Search results

1. chefunk

Chamber of death water flow

In trying to trace my micro bubble problem I have determined that part of the problem is that water does not flow into the chamber of death fast enough to keep the water level high enough to cover the return pump tubes. Looking down from the top I can see where it spills over from the heater...
  2. chefunk

Mechanical filtration

I continue to be unhappy with, and puzzled by, my mechanical filtration. I seem to have a lot of particulate floating in my tank and I can get rid of it. Currently I have recently upgraded to the Tunze 9002 with Stevie t's media rack. The media rack contains chemi pure elite, purigen, stock...
  3. chefunk

Lighting upgrade?

Thinking about upgrading the lighting in my 130D and I'm curious what people are doing? I've been reading up a bit on the Outer Orbit line. What are people using?
  4. chefunk

Water Clarity?

Anybody have problems or solutrions to lack of water clarity? My chemistry seems fine, all flora and fauna happy and healthy, but I have a lot of tiny specs in my water that I assume are DOC's. I emptied the chamber of death yesterday and replaced with Chemi-pure Elite AND Purigen but it does...
  5. chefunk

Bubbles or crud?

I seem to have a lot of white particualte floating around in my tank, I don't think it's micro bubbles as they dont seem to move like bubbles as much as junk, if you know what I mean.....All my chemistry seems fine, and filters have been cleaned. Any thoughts on what my problem might be?
  6. chefunk

maximas with stock lighting?

Curious if anybody has had any luck with maxima clams using stock RSM 130D lighting. LFS's I've talked to have not been encouraging so I have not attempted, I am trying to keep my RSM as stock as possible. Anybody?
  7. chefunk

Tunze 9002 to replace stock

Hello Team! I'm thinking, for noise reasons, about replacing my stock skimmer with the tunze nano 9002. Can it fit in the slot for the stock skimmer or do I have to do a mod? If not in the stock slot, where? How doI address the collection cup? Any input gratefully accepted!
  8. chefunk

Just hypothetically see..........

I'm sure plenty of people have modified or replaced thier stock skimmer on the 130d. Mine is in my TV room and wife complains it's too loud. Can't say I disagree.... What have you replaced it with? Are there any that fit down in the existing skimmer slot in the back? Are there any simple mods...
  9. chefunk

Pick my fish!

I'm ready to add a fish to my tank and would like you all to help me pick the first one! I've read a lot about Damsel's and Goby's and Blennies and can't decide among thier relative merits. What was your first fish? How did it work out for you? :hug1:
  10. chefunk

Oil slick?

There appears to be a flm, like oil, riding the surface of my tank, with lots of detrius in it. Am I experienceing poor skimmer performance? I also notice that my skimmer air intake is suddenly making a sucking noise like when you get to the bottom of your glass of milk! Have I just not...
  11. chefunk

Tiny White Buggers.....

Since I added my deli shrimp I have noticed hundreds of tiny , too small for me to really see, things swarming the shrimp carcass and also on the glass. I know they are alive because of the way they move. I'm assuming they are a good, expected part of the cycling process? Everything SEEMS to...
  12. chefunk

How long for deli shrimp?

So I chucked in a deli shrimp, actually a 36-40 prawn, and it kicked off my cycle with a bang. How long do I leave it in? It's been in for about three days and is sitting in the corner minding it's own business. When should I yank it? :dunno:
  13. chefunk

Let the games begin!

Tomorrow will be day 7 of the cycle on my new RSM 130D, looking good! These picks were taken a couple of days ago before things really started taking off, lot's of life now. Mostly just trying to see if I can post pics, more to come as life goes on.
  14. chefunk

No Bloom yet?

Maybe I should be careful what I wish for but......I expected by this time in my cycle (5 days) to see some evidence of an algae bloom. Things I had read lead me to understand this was normal and expected. Am I just lucky? Will it happen latter? All the chemistry parameters seem fine when I...
  15. chefunk

Just got the call! It's here tomorrow!

Just got word my RSM 130D is sitting on the dock here in the city, SF, delivery tomorrow, guess what I'll be doing all weekend! Now I just have to figure out where to get my Live Rock from, opinions? LFS or internet? How do I determine quality if I go the LFS route?
  16. chefunk

I'm ready...where shall I buy?

I've done my research, think I can handle it, ready to jump in and purchase the RSM 130D. Only question left to answer is where to buy it? Price does not seem to vary much so i guess it's comes down to customer service. Can anybody make reccomendations for web sites to make my purchase? I...
  17. chefunk

Hello Reefers!

Total newbie here....trying to do my research before getting started, have my heart set on a Red Sea Max 130D - any opinions? Anybody have thoughts about how loud it runs? Cheers!