Search results

1. I

Coral growth

This is true. Xenia is a very fast grower as are most zoas. Some types of mushrooms grow and multipuly very quickly but other are slow to spread. Dosing iodine will help with soft coral growth as will a bit of extra nutrients in the water. Seems like softies like that as they grow faster in my...
  2. I

aquaeuro ps250 or coralife 220??

How big is your tank? An ASM G3 is a big skimmer, plus all the mobs. It can handle a 300g reef. If your tank is 210-350g I would get the ASM. If you go with an Octo you will not regret it.
  3. I

protien skimmer

Ok first off you dont NEED to upgrade the lighting on a NC24. The PC lighting is great for soft corals and LPS corals. If you do go with a 150 watt HQI. As for a skimmer for the NC24 a Remora Nano, CRP Bak Pak, even Sea Clones will all work great on a NC. I think Tunze makes a good nano skimmer...
  4. I

Biocube - Corals?

Bio Cubes are great for corals. I personally have a Nano Cube6, I did up the lighting on it. With the Bio Cube PC lighting you can keep all soft corals, lps and some sps like monti caps. Just keep up on the water changes and get a skimmer like a Remora Nano, CRP or even a Sea Clone will do well...
  5. I

Looking for a skimmer

Reef Octopus skimmers do rock. ASM is always a good choice, but they have updated their design. Octo just can out with a new Needel Wheel line with a bubble plate.
  6. I

What additives do you use and why?

I say it all depends on several factors. 1 dont dose if you are not testing or you know what your system requires. 2 the type of corals you keep. 3 the type of salt you use. A reef salt will have more Ca, Alk, Mag and trace elements that normal salt. 4 how often you do water changes. Softies and...
  7. I

Fuel for reefs

Is anyone using this product on their reef tank?? If so What are your results with it and your thoughts about it? I just started dosing this last week. For those of you that dont know what Fuel is it is an amnio and fatty acid suppliment. Fuel also has some trace elements in it. It is supposed...
  8. I

Is My set-up OK?

I didnt see a skimmer as part of your filteration. Get one it is the best filter you can get for a reef tank. I would get rid of the Penguin filter, it makes nitrates. Keep the live rock rubble in the fuge, it gives the pods a place to hide and breed. And get rid of the UV, they dont do much...
  9. I

Skimmer ? Please help if you can

The Bio Cube skimmers are junk. I work at a LFS that had one on a BC 12. It always skimmed wet and skimmed very little. Just do water changes on your nanos. With a once a week water change you will take out more waste than the skimmer can.
  10. I

Skimmer ?

Yep I think so. Skimmer is still working great.
  11. I

aquaeuro ps250 or coralife 220??

IME Coralife Super Skimmers and not very good. The AquaEuro would be a better skimmer. I used a Super Skimmer 65 for about 2 years. They are sensitive and hard to adjust, if I did check it 30 mins after an adjustment it would likely overflow. For $150-$200 get an Octopus skimmer it will out...
  12. I

ORA Scrips Milli?

My Scrips milli is not getting hardly any PE. All my other sps are getting great PE and are growing, so I dont know whats going on. When I bought the milli it had great color, nice purple tips and brown base with great PE. Now there is no PE and it is brown with a green base. Any tips or help...
  13. I

Retro kit for hqi canopy?

On the HQI nano I dont see the need. You already have plenty of light, you really dont NEED more. If you want more out of the 150 watt hqi put in a Phoenix 14k bulb. They are really bright blue and have outstanding par. It will blow away that Current USA bulb. Another good choice is the XM 20k.
  14. I

Skimmer ?

Ok well even though no one is posting but me, I will update my thread. After adding the 45 degree elbow to the skimmer inlet I finally am getting good skim. The cup has some dark nasty crap in it and the neck is all dirty. The foam head is sable and has chunks of skim in it. After a mesh mod...
  15. I

Reef Octopus Skimmer Advice Please

Both skimmers you are looking at are great and will do you well. I have an 08 design NW110 and it works very well. The new design looks awesome. The DNWB150 will be good or the NW150 both are priced about the same and perform about the same. Just keep in mind the neeed for a supply pump for the...
  16. I

Wanting to transfer to a larger tank

Wow 120lbs in a 55 gallon. No wonder you dont have any room. When you do the move I would only use 50-80lbs. This will give the corals more growing and the fish more room to swim. As for moving it all just get some bins as mentioned to put everything in for the transpher. Use some so the old...
  17. I

93 cube

Yeah you can get more lock line and a Y splitter. This will split one lock line into two. google search lock line or look on some aquarium supply stores.
  18. I

Insane Overstocking- you MUST see this!

Yeah someone should call the Animal Cops on him. Those tangs are freaking out. And that looks like a trigger in there to. All in about 10-14 gallons of water.Take out all the fish but the clown.
  19. I

What do you have in your Refugium

Mineral mud sand mix, chaeto, some calurpra, one well fed snail, and a black clown that jusy doesnt seem to have a place.