Search results

1. D

wanting a little movement in my nano

Hi all, I am wanting a little more "movement" in my nano, preferably something colorful. Currently in this 10 gallon I have a large chunk of green star polyp, that is really pretty, but I am a little leary of it because of its rate of growth. Also there is a small nugget of montipora, 1 lg...
  2. D

Starting a Sump/Refugium

I have a question about starting a sump/refugium. I have an existing 10 gallon, with an existing hang on aquaclear 110 working as mech filter and small refugium. I want to drill a new 10 gallon, add an overflow from glass holes.com, and move the contents from this aquarium to the drilled tank...
  3. D

Lighting for 40 gallon breeder

Hi all, I am pondering the idea of a 40 gallon breeder, and have been researching lighting. Primarily, I believe it will be sps tank and I am looking at 36in Metal Halide HQI System Advance Plus for my lighting. On my 10 gallon nano I have a 72w (2x12000K, 18W) and (2xActinincs, 18W), and so...
  4. D

nusance caulerpa

Hi all, I have a question about grape caulerpa. I currently have a 10g nano with an aqua clear 110 doing double duty as diy mechanical filtration and refugium. I have about 2 lbs of lr in the refugium and cheato, the cheato is coming on like gang busters. My sg is 1.026, ph 8.4, nitrites...
  5. D

coral frag

Hi all, I have a piece of coral about 1/2 inch long and about 3/8 in diameter that is laying in the sand bed. It looks like it has a couple of very small polyps (maybe 1 to 2 mm) on it. I believe it is from a piece off of a zoanthid colony I got a couple of weeks back. One of the girls at the...
  6. D

ID Anyone?

I have, what I believe I identified as Leptastrea coral growing on one of my rocks. Along beside it were some "green spheres". In the process of id'ing this leptastrea, I ran across a photo that has these same green spheres beside it. The link to the photo is...
  7. D

Photos

I would sure like to see a sticky on getting good photos in the aquarium! I think I get maybe one out of a hundred and then I dont have a clue what I did to get a good shot!
  8. D

Decorator Crab

Hi all, I have identified what I am pretty certain to be a decorator crab, and he is steadily growing. My invert books say get rid of this destructive little critter, (which is fine by me, he looks like a spider). The only problem is, the books dont tell me how to get rid of him. He lives in...
  9. D

sump pump questions

Ok, I am wanting the benefits of a turf scrubber, system voume, and refugium. I want a a sump on my little 10 gallon. I am going to pick up another 10 gallon and drill 2 overflows and a return in it. I am totally unsure of how this works, but what I have researched so far, I think I need about...
  10. D

water changes

Well it seems to be the consensus that a protien skimmer for a 10 g nano is not worth the effort. Everyone I have talked to says to do any where from 10% to 50% weekly water change. Fifty percent seems rather excessive to me, but I still have rudimentary knowledge of this hobby. So, I was...
  11. D

Seawater waterchange containers

Is Brute the only container out there that will not leach chemicals into your seawater? I am looking for something about 25 to 30 gallons, but the only brute I can find is like 50 or 60 gallons. Would like to find something a little smaller that I can keep in the utility room, not the garage...
  12. D

crab, spider or what?

This guy is very reclusive and thus far has been impossible to photograph, he hitchhiked in on a mushroom coral I got the other day. He almost looks like a cross between a starfish, crab and spider. With outstretched legs he is almost the diameter of a nickel, and appears to have pincers...
  13. D

Shrimp vs. Shrimp?

OK, yesterday I had 3 small aiptasias that were wearing thin on my nerves. One was in the middle of my zoanthid colony, stinging the adjacent zo polyps I am sure. So, I went to the lfs and got 3 peppermint shrimp, that immediately terminated the offinding aps. This morning when I got up and...
  14. D

Skimmer Recommendations

Hi all, I have a 10 gallon that has been running for 3 weeks now and I want a hang on the back skimmer for it, I am currently leaning towards an Octopus oct BH1000, but I am totally unsure of what to get. All opinions much appreciated!
  15. D

aiptasia x

Hi all, I have either a manjano or aiptasia anemone growing in the middle of my zoanthid colony, can I turn all water movement off and dose with aiptasia x, or will it zap zo polyps in the vicinity? Any other ideas? Thanks all.
  16. D

Aquarium stands

Hi all, I am looking at craigslist and noticing some used 55 gallons. My idea is to pick one of these up and a 29 for the sump/refugium. I can plumb the tank and sump myself. My problem is I really dont have the tools (table saw etc:) to build a "display" stand. So, my question is, does anyone...
  17. D

plant???I am assuming

I am still very new to salt and I have a question...that I hope is not to silly. I have growing out of some of my rock what appears to be plant life. It appears to be about 3/16" diameter, green, straight cylindrical, and branching. Some of these "branches" have 3 to 5 green spheres on them...
  18. D

New 10 gallon

I just set up a 10 gallon a couple of weeks ago, and I LOVE it! It is my first saltH2o aquarium. I will go bigger for sure but wanted this one to garner some exp. and also use it as a quarantine. For filtration I am using a penguin 150 and I let the LFS talk me into a biocube skimmer which is...
  19. D

Pictures

Is there a "sticky" somewhere on how to post pics?
  20. D

drilling aquariums

Hi all, I have really been in quandry as of late. I thought I wanted a jbj28 Led, but the more I have studied, I think I can go bigger with not much more $$ in the set-up (of course not counting the livestock). I have found a 75 gallon tank and stand that has been used for fw discus for...