Search results

1. GeoSciGuy

Growth Rate & Propagation of Zoa's/Palys

I've read many things about Zoa's and Paly's, including that they have a rapid growth rate and small colonies will quickly spread to cover available space on their current rock and onto neighboring rocks. My question is, how fast is 'fast?' Weeks? Months? I am sure that it varies, so what...
  2. GeoSciGuy

Let's hear from folks who have experience with Sally Lightfoots...

I've read conflicting versions of whether the Sallys are reef-safe at various websites, books, web-boards (including this forum) - even fish stores seem to disagree. Since research is not clearing the issue up, I want to know what your experiences with the crabs are. No speculation, no "I've...
  3. GeoSciGuy

Are high Phosphates normal in a new tank?

Okay, I couldn't find a specific answer using the search function. I apologize if this is base knowledge. -So- I understand that high phosphate levels are bad for coral. I understand that there are several methods to remove phosphates. My question is whether high levels of phosphates are a...
  4. GeoSciGuy

Anemone hitchhiker - pest?

Short story: Rookie. 60g tank, 5 weeks of cycling with about 70lbs of live rock and plenty of live sand. Good chemistry. No livestock. All by the book, so far. Last weekend I brought home two new pieces of cured live rock from the LFS to top-off my arrangement. A few hours after the rocks had...
  5. GeoSciGuy

Hello!

I'm new to the hobby, and I'm glad to find a spot to talk reefs and get advice. So Hello! My tank is 60g, currently filled with only LR & a few hitchhikers. I've waited 5 weeks for the cycling process to complete, so I'll be in the market for various corals and inverts & I welcome any...