Search results

1. Heliox

MILLIONS of them now!

Well, after weeks and even months of frustration all the help here has paid off! I bought the six line, but saw little change in the population (but a very plump and happy little six-line wrasse) . I siphoned what I could day after day, a very very tedious task and seemed to have absolutely no...
  2. Heliox

Waiter, I think there is a hare in my RSM!

Well, alas after treating my tank for the second time for flatworm, this hitch hiker succumbed to the broth. BUT, it did not seem to foul my tank when it died as no other casualties were seen (other than them dang flatworms).
  3. Heliox

MILLIONS of them now!

Thanks reefmasta. Understand that Mandarins are not gobies, but I have yet to see one referred to as a Mandarin dragonet anywhere, so I am just sticking with convention. Well, that makes me feel much better that I wont have a major toxic dump if I use the Flat Worm exit. I devised a much better...
  4. Heliox

MILLIONS of them now!

Arrow crabs huh? Maybe, thanks. I'll tell ya, trying to siphon those little buggers is time consuming and hugely frustrating. I feel like after about an hour and a 1/10th of my water removed I hardly made a dent in the population. So my local LFS guy says he thinks that Mandarin gobies might...
  5. Heliox

MILLIONS of them now!

So siphon, carbon and six line.. and then perhaps Flat Worm exit if that doesn't work. (I just wrote 'flat line exit'.. oops, my medical background showing) SO much appreciation for all your help here. thank you again.
  6. Heliox

MILLIONS of them now!

A six line wrasse will eat them???? And they are not toxic to that fish? I am going to get a really good siphon (that turkey baster is useless) and will start getting rid of as many as I can. Anyone know if there was any correlation to crabs dieing and the sudden appearance of these...
  7. Heliox

MILLIONS of them now!

The last thing I added was a sun coral maybe 6 weeks ago. CRAP! I often wonder if I have had so many hitchhikers in my aquarium because I started with uncured rock and my tank never cycled. This because I had live gravel apparently. Anywho.. guess I have my work cut out for me in the next...
  8. Heliox

MILLIONS of them now!

Ok, maybe not millions but there are a whole ___load of them in my tank. They appeared suddenly about one month ago, a few on the tank walls, then noticed them in huge numbers by the end of the week. The only thing that I noticed happening when they came into the tank that my emerald and...
  9. Heliox

question about link n locks extension

I have seen a few RSM pictures here with extensions on the stock output adaptors at the back of the tank. I bought the articulated extension but am unsure of how to hook it onto the existing port. The extensions came without any instructions for connecting. Anyone have any ideas?
  10. Heliox

YIKES! I don't want that. I saw Shrek (he has earlike protrusions that look like Shreks ears) on the front of the tank yesterday. The algae seems to be undercontrol in my tank. What should I feed Shrek? Also Boomer, this animal is usually quite squat and roundish in appearance. The picture of...
  11. Heliox

So I see this blob in my tank about 6 weeks after set up. And it seemed to be cutting a fine swath through the algae collected on the back glass (very welcomed event). It had stayed out of sight for the whole 6 weeks to my surprise. Am I correct that this is a sea hare? It has been a few...
  12. sea_hare2

sea_hare2

13. Sea_Hare_3

Sea_Hare_3

14. Sea_Hare

Sea_Hare

15. Heliox

what to use to attach corals to LR

wow, this is cool beans. I did not think that there was a product you could use to attach frags and rocks together while they were in the aquarium. (packing up now to find some cyanoacrylate super gel at the nearest home depot)
  16. Heliox

6 weeks no significant Ammonia

Really? I did not know that. I had it running and producing quite a bit of sludge since day 1. Damn. Wouldn't the decaying uncured live rock have provided the feed for a cycle? But think I will try the shrimp to see if I can get a spike in numbers. This is great stuff, thanks for all the...
  17. Heliox

Disturbing live sand

perfect, and I have done that now.. Thanks!!
  18. Heliox

R/O verses Distilled

I'm glad that I came across this thread. I had thought since everyone was using R/O water that it was better than distilled. I can't put a R/O unit in my place so distilled is what I will continue to buy. Hollow, distilled for only 99cents a gallon? wow, it is $1.99 to 2.49 here. Still...
  19. Heliox

6 weeks no significant Ammonia

Rock was definitely uncured. Smelled like some unholy mess from a manure pile. I also have to say that I used LIVESAND by Nature's Ocean and they claimed instant cycling. Live Sand Bio-Activ Live™ Aragonite I actually didn't believe it and thought it would just expedite things, but not...
  20. Heliox

Disturbing live sand

One other question. I have great flow through my RSM with an extra hydor pumping 600gph, but I still have pockets of detrius in between the bottom of my rocks. Is it alright to 'suck up' the detrius from the top level of live sand with my 10% water changes? Knowing that I will be disturbing the...