using marine safe...
  16. M

Any advantages in having surge protectors?

Are there any advantages/disadvantages in having surge protection extension leads or are they mainly for PCs and electronic equipment use? I have a spare one and am wondering whether it is of any benefit on tank equipment.
  17. M

Best HOB Skimmer for 72 gallon

I need a new skimmer the coralife is at the point its going out the window! Ive tried modifying it and I have tried doing anything I can thing of with it. Its bubbles over the top and doesnt work, Throws thousands of microbubbles into the tank. Price is no longer a factor, its either a new...
  18. M

HELP! Skimmer is not performing as it should

Hey All, I need some advice/help. I went to do some routine cleaning and filling of GFO/Carbon etc and I had noticed my skimmer was not pulling much skimmate. After checking it out, pulling it out into my utility sink and cleaning it. Then letting it run, it is just not producing near enough...
  19. M

Feeding a Malu Anemone

Hi all, I have a Malu anemone which I have been feeding brine shrimp and lance fish. My 2 clowns I believe have been taking food to it too and it's grown considerably in the last 4 months. I would like to ask opinions on feeding it mussels out of the sea, as I have a spot near to me which...
  20. M

Cryptic zones, who's running one?

Hi guys, Just been reading on Reef Eden about Cryptic zones. Does anyone use them or run one? I've got a remote sump in the garage and think it would be quite easy to set one up, but read somewhere on hear its easy for the water to go anaerobic