Search results

1. F

Dkh test questions

We learn from each other here but yes, you should start with RO.DI water. The way the calcium/alkalinity(2 separate entities) concept was explained to me was: Say Calcium=red balls and your alkalinity agent say Kalwasser= blue balls. Your water is finite so lets say its a bowl. Both blue and...
  2. F

DrHank's Tank's

Ya Know Doc, back in the day when I was a sometime working Jazz Musician Id either hear or play with such monsterly creative musicians that sometimes Id go home in the morning sworn to check out the want ads the next day and find a local pawn shop for my horn. When I see some of the tanks on...
  3. F

System Design

Basile: We do have a common goal,to maximize the active surface area of our sand beds. I plan mine to be much deeper, 4-6". From what I can tell DSB acting as nitrate sinks runs parallel to inadequate water movement and flow on the DSB's surface area(saving other contributions like over feeding...
  4. F

System Design

yes.its true, i do tend to over think things.....all things in moderation.........ommmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
  5. F

System Design

wow..........that is way too quick! Nothing like experience....thanks!
  6. F

my first bta!!!

You must think like an anemone.....Its hard to do!!!!!!LOL LOL Good job!
  7. F

System Design

In your opinion how long to clog a 1" PVC with a 1/4" hole? Just a ball park based upon your experience and NO, i will not hold you to it!!! LOL LOL
  8. F

System Design

Thank You Lynn! It just occurred to me in between posts that if I made the holes very very large I could still control the flow through a external valve and extend the life of the device from clogging.
  9. F

System Design

the bulkhead would be at bottom level and would be feed (in part)by the return pump. The outside PVC would be a upside down "U" that would be above water level and the top of the U would have a bleeder valve to allow any air that might collect there to escape. Rocks directly on the bottom would...
  10. F

System Design

You are not fully uunderstanding because I was not articulate enough and thought my post already quite long! Pains would be taken to make the frame as much out of sight as possible with perhaps 45 degree down angles. In time the growth and addition of corals would cover cracks not initially...
  11. F

System Design

I am in the process of researching many issues related to reef keeping with my system design in mind. I wanted to put my thoughts out here that contrary opinions may be aired. Thus exposing me to ideas that have not occurred to me. Assumption: it is very beneficial to expose as much of the...
  12. F

my first bta!!!

+1 here. In my experience BTA's will go where THEY feel comfortable and most likely will not stay where we would like them. Also, their migration may be light driven also. Depending on lighting conditions of the depth they were harvested and or kept by the LFS they may shun the light or get as...
  13. F

DrHank's Tank's

I should have started a new thread?
  14. F

DrHank's Tank's

Re: Lots of Coral been doing a lot of research and reading, some formal papers, most by experienced hobbyists. IMO you are 100% correct re: coral population......there always seems to be an empty space that MUST be filled!! LOL LOL The thing is: it is very beneficial for energy transfer...
  15. F

how many powerheads are needed

Re: Avoiding laminar flow IYO how can one avoid laminar flow??
  16. F

The problem with DSBs

can crushed coral 1-5 mm be used in a plenum system and why is "gravel' recommended?
  17. F

The problem with DSBs

If the idea is to create the largest LOW oxygen area possible why not the DSB with a UG and a very slow flow? In theory all sections of the DSB would receive "some" oxygen. Key would be to fine tune flow rate? Not trying to reinvent wheel here ,,,,,,just thinking.:jester:
  18. F

The problem with DSBs

The question is begged in my mind: UG with DSB on top???:dunno:
  19. F

The problem with DSBs

Truth be told clownfish518 I lack the required scientific training to make a TRULY INFORMED judgment and even if I has such training i would just be another credible source in the difference of opinions. Therefore I am relegated to following that which instinct tells me has made the best...