Search results

1. DublD

Most important pieces of reef equipment.

LOL.........Not necessary but VERY convenient and consistent as are other automation devices for the reef. It is a cheap add on though and IMO beats the heck out of topping off water every day, let alone the issues if you head out of town for a few days. Your corals will appreciate the...
  2. DublD

Most important pieces of reef equipment.

Although there are different thoughts on how much flow through a fuge is good, I have to side with the mag 18 being a bit much for you. I use a mag 9.5 on my 90 for return and think it is just fine. One additional item I didn't see listed was an auto top off unit. You want to keep your salinity...
  3. DublD

Keys Dive Trip

Awesome! I've always wanted to dive the keys.........thanks for the pix
  4. DublD

Skimmer suggstion

Vertex IN 100, Octopus extremes, the new octopus xp 2000 looks like it will be cool...vertex alpha 170 and ATB cones for a bit more of a premium, although the last two may be a bit overkill
  5. DublD

Skimmer suggstion

There's a few good ones out there that would work for you. Do you have size or budget limitations?
  6. DublD

Catalina PC lighting

I've owned two units from them....halide/pc and halide/vho. I loved them both. Ditto to Big Al...a lot of bang for the buck
  7. DublD

Vertex IN-180

I have one.....Love it! It pulls some pretty nasty, stinky goo.......consistently
  8. DublD

Looking for a skimmer

+1 on the Vertex! They rock for the money! I hear nothing but good from the MSX's too
  9. DublD

$^#$^@$^ pistol shrimp

LOL!.......that makes me laugh I'll never own another one.
  10. DublD

Skimmer Recommendation

I have no experience with the EV-180 but have had the Remoras (similar to the urchin) and G2. For the kind of price range those are in, I might also take a look at the the Octopus extreme 160 or 200 as well as the Vertex IN 100 or 180...both of which will give better performance than either the...
  11. DublD

SeaClone 100

So true! You can almost blow bubbles through a straw and get better performance. Many of us have gone down that ugly, regrettable path of the Seaclone.
  12. DublD

Flatworm eXit question?

You surely have WAY more than you suspect. If you see a few, there are likely a ton of them hiding in the rocks and such. I used FWE successfully a little stronger than the box instructed with great results. siphon as many as you can see and use a filter sock to catch the others that get down...
  13. DublD

Battery Backup For Pump

Lusigo.....have you tested this out? Do your props spin in the right direction when the backup kicks on? I have a couple of UPS's. One for my return pump and one for what was supposed to be my koralias. I had issues with the koralias starting in the wrong direction. I was given a prop mod (small...
  14. DublD

New to you

OMG a tubeworm! I've finally hit my life long dream of becoming a tubeworm! ;)
  15. DublD

New to you

Hi Amy Welcome to your new sickness........reefkeeping! :) You have a lot to learn but ask away. There are a lot of experienced reefkeepers out there willing to assist. I would also like to squash your dragonet dreams however. Your tank should be up for a minimum of a year IMO to sustain one...
  16. DublD

Tank Covered or not?

OMG that sucks. I had to think about it for a minute but I guess ketchup would be acidic though, huh? Wouldn't it figure the damsels were the ones that made it. :cry1:
  17. DublD

is skimmer needed on 55 FOWLR?

hahaha........no doubt
  18. DublD

is skimmer needed on 55 FOWLR?

I wouldn't call that a light load. All three can eat quite a bit and are messy eaters. The skimmer isn't needed but it would certainly be beneficial. If you are going skimmerless, I would be very religous about water changes and make sure you are growing macroalgae. I think a good skimmer...
  19. DublD

What a morning

That sucks! Good thing you were home!
  20. DublD

bacteria working in fresh water?

Hi SW and FW bacteria are different. The SW bacteria will die and the ceramic rings will eventually populate with FW bacteria. A protein skimmer will not work in FW......at best, not well.