Search results

1. turbiville

I don't know what else to do? Please help

I had an ongoing bryopsis algae problem for months, and then decided to try the Kent M magnesium trick and it worked within a week. I don't have so much as a hair in my tank. I lost all of my snails, but at least the algae is gone.
  2. turbiville

A bed for Nemo

My clown (kids named him Nemo too) loves the big Frogspawn in his tank. He is the only fish in there and is often resting peacefully in his bed.
  3. turbiville

What is the longest that you have left your RSM unattended?

I only have one small percula. He has been in there for 13 months and I tried feeding him for a month. Wouldn't eat anything that I tried, and I figured he would just die. A year later he looks great and is very happy.
  4. turbiville

Harold’s RSM Adventure

Beautiful frog! I lived in La Antigua Guatemala for almost 4 years, and I really miss it. I'm glad that you got an RSM down there, do you like the Guate City?
  5. turbiville

What is the longest that you have left your RSM unattended?

One of the great luxuries of an RSM is that I feel safe enough to leave it unattended at all, but I will be going on vacation for 7 days and I haven't arranged for anyone to check on it. I plan on topping it off and shortening the light cycle to limit evaporation. I haven't fed my fish in close...
  6. turbiville

Mag-Flip

I would probably use a Dremel blade to cut it off. I have all the parts, maybe I will TOFTT this evening....
  7. turbiville

My first impatient mistake? {PICS}

It does have that green glow under the actinic moonlights of the Red Sea Max. I always thought that glow was a trait attributed to the zooanthellae in a photosynthetic coral. That's probably not right, is it? Thank you.
  8. turbiville

My first impatient mistake? {PICS}

I was in the LFS yesterday taking in some Mexican turbos that had outgrown the tank. I got a few bucks in credit and was looking at the frag tank, I saw an beautiful orange coral that I loved, my daughter thought it looked like Cheetos and she liked it too. I asked the guy what it was and he...
  9. turbiville

Mag-Flip

Do need to clean it? I don't really see anything on the blade that looks like it needs to be cleaned.
  10. turbiville

Mag-Flip

Mine has pretty much stopped working on the tuff stuff. I'll keep it because I have rearraged the live rock to take advantage of it thin profile, but I'm using the old kent scraper again. Any more on that blade mod? Am I supposed to change the junky plastic scraper blade on this thing every 2 weeks?
  11. turbiville

Corals in the RSM - pictures and comments on successes, failures, new additions, etc.

Re: Corals in the RSM - pictures and comments on successes, failures, new additions, OT- My Clown Goby is now hosting with the frogspawn. Is that normal? Does normal have any relevancy when discussing clown gobies?
  12. turbiville

Corals in the RSM - pictures and comments on successes, failures, new additions, etc.

Re: Corals in the RSM - pictures and comments on successes, failures, new additions, I really like this thread, thank you for starting it. I've never done a profile of my RSM130D, maybe I should, but I'll start here. It's about 5 months old, I started with some outstanding live rock (A++...
  13. turbiville

Mag-Flip

Upon further review.... I've decided that my old Mag-Float works better or the everyday thin stuff, but I'm still glad that I bought the Mag-Flip. It is a significant enough difference that I went ahead and put the mag-float back in along side the flip.
  14. turbiville

Skimmer & water changes

I'm using Tropic-Marin reef salt. I do turn the pumps & skimmer off, the over skimming happens when I turn it back on. Maybe I just need to wait a few hours and extend the skimmer tube.
  15. turbiville

Skimmer & water changes

It's clear with a little foam. I'm using the stock RSM skimmer.
  16. turbiville

Skimmer & water changes

I do a weekly 5 gallon water change, and almost as soon as I am done, the skimmer cup is full. It can fill up 3 or more times. I started to worry that it was pulling out some of the minerals & nutrients that the fresh saltwater is replenishing, so I now shut off the skimmer until morning after a...
  17. turbiville

Mag-Flip

I bought one today. It removed some pretty tough stuff, it wasn't like cutting warm butter, in fact my wrist hurts a little, but it took less than 10 minutes of moderate rubbing at a medium pace, and the stuff the mag-float could touch is all gone. I'd recommend it, based on it's first day...
  18. turbiville

carbon bags floating.....

Furthermore, I have Chemipure elite in the chamber of death ( it's never floated on me) and the carbon/LR to the left of the skimmer. The bag of carbon the comes with the RSM is probably enough for a tank 3 times bigger, so I am using a little less.
  19. turbiville

looking to join the team

The skimmer sounds like any other skimmer when the air is full throttle, but I usually have mine choked down about halfway. I have mine in the formal living room, I had some guests sleep on an air mattress in the room last night, with the skimmer off, it was quieter than the laptop macbook my...