Search results

1. RockBox

Going for a natural look with-out exotic corals.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Some of your comment were pretty encouraging. On another note I thought I would post some pics of my corals in their new home a 120 gallon. The orange circles indicate the corals that came from my tank: His picture taking skills need some...
  2. RockBox

Now Heres A Cool Lil Story

Feeder goldfish are cheep and sell for 10-20 cents each retail.
  3. RockBox

Ever have tank nightmares?

I actually sold off most of my corals after having dreams of tank crashes while I was away. I'll restock when my traveling winds down.
  4. RockBox

What the heck is on my stylophora?

Looks like the coral tissue bubbling up.
  5. RockBox

Going for a natural look with-out exotic corals.

Because of the need to travel more often I decided to sell off most of my corals from my 40 breeder. The fear of coming home to a full blown crash was too much for me. Instead of tearing down the tank altogether I decided to go for a more self sustained ecosystem with an emphasis placed on...
  6. 40 Gallon Breeder

40 Gallon Breeder

40 Gallon Breeder
  7. 40 Gallon Breeder

40 Gallon Breeder

40 Gallon Breeder
  8. RockBox

disappearing zoo's

I'd suspect the angel as well but would also inspect closely for zoa eating nudibranchs.
  9. RockBox

This may be an easy one for you veterans...

^ Agreed. Their tubes are deeply rooted and difficult to remove completely. You would need to remove the rock and gauge out infected area with a sharp metal object or drill bit. Since your tank looks young that's what I would do.
  10. RockBox

bratyboys 29 gallon build

Green BTAs are not nearly as troublesome as the RBTAs IME. I really can't recommend anything else because I have no personal experience with keeping anemones. All my experience comes from what I have seen working in the business side of things over the years.
  11. RockBox

Tank Longevity (just ranting)

Re: Tank Longivity (just ranting) I think adaptability plays a big part in having long term success. Certain species of marine life adapt very well while others don't. You can get a good gauge of this by studying the behavior of your livestock and others. I think sedentary or territorial...
  12. RockBox

The thing with BTAs particularly the RBTAs is that you put one in your tank and soon you will have several. They like to move around a bit and can be troublesome. If its something you really want to do then be patient and wait until your tank is established a few months.
  13. RockBox

Re: Tank Longivity (just ranting) How long have you been running an ATS? I still think macro algae growing in the system is much more low tech than having a messy ATS to deal with. I would trust a refugium based system long term before I would an ATS. More things can go wrong with them...
  14. RockBox

Whats a good anemone for a first one?

I just wanted to make it clear that I would never recommend a regular carpet for a tank that size. In fact I don't recommend BTAs unless you are placing an emphasis on them with a pair of clowns. You could throw some xenia, shrooms, gsps, etc... in there and not have to worry too much about the...
  15. RockBox

Re: Tank Longivity (just ranting) I think a big key to longevity is to stock lightly with regard to fish. I also find that you get more natural behavior that way. I don't find having numerous fish swimming up against the glass all day to be all that appealing. I also think that having a fair...
  16. RockBox

So how many fish are going into the 29 now? I have a total of 5 small fish in my 40. I'd stick with 3-4 in a 29. Anything more than that and you will have a hard time replicating a tank like mine. Its good that you found a home for the copperband.
  17. RockBox

New to the Forum & This is my Tank

Thanks again everyone! I have never used a protein skimmer on any of my tanks. I dose a 2 part every day for calcium and alkalinity. I feed my LPS corals several times a week during the night. Lately I have been feeding them frozen mini-mysis.
  18. RockBox

Whats a good anemone for a first one?

Mini-carpets = Stichodactyla tapetum, are a miniature species of carpet anemone that mimics ricordea and are very popular with nano tanks. They do pack a potent sting though.
  19. RockBox

This may be an easy one for you veterans...

Best way to get rid of them is to take the rock out and torch them. Another method that works is completely covering them with glue or epoxy and placing LR rubble on top of them.
  20. RockBox

Non-Photosynthetic Reef!!!!!!

It would be nice but there are very few people in the world that have been able to keep most of the things he has in there alive for more than a year. Most don't even live that long. The chili and sun corals in there are about the only things I can see that do well long term. Non-photosynthetic...