Search results

1. fishmama67

What is it?!

I have a couple of little dealies that look like anemones but the LAST time I thought that, it turned out I just had a moderate case of Aptasia! SO let's see if I can discribe it (because my flippin' camara doesn't work!) Here goes: There are I think three of them. The have an almost clear main...
  2. fishmama67

when do you change the resin?

I have a RO/DI Plus unit from Bulkreefsupply with duel DI chambers. The first one is about 3/4 brown now but the second chamber is still almost all blue. Anyone know when to change the resin out? I don't want to dump the resin yet if it isn't exhausted but I don't want IT to dump if it is. My...
  3. fishmama67

Who can tell me true?

So I was down at the LFS drooling :drooool: over the Coral Beauty and the Flame Angels. I have been reading in my "fish book" that these kids sometimes will nip the clam mantles and the soft corals.:bouncebox FSG says that is not true. I have learned not to completely trust the FSG so...
  4. fishmama67

Setting up the QT

As many of you know, I am just a baby in the Salt water world (only 5 months old) with a 55 gallon tank. Presently I have FOWLR but am aiming for a reef tank with all the fun and pretties that go with. Since I have been a member of RS, I have read myriad posts about the use of a quarantine tank...
  5. fishmama67

So what do you think this is?

Is this red slime all over this rock? It looks different from the coraline on the rest of the rocks and is progressing faster.Here's another shot of it.And what are the green "splats" all over the glass? They act like coraline but are bright green instead. kinda remind me of rock lichen in the...
  6. fishmama67

Whatzis?

I have a bunch of these things in my rocks now. I think they may be some kind of tube worm or the like but I don't know. They are very tiny individually (maybe an 1/8 of an inch in height) but make up patches of about three inches in diameter. Any ideas? Or are they just an outbreak of really...
  7. fishmama67

Still no answers about rinsing food.

StillI seek answers about rinsing frozen food such as Prime Reef so that there are less/no preservatives. Folks been saying that algae problems and such are often caused in part by preservatives in the processed foods. However, if I rinse the prime reef, I end up with a bunch of mooshy bits and...
  8. fishmama67

What is the best test kit and why?

I have been trying to figure out the best test kit(s) for a SW reef tank. At present I have FOWLR but am SSSLLLLOOOOWWWWLY working towards a reef tank. Now, I know I need to test for Ammonia pH, Nitrate, nitrites at present as well as salinity. However, as ya'll are well awrae, there are a BUNCH...
  9. fishmama67

Levels that won't reach zero

I have a 55 FOWLR which I am hoping to eventually turn into a full-on reef tank. I have been set up since February. At present, I am down to 2 True Percula clown fish. Everyone else has died. I use boxed water as it was touted around the fish store as the least hassle and best balance. It is...
  10. fishmama67

lighting for my 55gal.

I am ready to order my lights. I went to the website for the retro kits Doc sent me earlier and I have a couple of questions. If I want, I can change the product options. The ones listed are: 54W 48inch TRU Actinic 54W 48inch TRU 10,000K 48Inch 54 W Aquasun 10,000K UV Reef White 10,000K...
  11. fishmama67

Mama's got a brand new baby!

I don't know how often I will be able to up-date this as I am teaching full time and earning my Masters too but here goes! I entered the undersea world at the beginning of February. Went to class one Saturday after "shopping around" at the local fish store thinking about thinking about...
  12. fishmama67

So now I have a skimmer

I have a 55, so far fish only tank. It has been up and running since the beginning of February. I have 30# LS and 45-50# LR. Two skunk stripe shrimp and one verteren chromi. This weekend I finally acquired two more Chromis and two small perculas as well as a protein skimmer. While the fish are...
  13. fishmama67

I am very proud of myself!

SO as a newbie to the SW world, I was close to committing the most typical of errors for us...namely going way too fast. I am so proud of myself because I waited!!!!:angel1: I waited an entire week before rechecking my levels and I also quit messin' with stuff! My water has perfect levels now...
  14. fishmama67

Anyone ever had one vanish?

I have a 55 gal. FO (for now) tank. Had 5 Chromis and 2 skunk stripe shrimp. Lost three chromis over a period of about a month but I always found them...stuck to the intake or laying on the bottom. Last night I said 'Night to everyone at lights-out and there were still my two chromis and 2...
  15. fishmama67

newbie at being a fish mom

Hi, I have just started my first salt water reef fish home. It is now about 1/2 way through my third week with the tank/home up and running though 2 of my 5 fish kids have been here for two weeks and the other 3 (all 5 are Green Chromis by the way) are into their 1st full week. 55 gallon tank...