Search results

1. J

water pressure question

Hi all, Physics question, as it’s far from my strong point: the top brace of my 60-gallon (48”x12”x 24”) aquarium snapped off. I currently have it held at that point with a ratchet clamp, which is holding it together nicely. My LFS guy is coming in about 5 days to install a new setup and swap...
  2. J

HELP! what is growing on my cardinal?

hi all, i have a bangaii that is about 4-5 years old (would have to find his receipt to say for sure), and he'd been seemingly fine until today, when he presented with some fleshy tumor-like things. one protruded from his head like a horn (which fell off when i moved him to quarantine), and he...
  3. J

i am dumbfounded.

I know the issue of nitrate is not a new topic. I’ve been reading tons of previous posts and articles, but I’m still baffled with my situation: a few months back, I had a huge hair algae bloom. I suspected it was the fault of my evil Melanarus Wrasse, since he ate all my snails and crabs...
  4. J

one salt better than another for RO?

howdy! i had been buying pre-mixed saltwater at my local pet store, which was fine for water changes in my 29 gallon, but will pbly be too pricey for me 65. i always have RO on hand, so figured in some cases i'll mix my own. Here's the question: in my reef, no matter what i've tried, i can't...
  5. J

converting fresh to salt-should i ditch these filters?

Howdy! since my 29-gal reef is doing so well (corals growing out of control), and i got tired of my live-plant fresh after 30 years, i broke down that 65-gallon and want to go FOLR (with maybe some of my kenya trees tossed in as they outgrow my reef). i have been searching all the forums and...
  6. J

help! snowflake coral closed

I have had this fantastic lime green snowflake polyp for around 6 months or so. He’s been happy, though smaller than when he started, which I attributed to constantly being brushed by shrimp and crabs. On Sunday, I did a tank clean, and stirred up a lot of gravel, trying to get rid of some red...
  7. J

is this bryopsis? and should i control?

Me Again! This guy came on a piece of Fiji LR I got around 5 months ago, and has been pretty quiet. In the last 2 weeks, he's taken off. Is this Bryopsis? I know it can get out of control, should I remove it completely? (though I like the look of it and would hate to do so). Or can it be...
  8. J

is this algae or coral and can it be saved?

so i bought a zoo rock because i loved this purple fringy stuff on it. it was gorgeous and looked great! now it's getting brown and I'm sad =( I tried various macro i.d. sites, and can't get an exact i.d. the closest thing seems to be amphiroa fragilissma or actinotrichia fragilis? i had also...
  9. J

can't i.d. this, is it a coral?

can't post pic, don't know how to delete this post, sorry. will try again later
  10. J

can't seem to i.d. this thing, any ideas?

Hey all, I've had this plant (?) for a while, came on a piece of rock. He's been pretty quiet, slowly piling on himself, but now has started spreading, showing up on my halimeda, filter intake, other rocks, etc. I've looked at every algae i.d. site, and as soon as I think I see it and look for...
  11. J

should i give up on this fish?

Okay, I read all the stickies on Ick. My question isn't so much about treatment as whether or not I should give up. I have a royal gramma whose ick presented about 2 weeks after I got him. I don't have a QT. I've been treating with metranidazole, focus, and garlic. as normal, the spots come and...
  12. J

vermetid snails or something else?

Are these vermetid snails? And if so, what are your thoughts on keeping or getting rid of them? I only noticed them just now, and did so because my tree coral wasn't opening. I have another tree coral that is fine, so don't think it's a water quality issue. I've read their feeding webs can...
  13. J

is this algae or something worse?

Hi Guys and Gals, My 29-gal nano is only about 6 months old, so some things are just appearing. I have a huge batch of Halimeda (which came on the rock with my beautiful blue xenia and eventually obliterated it, but since it's hard to buy macroalgae in the store, I figure it's ok), and recently...