Search results

1. G

Lighting Question 4 FOWLR Tank

I have a 125g tank with three Hamilton MH lights over it. The tank we will be getting, more later than sooner :mad: will be a 96x30x24. I have been advised that since I am wanting to keep the operating cost down as much as possible, the MH lights are way over kill for a fish only tank. So with...
  2. G

Sump Design Question

I am working my way towards a large FOWLR tank, and right now I am designing my sump for the tank. I am wanting a large sump and I am contemplating putting a refugium in the design. Just wondering if this is a good idea or not. The reason I am asking is because of the new reactors with nitrate...
  3. G

Worth Buying ??

Christmas Tree Worm Rock coral. I have seen these in my LFS, but never have seen them with their polyps out, or what ever you call them. I have also never seen them in anyones tanks that I see on line. My LFS says they are really nice, figured I would get a second opinion before I buy one, don't...
  4. G

Lighting & Chiller Question

Need a tank lighting recommendation for my next tank upgrade. My new tank will be a soft coral tank with a canopy. Heavy with zoas and Rics, a few toadstools and all of the other cast of the other soft corals that I can get for the tank. I plan on getting a chiller for this tank also, if it is...
  5. G

At a Cross Roads

I want an SPS Tank, my wife wants a soft coral tank heavy on zoa colonies with all of the other assorted soft corals. My LFS says that to do both types of corals in one tank wouldn't do the corals justice and that they would both suffer in the same tank. The wall where the tank will set, will...
  6. G

Need Soft Coral Advice

I have a 72x18x21 tank that I was going to sell and up grade to a larger tank for SPS corals only. I have decided to keep the the tank and make it a soft coral tank and then buy another tank for the SPS corals. So my question is, what do I need to do to my current tank to be able to get my zoas...
  7. G

??? Ive been Wanting to Ask

Chalices and Echinophyllia, are they the same thing are two differant types of corals. They look the same to me but why the two differant names if they are the same?
  8. G

LED Question

Our LFS here just set up a state of the art frag tank in the store and one of our local guys built him an LED light for the 170g tank. My current tank has MH lights over it and I was palnning on using them for my new 190g tank that hasn't been ordered yet, still buying all of the equipmet for...
  9. G

A product Question

I went and saw my really first mixed reef tank this past week end, not a pic on a forum, a tank that I could stand in front of, not a tank like mine with a few corals here and a few over there, I mean a tank loaded with corals, a big tank, and I must say, it was an impressive tank to see. Now to...
  10. G

Kalk Reactor Question

I am going to order a two part dosing pump for the tank. Do I still need to order a Kalk reactor for the tank. We are going to attempt to grow a few SPS corals in the tank.
  11. G

Chaeto Question

I just got my 10g refugium set up and have a question. Do I need to run the lights in the refugium 24 -7 or can I just run the lights just at nite when the DT lights are off, and help keep the temp. down during the day? I don't want to hurt the chaeto and to get it to start growing.
  12. G

VorTech MP 40 Question

I am designing the new stand for my want to be new tank. What I want is to have the tank stand to have a cabnet on the left side of the tank, and I want the cabnet to be just about the same height as the tank is. My question is, I need to have a gap between the cabnet and the tank so that I can...
  13. G

Controller Question

I am wanting to get a controller for my tank and I went to the Premium Aquatics web site to check some out. For a little back ground, I have a 125g, want to be reef tank and would like to up grade this to a 190g to 200g tank at a later date, this time next year I hope lol. I got to looking at...
  14. G

Input on my sump

This is my new sump design, anyone see any problems with it? The first section to the left is the skimmer section, I need 8 to 10 inches of water in that chamber. The middle chamber is the return section and the right side is the refugium section. I am going to have someone build it for me out...
  15. G

Help Understanding how this works

I am having to top off my sump twice a day and I want to set up a 10 to 15 gallon top off water system on my tank. I want to run the water thru a Kalkwasser reactor. This is how I think it works, tell me if I am wrong. The Kalk reactor is on a timer and stirs the media for what ever time you...
  16. G

Sump filter question

When I bought my tank from the LFS, It came with a filter that I think I am better off not using because of my nitrate levels. My DT drains into my sump then the water comes up under the baffle thru a spounge type filter and then into my skimmer area. Do I need to use the sponge filter?
  17. G

Kalkwasser Question

I am was doing some reasearch into buying a Kalk reactor and was prepaired to buy a GEO reactor when I went to Bulk Reef Supply and found this one: Aquamedic Kalkwasser Stirrer / Reactor 5000 - English. Prices for the GEO are about say $150.00 cheaper. My question is this: the Kalk reactor...
  18. G

Need some help

If no ones wants to mess with this I will understand. I need some help with my new acrylic sump design. I have found someone to build it for me, they just need me to send them some plans. I don't want you to draw the plans for me, lol, I just want help with highth, baffle placement and any other...
  19. G

Mandarin Goby Question

I have a 125g tank with alittle over 200lbs of LR in the tank. When my MH lights go off in the evening and the T5s come on, these little white things start climbing onto the glass of the tank, they are also on my LR, there are a bunch of them. My question is: are these Copepods and if they are...
  20. G

Who to buy from ??

I am going to attempt to build an acrylic sump for my tank ( an upgrade), is there a company on line where I could buy the acrylic from? I am looking for 3/8 inch acrylic.