Search results

1. anewguy

lookey what i just found

I was just doing my nightly flashlight inspection, and found this little guy out in the open trying to steal a cerith. I knew I had one of these but the one I last saw was half this guys size. So that means I'm back to one- maybe. I'm also on the lookout for what I'm pretty shure was a pistol...
  2. anewguy

cleaning corlaline from the corners

anybody have a good way to clean coraline out from the curved corners? pads and scrapers just don't get in that curve. i even tried a spoon the other night, and that turned pointless pretty quick. any thoughts?
  3. anewguy

i have a curious 250 lighting question

I'm just wondering if anybody has checked the par on the rsm 250? More specifically, wondering if that single reflector is really good enough to grow sps. I've had some sps for about a year now,all params are stable, i have 5 fish that are well fed, i use vodka for low nutrients, i feed...
  4. anewguy

"tree line" effect to corraline?

some time ago i posted this question and was told this was normal, but ive looked at a whole lot of tanks before and since, and it seems corraline always grows evenly across the back of tanks. mine stops and there is no growth all the way across the back in nearly a straight line. it is growing...
  5. anewguy

250 hood fan replacement?

One of the four hood fans has been making alot noise lately. So after messing with it I've discovered that the bearing in it is going bad. Question is- is there a way to replace the fan without having to remove and taking the entire hood apart? I'm not as young as i used to be and my back isn't...
  6. anewguy

a new coraline question and oddity?

Can coraline grow in a "tree line" type formation? I've been noticing it grow in a weird line across the top. Which wouldn't really raise an eyebrow but it is also doing it on the other side as well. you can sortof see what i'm talking about from this... i thought maybe it's the lighting. i...
  7. anewguy

2 "things"

Would anybody know what these are? The worm was hiding on a powerhead, and the other came as a hitchhiker in a coral order.
  8. anewguy

curious question about lighting

There has been lots of thoughts about lighting in recent posts- mh and t5 mostly. Stuff like how close to how far, watts and number of bulbs, kelvin ratings and color types/intensities or par, photoperiod and even uv output.. This all has me curious.- Is there really a difference? Is there a...
  9. anewguy

yup, don't like those pump impellers!

so i've had my rsm250 running now for almost 3 months. and from the start i had overheating issues and when i turned off the skimmer i couldn't get it to start back up again. after the third time, i pulled out the whole thing and took a good long look at the pump thinking maybe there was just...
  10. anewguy

is this a chiton?

this is very small, about the size of a grain of rice. moving very slowly(it took 3 days to move a inch).if it is, do they have a specific purpose? predator/ prey, cleaner-ect?
  11. anewguy

question about gorilla crab

my tank has been up and running for a month now. it looks like i may have gotton a gorilla crab with my live rock. i've only seen it twice, it's incredibly tiny, and quick! so the id is a bit sketchy. now the question is, if it is a gorrilla crab, how big will it get and how long do i have...
  12. anewguy

algae, or?

just got uncured rocks from sealife(thanks ken) and i'm just really very curious what this is? i've looked all over the internet and after not finding anything that looks close i finally just decided to ask you good folks here. any thoughts?
  13. anewguy

and it begins, a 250 max

hope you don't mind another joining the club. after close to 20 years with cichlids i decided to try my hand at sw. after a mess of research i decided on the max 250. even tho there would seem to be some issues with temp (hope they fix that)with these, it still seems like a good place to start...