Search results

1. K

Advice on acrylic crack

Hey Everyone, So, the other day after I came home from the fish store, I opened the canopy and discovered this crack in the front of the Eurobracing on the top. I was thinking I could get some Weld-on 16, cut a piece of acrylic to go over the top and just glue it over for support. Thoughts...
  2. K

Any ideas on an RO/DI issue?

So, I have a 50 GPD RO/DI unit that is just the inline type, not canister (uses refrigerator type inline cartridges). I ordered a new sediment, carbon and RO filter off of ebay the other day (separately) and installed. However, my flow into my RO/DI storage container was then very slow and the...
  3. K

Small disaster this morning

So, this morning I got up to find my Rio return pump and given out on me. Several corals including a huge montipora were exposed to air for idk how long as the tank drained down to the anti-siphon whole drilled in the return. I began to frantically figure out how i could get my crappy/noisey...
  4. K

WTB Vortech Pump and controller

Hey everyone, I am looking for a Vortech MP40 or possibly MP10. Depending on price I would be interested in any of the models. Thanks!
  5. K

Need your opinion on Vortech vs Koralia and acrylic

Hey everyone. I have been researching and tossing both of these ideas around in my head for a couple weeks now and cannot come to a conclusion that I feel safe with. I am considering either getting a Vortech MP10 or 40 for my 55 gallon (thinking tank upgrade in future) or a couple Koralia Evo...
  6. K

Finally took the plunge into controllers!

Hey everyone!! I have been wanting a controller for a long time but was never willing to take the plunge. However, after a TON of research I have finally taken the plung and went with....wait for it.....The Reef Angel! After researching all the controllers, I really didnt see too many...
  7. K

Some may find this interesting

Hey everyone, I'm not sure if this was posted anywhere else, but I just came across this. Shows some interesting data around ocean salinity, evap, etc. NASA - Aquarius Yields NASA's First Global Map of Ocean Salinity
  8. K

Article: Experimental Comparison of Measured Flow Output of Aquarium Propeller Pumps

Here is an article I found rather interesting. In this study, they standardized a way of measuring output from many different manufacturers pumps and measure their actual flow rate versus advertised flow rate and also power consumption. About midway through is a nice graph. Feature Article...
  9. K

Ballasts and Reflectors

I have two ballasts and reflectors from A H Systems that were running 4 55w power compacts. I am accepting all reasonable offers!
  10. K

150 Watt VIPER Deluxe HQI MH light

I have a 150 watt Viper Deluxe (with built in fan) HQI Metal Halide clamp on the back style light for sale. This light is less than a year old with a 14k Phoenix bulb. PM me if you are interested!
  11. K

My new 55 gallon build

Well, after my 45 gallon sprung a leak I have started a 55 gallon acrylic that I got for a great deal off of Craigslist. I got a 55 gallon acrylic with stand and canopy that houses PC bulbs. I then found another person selling a 30 gallon oceanic sump, ATO and 2 x 250 watt MH retro kit. I have...
  12. K

Tank Busted a Seam Friday Night

Well, Friday Night my 45 gallon Hex busted a seam and started shooting water 4 feet into my living room. :cry1: It was quite a horrifying site. Luckily I had a few people there to help, had one person hold in on the sides to slow the leak while I siphoned water, pulled out live rock into rubber...
  13. K

Do you think I need more or Less light?

Hey guys, I have been researching and debating this issue for awhile. I have a 45 gallon hex tank, which is about 23 inches from light to sand bed, I have since moved this to about 28 inches for experimentation purposes. I am running a K2-viper 150 HQI MH with 16k phoenix bulb. I haven't notice...
  14. K

Viper K2 HQI Problems

Hello everyone! Last night I came home and adjusted the fan on my Viper K2 HQI MH light on my aquarium as I often do, sometimes more on the water, other times on the lamp. It started making a noise and later I noticed that it was barely blowing any air and getting hot/seeming like it was binding...
  15. K

Any idea what these are?

Hey! I got my brother into SW about 8 months ago. He had purchased a coral with one of these attached as well. Since then it has split into about 6 total. It appears to be some sort of soft polyp or anemone. Any ideas would be great!
  16. K

Hello!

Hey everyone! I just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. I have been into saltwater for about 2 1/2 years now, I currently have a ~40 gal hex with HOB skimmer, gold stripe maroon clown, xenia, ricordia, hermits and astrea, with a 150w MH K-2 Viper Deluxe and LR. I have been recently...