Search results

1. A

PH Levels

My tank PH parameters are range from 7.92 in the morning to 7.98 in the evening. I am wondering if these parameters are acceptable?
  2. A

Hospital Tank Set Up Question

My fish have ich, well the tangs do anyway but I plan to quarantine all fish as per the instructions on the great threads posted...dont worry I have read them all. However i have a clarification question. I did not seed a sponge for the filter for the biological filtering to happen so I am...
  3. A

Live rock turning white

It appears that my live rock is turning white, like the coraline algae is dying off. I am not sure what could be causing this, my water parameters are below..the only thing I can tell is that maybe my ALK is low? I do have a red algae breakout on my sand and rock. My Algae Turf Scrubber is new...
  4. A

Live Rock turning white

I am noticing my live rock is turning white lately. Any reason why this would be. My calcium seems fine and on the higher end. I do have an algea issue, quite a bit of red algae film covering rocks and sand. I have just started a turf scrubber so I am assuming my tank is transitioning hence the...
  5. A

Reef Safe Paint?

I want to paint some of the sides of my sump to keep out light from the ATS, some portions will be in the saltwater. Is there a specific paint type that would be recommended as reef safe for acrylic/lexxan and wont chip or fade away?
  6. A

Recommended Flow Investments

I am contemplating various flow solutions but cant decide what to go with; 1) Digital Aquatics controller with two Hydor Koralia Evo powerheads - cheapest solution since this will monitor PH and temperature, lights, ATO, etc. 2) Vortech MP20 - says good enough for up to 70 gallons, like...
  7. A

Salt Mix - Instant Ocean Reef Crystals

What is the general opinion on Instant Ocean Reef Crystals, good product or not? Experience with Algae growth?
  8. A

Anemones in powerhead

I came home from work and my anemones in the little grooves of the Hydor 3 powerhead. Half of him is out, the other half is still in there. A few of his arms were severed but most of him was spared from the propeller. I can't tell if he is alive or dead. I have read some threads where the same...
  9. A

Green star Polyps on Glass

Is there a simple or easy way or tactic to get a Green Star Polyp colony to attach to glass? Right now my newely purchased colony is in a ball placed close to the glass but also rock. I have read cutting and spreading it out like a sheet and glue it to the glass. Wondering if there is an easier...
  10. A

copepods.

How can I tell if I have enough copepods for my Mandarin? I look for them with a flash light at night but cant really tell. I dont have a refugium to generate them but running a turf scrubber system that has only been running for a week now. I have some algae growth in the tank, mostly hair...
  11. A

Quarantine Tank Question

When setting up a Quarantine tank, can you just run a filter and use the water from the main tank and just top off for 4 - 6 weeks to establish the tank? Do you need to do water changes if there are no fish in the tank, no feedings, etc. Just some filter floss from the main tank and water change...
  12. A

Unknown creature???

Can anyone identify this? It was attached to my live rock that I purchased, I thought it was an anemones, maybe a long tentacle that was seriously damaged from the poor condition of the Live rock I purchased...hoped it would grow but I havent seen any growth for awhile. I was told it could be...
  13. A

HELP - emergency bristles attacking my bubble tip

I just bought my first Bubble tip anemones and put her in my tank 3 hours ago, its night now and when I go with the flashlight some large bristle worms are all around it, head of the worm touching its bubble tips. What do I do? Are they attacking it for food? Can I do anything tonight to protect...
  14. A

Emerald Crabs dying

I have lost two of my emeral crabs, strange since my clowns are fine. Just curious if Emeralds are difficult to keep? Any reasons why they might die off when everything else in the tank seems fine? Could they have starved...I never fed them anything, figured they eat the green algae.
  15. A

can you identify this fat creature

Guy gave this critter to me when I bought the live rock, would like to know what it is? Looks more black in the picture but more redish color about 3 inches long and fat, like a catepilar.
  16. A

Algae Bloom of the biggest kind....

Any help here would be greatly appreciate, I try to self analyze but there are so many things happening at once I am out of my league here...need some experience here. So the latest issue I have is a major outbreak of algae in many different forms. I have brown stringy algae growing off some of...
  17. A

Picture of my flatworm

I am attaching a picture of the flatworm I adopted with my live rock purchase. I made a previous posting about it but I just wanted to double check now that I have a picture. Also, now I notice it comes out at night so I can scoop it out if you guys think I should remove it. I also have...
  18. A

Polyps Sprouting

So bought a 100 pounds of live rock from a pet store shutting down, that I dropped into my tank. No washing or cleaning was done however I am taking out four rocks to clean offf the bubble algae. What I am getting is a bunch of these brown polyps sprouting all over the rock, some in sand an on...
  19. A

flat worm in my tank

When I set up my new reef structure we found a flat worm, flat thing about an inch and half long but there was too much rock to catch him. I have been reading people have problems with these things, should I be worried? Will they multiply? We only saw the one and I know he is somewhere in my...
  20. A

Reef tank, is surface area important?

So it was my lucky day today, a guy shutting down a pet store sold me 100 + pounds of Live Rock for super cheap, plus he threw in all kinds of extra stuff...pretty cool. Anyway I built a major reef but remember hearing that it was important to maintain as much surface area as possible. Is this...