Search results

1. B

Little white bugs eating acro?

My brother is having a real bad case of these white bugs. They seem too dig into the polyps hole and prevent extension and eventually killing the polyps. Anyone ever experience these bugs? I think he is just going to interceptor his tank. But checking here for any knowledge.
  2. B

I don't want a quarantine tank

What can I do with new corals before putting in main tank. I don't want a QT to take care of. Any recommendation on what I can do before putting in main tank. Little paranoid now since my brother just recently got white bugs inhis tank and he doesn't qt or dip. But of course that will change
  3. B

GLO T5 HO Electronic Fluorescent Lighting System question

I currently have 2 96 watts pc bulbs for actinics. I was wondering if http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19811&cmpid=03csegb&ref=3312&subref=AA&CAWELAID=525426348 is any good to replace the pc bulbs with this and i would get 2 of these so i can have 4 t5 bulbs for actinics
  4. B

96 watt pc bulbs ?

what brand is recommended for actinic 96 watt pc bulbs i plan on 460/420 bulbs THanks
  5. B

My 58 gallon oceanic reef tank

got a new tank today. 58 gallon oceanic with 20 gallon sump. The fish in there now is a clown fish, watchmen goby, pj cardinal, banana wrasse,
  6. B

pc vs t5 actinics?

do you think pc bulb actincs will do as good as t5 does on coral colors. just upgrading to a bigger tank and found one that has metal halide with pc actinics THanks
  7. B

question about hob filtration

I seen a 46 gallon bow front aquarium i want, it doesn't have sump plumbing, just a plain tank. I was wondering if i can use HOB filter for a sps reef tank? Is there a HOB filtration setup that has room so i can use phosphate remover in (if there is another way i can use phosphate remover...
  8. B

i dont get this red slime crap

i had metal halide 150watts 14k. and during that time i went to metal halide i had a phosphate spike. but the weird thing is that all the algae died like hair algae and i didnt have any red slime. i've had this phosphate problem under control for a while and still no algae or red slime. Recently...
  9. B

how long can i keep R/O water

I just upgraded to LEDs from MH and of course evaporation isnt as much. i have a 24 gallon nano and i keep R/O water in a 5 gallon bucket which lasted almost 2 weeks with MH. How long can i keep R/O in a bucket before i throw it out. I dont stir or have a power head in it, so its stag water.
  10. B

how long can they survive

my water pump screwed up saturday night and no lfs has a water pump of the size i need. and monday is a holiday and prolly wont get a powerhead till thursday. so about five days hopefully max, i will have to manually do some water flow once in a while since i wont be home all day. Do you guys...
  11. B

how to do sps feed

my brother says that the sps corals like tri-color type have a feed tube or tentacle and the tri color does not feed with its polyps. i havent seen any feed tentacles on my sps. I know they put off a white slime or something but i thought that was for defense or something. Can anyone fill me...
  12. B

What should i use

My calcium is a little under 400 and I have sps and ph is 7.8 so I'm guess alkalinity is low. What should i use to raise calcium and alk. I'm not sure on the magnesium. What ever I can do to get good coral growth. What do u recommend. I have a 24 gal nano.
  13. B

ph question

every time i test my ph at lfs its always like 7.8 i usually test it about 2 to 4 pm. I think everything seems too look good in the tank. i have a few sps in a 24 gal nano. what should i do to raise it up. i prolly dont want to use chemicals cause it just a mask? all the param are fine. not...
  14. B

uv leds?

is UV leds needed to get good color? i havent got my led kit yet which is 12white and 12 royal blue 3watt leds over my 24 gall nano cube. But a LFS said i shouldnt even get sps unless i have some UV leds to get color. i notice that rapidleds dont sell UV leds. Thanks
  15. B

I have a question about Instant Ocean Sea Salt Mix

my LFS uses this Instant Ocean Sea Salt Mix to sell their saltwater. I was wondering is there enough minerals and such to keep healthy sps and others corals. do i need to add something. My other fish store sells fish only saltwater and reef saltwater but i had bad experience with their water so...
  16. B

i plan on getting Leds but...

im going to get 3w leds from aquastyle online (going to take the risk) i have a 24 gallon nano cube. I wanted to get the 24 led dimmable set up. the white is 10000k and royal blue leds. I wanted to get a more bluer color so the corals color pop out more. do you think 12white/12RB would give me...
  17. B

whats this stuff in my saltwater?

i bought saltwater a few days ago and just now changing the water. As i got to the bottom on the jug of water i seen light brown sand looking stuff at the bottom and if i pour it in. It makes the water milky. What is this stuff and is it ok to put in. I was thinking its the additives like...
  18. B

hmm everything dieing

i just got back from vacation for 7 days and all my sps is dieing off. The corals still have some living on it but alot of it is white or light color. i think the softies are alright. What could have gone wrong . When i left the polyps were looking good and extended. Thanks for input
  19. B

Wanting to add actinics but how

I have a 150w jbj viper k2 over my jbj 24 gallon cube. I am wanting to add actinics but the only way I can think to do is buy panorama stunner and make a brace for it and hang above the water so it will not get in the way of the MH. Any thoughts on a different way I can do this. Easier the...
  20. B

Six line wrasse question

I am wanting to get six line wrasse because I have a flatworm problem. Well I have a harlequin shrimp now. I was wondering, will a six line wrasse eat harlequin shrimp?