Search results

1. B

Can you run a reef tank with a canister filter

I would think if you are just starting the tank, that would be a part of the cycle?
  2. B

Unknown Anemone and possibly a gorgonian?

The live rock is from Florida, yes - deco rock from the gulf. The gorgonian and anemone are not doing so well right now, as it is in the process of cycling and nitrite (10) and nitrate (80) are very high. The gorgonian is falling apart little by little - the yellow encrusted "flower"...
  3. B

Free Mantis Shrimp

I would love to set up a tank for one, but it is not in the cards right now. Besides, I am sure there is more than 1 in this tank, so perhaps later on... :) 1Reefer, I have sent you a message.
  4. B

Free Mantis Shrimp

This cute little stomatopod came along for the ride in my FL gulf live rock. It is approximately 3 centimetres long and green in colour. I have it in a little fish separator box with a piece of live rock and some sand. I am in the Jacksonville / Orange Park FL area and would happily...
  5. B

Unknown Anemone and possibly a gorgonian?

These came along with the 50lb of LR, which I am very happy with but am having a hard time aquascaping. It becomes VERY hard to see if I move them even a little bit! The only thing I wish I would have done differently was gotten a mixture of different kinds, as most of these seem to be great for...
  6. B

Invertebrate death on new tank

Oh :( I honestly have been reading, reading and doing more reading since November and it seems like there's a different opinion on everything, in addition to the product reviews from all over, what the products' packaging says and then there is the LFS, too. If I'd have known that it was a...
  7. B

will braeburn's tank clear up?

Hey guys! Love the poll :) My neighbors tank has cleared up quite a bit during this past week. It is around 90% clear, more or less. Also.... My Solana has been up and running since Thursday and I only used live sand. Talk about CLOUDY! There's a white "film" on the return powerheads and the...
  8. B

We used play sand to help "fill in" the sandbed, with the thought that the live sand & rock would seed the rest of the non-live sand. The crushed coral was for looks and I thought I read that it helped supply nutrients to the water. The water is clearing a little bit each day, and we found a...
  9. B

We used 20 lbs of Carib Sea arag alive Fiji Pink live sand, 10 lbs of rinsed Florida crushed coral, and 20 lb of well rinsed play sand. This weekend we will be building an algae scrubber and getting a Remora protein skimmer. Also..... :D I bought a 34 gal Solana tank while in the process...
  10. B

The reason I thought they were telling the truth was because they had a 4 day old 29gal Biocube up that had crystal clear water in it, complete with a dsb and liverock with a couple corals attached (which I understand that you should wait MANY weeks first so the cycle can complete, so I thought...
  11. B

Thank you very, very much... this is good news, as my dear neighbor was very upset when she found out that the water was supposedly "burned" and that is why it was not completely clearing up. Not a good first impression on my part when you are trying to convince someone to go saltwater for...
  12. B

You really think so? I was hoping that would be the case, as it was a lot of salt and sand! :(
  13. B

We went to the LFS where we got the rock and they told us that we "burned" the water. I was not aware that this was possible; the directions state to vigorously mix the salt with the water. I guess we were supposed to fill the bucket(s) with the water first, THEN add the salt. I suppose I...
  14. B

Yes it does help, of course :) When trying to find out what could have happened, we did stumble on the proper way to acclimate things. Since it was just two pieces of live rock, I figured we did not have to do this. Is this something we will have to do with every piece of live rock?
  15. B

Thank you for your reply! I just wanted to make sure that it was not too soon to introduce live rock to the tank if everything on it is going to croak! We used tap water dechlorinated with prime and tap water conditioner that was run through a brand spanking new brita filter, which took...
  16. B

I convinced my neighbor to start a saltwater setup, as they have always wanted one and I am still working on getting mine together :D After adding the water and waiting a day the salinity reads 1.025 from a refractometer. According to the 5-in-1 test strip, the water is "ideal range" and...
  17. B

Dawn / Dusk Step Down for Sunpod

I suppose whenever my tank arrives I can see if the LED's would be sufficient... perhaps when it's time to lower the lighting do white and blue then decrease to just the blue - and vice versa for morning-time. I do love that deep electric purple-blue though.
  18. B

Thank you! :) I would guess that this isn't something that can be added to the fixture itself; rather, I would need to have some other type of lighting fixture on top of the tank as well? That could be difficult... :snshne:
  19. B

Hello again everyone! I have a 250W Sunpod and I am totally lost on how I can achieve the dawn/dusk step up/down with this light fixture. There are lunar LED's for night time (white and blue); but what about in between? I don't want to instantly turn the light "ON" in the morning without...
  20. B

FS: Current USA Sunpod 24" 250w

Looks like it might be worth it to use Fedex or UPS from now on! I called the USPS and they admitted that they no longer scan packages while they are enroute. "Tracking" essentially has been reduced to just delivery confirmation.