Search results

1. R

how to get rid of green hair algae?

This post is a little old, but I know that Green Hair Algae is a pretty common problem. I found this Green Hair Algae guide that will probably help a lot of people with their problems.
  2. R

Help with Red Sea Berlin Turbo Skimmer

Definately make sure the airflow is clean and open. No salt creep. If you're looking for more information about the Red Sea Berlin visit that link
  3. R

Skimmer

ASM G3, EuroReef, www.reefmania.net PS8, MyReef Creations MR1 I personally have used the ER ES5 discontinued, MR1, and RM PS8 and the PS8 is by far the best. ASM is pretty much like ER, but it has a bigger footprint.
  4. R

Refuge

A refugium is generally used for two things: 1. To grow macro algae for filtration 2. To provide a "safe" habitat for pods and other microlife to grow It can be made in a number of ways, but most are made from acrylic. It typically has a layer of livesand at the bottom, macroalgaes like...
  5. R

Is there anything for this?

I would make a durso standpipe out of the drain and then get a strainer. They can be purchased at www.marinedepot.com
  6. R

Ro Di?

www.thefilterguys.biz
  7. R

Lighting/Skimmer Question

That would be typical when you add the dechlor, don't really worry about that. What brand of skimmer do you have? I would second what the others have said about lighting, if you plan to keep corals that need it. Make the upgrade now instead of doing 2 upgrades.
  8. R

Proposed 20 Gallon Tank - Equipment & Livestock List

The snails muching on the live rock probably won't eat any of the organisms. Most of the stuff you want is bacteria and microanimals called pods. Generally I opt for about 1.5-2 snails per gallon, but there is no super rule. Each of the snails does a different thing so they are not in direct...
  9. R

Well snails really don't eat the rock, they eat the stuff on the rock, like algae. Oxygen won't be a problem, the skimmer and powerheads should provide enough for everything that you have. I would recommend placing at least one powerhead near the surface of the aquarium so you get some surface...
  10. R

Overflow box

I would not do a HOB overflow, I would recommend contacting Bob at www.reefmania.net He built my current aquariums.
  11. R

How often should one need to scrape algae?

I would recommend getting an ro/di unit. That should really cut back on the nutrients. I find that I need to clean my glass 2 times a week. It also depends on your nutrient/bio load. www.airwaterice.com Typhoon III model, I use it, they have excellent customer service www.thefilterguys.biz...
  12. R

Lets try this as a possible setup: 20 Gallon AGA Aquarium - Paint the back with gloss black paint Skip the top, run it open for better gas exchange Upgrade to 2x55w PC lights, they will cost you the same amount as the one you proposed Aquaclear 300 PowerFilter by Hagen - Much better than...
  13. R

Leptastrea care? crust coral

Medium Flow and Med/Low light is generally good for them. They don't require feeding, but it never hurts. For your tank I would put it near the bottom because of your halides. Even better in a shaded region underneath some live rock.
  14. R

Leathers, Softies, and SPS?

Yes, this has been done by a number of people, although the SPS usually have less color. I would recommend running activated carbon. Then set up your water flow pattern so that the sps get hit first so the chemicals from the softies are being blown directly onto the sps.
  15. R

Adding Ozone to a Reef?

^Bump^ is just raising the thread to the top of the list, so more people see it. Usually people do it, if they don't get a reply for a while. Personally I do not use ozone, but I have considered it. Right now, I wouldn't use it on my needle wheel skimmer because Euro-Reef says that o3 will...
  16. R

best timer?

I'd recommend a controller, I use a digital aquatics reefkeeper and it's been excellent!
  17. R

Happy Birthday NaH20!

Happy bday!!
  18. R

Lighting Question for 29 Gal

Really it depends what you want to keep, but I would consider looking into a t5/vho mix setup. I run 2 Gieseman 11k bulbs and 2 URI Super actinics and the color is great. Also look for URI now UV's new actinic t5 bulb which is supose to be much better than those already on the market.
  19. R

RO/DI Filter

I would recommend www.airwaterice.com and the Typhoon III model, they have excellent customer service. My friends at www.thefilterguys.biz also have excellent service and prices.
  20. R

UV stabilizers

Aqua is a good brand, I've also heard excellent things about Emperor