Search results

1. jkhalliday76

Phosban

Can someone explain how to use Phosban. I've seen it in stores in a round container, but never really read the back of it to see if it had instructions:o Do I just stick it in with the charcoal that goes into the filter? Also, wanted to say that I had my first battle with an aiptasia...
  2. jkhalliday76

Hair Algae

I did a search in here for ways to rid myself of hair algae, but am wondering if there's anything besides buying a protein skimmer or RODI unit(just don't have the fundage right now). I've got a 20 gallon with a royal gramma, scooter blenny, 3 nassarius snails and 2 astraea snails currently...
  3. jkhalliday76

Discovery Cove in Orlando

Has anyone been? I just got back from a week vacation to Disney and we went to Discovery Cove one day. For those of you who don't know what it is, it's a new park (not a Disney park) in Orlando. You have to make reservations to go since they only let 1,000 people in at one time, and it's kind...
  4. jkhalliday76

Is this a tunicate?

I have two of these in my tank. They will retract if I tap on the glass. Any ideas??
  5. jkhalliday76

Just my fish?

This may be a strange question. But both of my fish have a part of the tank that they try to attack. They don't do it at the same time. But periodically I'll look over and my Royal Gramma is freaking out and acting like it's trying to attack it's reflection. Then later in the day I'll find...
  6. jkhalliday76

Finding a dead snail

I am starting to think that I have a dead nassarius snail in my tank. I have three. Two of which I've seen the past couple of days and one that has been MIA for about 3-4 days now. I sifted through the sand that I can get at in the front of my tank, but was not able to uncover the little guy...
  7. jkhalliday76

High Nitrates

I can't seem to keep my nitrates below 20ppm. I have a 20 gallon tank with about 20 pounds of live sand, 30 pounds of live rock, 1 royal gramma and 1 scooter blenny. 3 Nassarius snails and 2 astraeas. I do a 5 gallon water change every week and clean out my filter sponge every few days. Am I...
  8. jkhalliday76

Newby Mistake

Ok I have a confession to make. :bugout: I was at Petco a few weeks ago (probably 3 weeks ago) and I fell in love with a scooter blenny. I know, I know, never buy anything unless you have researched it (my fault) and I should have known better than to believe the sheet of paper that I was...
  9. jkhalliday76

Tiny Black Worms?

I have SEVERAL tiny black worms in my tank right now and have no idea what they are. They are about 1/4 inch long and very skinny. They are mostly on my glass and my sand. Their heads are more rounded with a skinny body. Any ideas what these are? I tried without luck to get a photo of them.
  10. jkhalliday76

Greenery Recommendations????

Hi all! Hope everyone is having a great weekend. I was just looking through all the tank journals and I started to be very envious of all the colors you all have throughout your tanks. I have a very basic setup that's about 5 months old. 20 gallon, no skimmer, power filter only, lights are...
  11. jkhalliday76

Strange Levels

Hello...I have a 20 gal. FOWLR tank. Been up about 5 months. I went on a 2 day vacation for the holiday and bought a weekend feeder for those two days (the kind that looks like a flower and you break a chunk off). Everyone in the tank seems to be doing fine, but I decided to test my water...
  12. jkhalliday76

Filter to Fuge

Someone had mentioned to me that I can turn my power filter into a fuge. Does anyone know how I might go about this? I did a search but didn't come up with anything that was clear. Thanks!
  13. jkhalliday76

Many A Question...grab a beer!

Ok, first I want to thank everyone who has offered advice so far in my trip to saltwater satisfaction! I have asked a billion questions and have gotten many great replies and have seriously considered each and every response. Here's my issue/s....I keep getting mixed information and this...
  14. jkhalliday76

What do I do?

I recently switched out crushed coral for live sand in my 20 gallon tank. I am having issues keeping the sand looking nice. Is it just brown algae? I have to clean my glass every other day. Or is it a bigger problem. I don't have a skimmer (yet), just a power filter. I was told by the LFS...
  15. jkhalliday76

Adding Garlic?

I keep reading about adding garlic to food, or soaking food in garlic before feeding. I was just wondering what this does for the fish. Is this just regular grocery store garlic just minced up and added to food? Why types of food can it be added to (for instance, can I add garlic to my frozen...
  16. jkhalliday76

I'm a little freaked

:bouncebox I know in this hobby it is very important to read up on EVERYTHING. And that is what I did after I discovered a 2.5 some inch bristle worm in my tank (he's got a pinkish-tan front and a black/dark back). Anyway, I know that depending on who you ask, these creatures are either...
  17. jkhalliday76

Feeding Royal Gramma

How often do those of you with these fish feed them? I have some frozen brine and I fed him once the day I put him into my tank (today to be exact) and he ate almost everything :whstlr: I just wondered how often I should feed him. I currently have the gramma, 3 nassauraus snails and 3...
  18. jkhalliday76

Acclimating

I finally got a fish! A royal gramma! But I can't find the link to acclimating it. Anyone know where it is quick?:bugout:
  19. jkhalliday76

Sand Cleaning

Quick question. How do you all clean your sand. I assume I can't vaccum it like I did my crushed coral....but it's looking pretty nasty and I never thought about what to do! Thanks~
  20. jkhalliday76

Growth on Rock ID

I know it's much easier if I can get a picture, but it's just not possible for some reason. I have a few pink growths (and they are definitely pink - not reddish - but bubblegum pink) on two of my rocks. Anyway, they are pretty much circular in shape and no larger than a quarter at this point...