Search results

1. redneckgearhead

I may be back......

Hey everyone, it's been a few years and a few life changes since I've been on here and had a tank. But that may be changing. I broke down my 90 gallon reef a few years ago when my start up business got to busy for me to maintain it and work two full time jobs. Well life happens and the...
  2. redneckgearhead

Brain Id please

Picked this brain up,[/IMG] the lady at the LFS said she thinks it is a wellso. Is she correct?
  3. redneckgearhead

What really matters....

I had an eye opening experience this morning and i want to share. My boss and i have been bickering back and forth for a couple of weeks now (I'd have been fired had it not been for the union protection). He has done everything in his power to make my job tougher and miserable. I was...
  4. redneckgearhead

T5 bulb recommendations please

Im on the verge of ordering an ati 6 bulb fixture. Can I get some bulb recommendations please, since the fixture doesn't come with bulbs. My current 4 bulb light has an ati purple plus, an ati aqua blue 12,000, and two ati blue plus bulbs in it now. Tia
  5. redneckgearhead

Recommended things to do in the Florida Keys

My wife and I are planning a trip to the keys, we were planning one for Pensacola FL but decided (now that she is going back to work) we can afford to go to the keys. I want to go all out on this trip as it will be our honeymoon. We plan on flying into Miami, renting a Harley and riding down...
  6. redneckgearhead

vacay to Pensacola Fl...tips? hints? recommendations?

OK the wife and I are finally taking a honey moon. We are leaning towards Pensacola FL, anybody been there? Looking for recommendations as to what to do and what to avoid. I've been looking at a 2 hour trip on a sail boat and maybe scuba diving on the carrier they sunk. Anybody have any...
  7. redneckgearhead

Reef Cleaner snails love the wind in their shells!!!

Some how our postman showed up in the 5 minutes between when my wife left and I got home (he's never that early must of been a new guy) so I had to run up to the post office and pick them up. (less than a 10 min ride) I rode my bike up there strapped them to the "luggage" rack on the back and...
  8. redneckgearhead

Snail mail!!!!

My wife just called and said that we got the order in and everything looks great! But I have to mention that when I told her that the snails were coming in by USPS she looked at me and seriously asked if the snails were coming by "snail mail" I busted out laughing and said "Yea, last time they...
  9. redneckgearhead

A new doublewide!

Just thought I would share my qt tank build...I had 2 10 gallon tanks lieing around (who doesn't) and I found this large bulkhead at work and I got the idea of joining the two tanks. I had to cut a 4 1/2" hole in the tanks and then cut the trim so that the tanks set glass to glass and sealed it...
  10. redneckgearhead

UGH the "Mark forums read" needs to go!

Why do I need to mark forums read?????? It is in a horrible spot and on more than one occasion I have clicked it thinking I was under the "Forum" tab and was wanting to click the "quick links" button. I know I could slow my roll and read before clicking but then what would I have to gripe...
  11. redneckgearhead

A few LED questions.

I am in the midst of upgrading from a 48" long 75 gallon tank to a 60" 90 gallon tank and while my 48" t5 fixture might work short term, long term I want to go LED's and the budget says that I will most likely have to go with DIY. My question is how many do I need is there a general rule about...
  12. redneckgearhead

garden eel

Does anyone have any experience with garden eels? live aquaria says expert only but why? What makes them expert only? Can a mod fix my title to say garden eel. thanks
  13. redneckgearhead

75-90 gallon upgrade.

Hey everyone, thought I might start a thread showing my progress during my upgrade. I picked up an older tank on CL resealed it removed the hidious glass center brace added more braces in the form of euro bracing, drilled it for returns and built and mounted an external overflow that will...
  14. redneckgearhead

Basic do's and don'ts for keeping a mantis?

Ok everyone, what are some basic rules for setting up a mantis tank? Minimum tank size? tankmates? corals? sandbed? recommended species? any species that shouldn't be housed? and other tips and advice and maybe we can get this stickied if we get enough good info.
  15. redneckgearhead

Tang scared to death?? Literally!

Ok everyone I have had a gold rim tang in QT for a few weeks now. He was doing really well and was starting to not be so timid, eating anything I have put in the tank, no signs of sickness but I treated the tank with cuppermine just in case. Today when I got home from work I was going to feed...
  16. redneckgearhead

Trojan man!!!! lol virus from RS?

Last night on my home laptop, my virus protection would flip out every time I changed pages here on RS. Kept saying something about a trojan virus was blocked. Whats up?
  17. redneckgearhead

Awe the memories.....anyone else have a memorable Christmas?

This year had a few moments I wont soon forget. The look on the faces of my Mother-in-law and Sister-in-law after my 9 month old son opened his pocket knife was absolutely priceless! (no my son does not get the knife, we bought it as a gag for my in-laws) And I learned that my 3 YO nephew will...
  18. redneckgearhead

Harlequin shrimp forcing the asterina stars into the open?

I was having a problem with asterina stars eating my coral and after them reproducing faster than I can pick them out, I decided it was a perfect excuse to get a harlequin shrimp. I picked one up three days ago. He immediately found a perfect spot to hang out. I small cavern right in front so...
  19. redneckgearhead

inner spot/cave goby?

I have a 55 hex that has a mated pair maroons and a purple fire fish. I seen an awesome looking inner spot/cave goby at my LFS I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this fish? The tank has a shallow sand bed and it looks like these fish like to burrow. I was thinking I could add...
  20. redneckgearhead

Plastic tote for a QT?

Hey, does anyone see a problem with using a plastic tote for a QT tank? I have a small 10 gallon tank that I have used for smaller fish but for fish that will need more swimming room during QT I was thinking the cheapest and easiest would be to use a tote. The only disadvantage I can see is...