Search results

1. Yarr

Missing!

Lost.. 1 x Woodstock loved member of reef sanctuary, always playful and full of advice.. Been missing since October, wont answer PMs. If anyone has any information leading to the whereabouts of said Woodstock a healthy Karma reward will be offered.
  2. Yarr

Skimmer Flow

I have a aqua medic skimmer.. I currently have it set up as a bypass fed from one of the overflows. I am probably going to change it when i get home to be fed soley from a pump. this will solve a few mino rissues i have atm. My question is.. In the specs for the skimmer it says anywhere...
  3. Yarr

Hi Ho

howdy all.. just a quick note to say allo and let everyone know that i am going fine and all is well. I cant say exactly what ive bene up to for obvious reasons but needless to say Afghanistan is a inhospitable place. Apparently i can do 15 things at once and they know it and for some reaosn...
  4. Yarr

Goodbye!@!

I just wanted to dorp everyone a line before i head off.. As soem of you are aware i am being deployed to afghanstian. well.. the time has come and i will be leaving tomorrow. My tank is in a state if limbo now the plan is for it ti remain in its cutrrrent state and let it mature more whilst i...
  5. Yarr

Yarr's 180 Reef.

I figured i would start a new thread as my old one well. is a different tank all together :) The tank is a 6 x 2 x 2 all glass tank with 2 corner overflows. I have made a sump for it out of my old 4 foot tank and am in the process of making the stand, which i am desperately trying to find...
  6. Yarr

Aqua Medic Skimmers

I have a Aqua Medic Turbo 5000 Shorty II ( long arse name! ) skimmer. I have not hooked it all up yet due ot my tank crash.. me being away and am still building my sump. Does anyone have any experiences with these skimmers ? When installing it into my sump i am curious to know at what...
  7. Yarr

Lighting and heat.

How does oen work out how much heat an appliance iwll produce.. ie.. water flwo vs wattage of lighting vs volume ot water and ambient temperature.. is there a rough rule of thumb or more specific formula.. Basically i am looking at buying a chiller and need ot know which unit to get...
  8. Yarr

Substrate

I am planning on making my 100 and my 180 fgal both from BB into sandbeds.. probably about 3 inches i reckon.. just curious as to wht size grain people use.. the only one i can get an real affordable price in crushed marble.. different from CC and it is about 1mm in diamter... i can...
  9. Yarr

Painting Tanks

Ok.. i painted the back of my 100Gal and really like to colour... point to note for anyone attempting to do the same.. the colour youchose won tbe the same colour that u see in the tank. lighting. refraction through the water and other stuff will all affect the end result. anyhow.... I used...
  10. Yarr

Adjusting PH

I was just wondering how everyone adjusts their PH. i am not talkign about dripping for buffer adn whatnot. but when your params are out and need to be changed. how do you go about it and what do you use ?
  11. Yarr

Out with the old, in with the new!

I finallly got rid of my humbug damsels.. will never regret doing what had ot be done! buggers of things.. got rid of them to make way for 2 new orange spotted yellow tangs :) they are wicked cool and are MUNCHING away at the algea.. good lil critters.. cute.. AND helpful :)
  12. Yarr

A wee bit concerned

I came home for easter to find that my anenome has shrunk in size by a considerable degree and is bleached out. The water params are stable and havent varied a great deal in many months now. He sits high in the tank and usually loves it. Has been a well loved member of our tank for about a...
  13. Yarr

Away Again

heya all. i am on my course in Sydney and it is just so depressing. Only 2 months to go :/ My new tank FINALLY arrived.. only a month late. so now it will have to wait til i get home to do anything with it.. bah! not happy jan! oh well. gives me more to look forward to i guess. I hope...
  14. Yarr

BB comign to an END?

Seems certain trends of late are for people to abandon the BB idea and return to running substrate of some kind. Is it all just a fad ?? simple asthetics or requirements of animals that people are keeping ? Enqurirings minds want to know! me?? i still believe in BB.
  15. Yarr

Tank stands

How high do your stands sit ? include dimensions of your tanks I am building the stand for the 180 gal. and i am fearing that it might end up sitting far too high. is 72 in x 48 inch tank and at current measurements it will be sitting more than a meter from the ground. Im worried that it...
  16. Yarr

MH lighting

Im sure there has been 101 million threads asking these exact same questions.. but.. here goes.. My 100 gal and my 180 gal will both need a changeover to MH lighting. Cost wisei am probably only able to afford a 150w system. I am not sure if this will be enough lighting for all the gooies i...
  17. Yarr

How long can tank water last ??

I've been tihnking abou tthe best way to move all my stuff when i have to change jobs. I wan tot take my water with me in the removeal so i dont have ot go through aaslong of a cycle again. especialyl with rock and corals and fish waiting in the balance. IF the wwater was stored in slealed...
  18. Yarr

Calculators

Ive on some other forums that they have calulators installed to work out anything from volume conversions.. to pipe size to time to sand bed thickness.. just about anything. Would it be possible to add this feature to our site ? I think it would be a very valuable asset to us :) fun to play...
  19. Yarr

Plumbing

As i have stated in other posts i am running 2 tanks from the 1 sump and essentially have 1 large system. 280 gallons of display tanks not accounting for TRUE water volume. I calculate there will be about 30 Gal of actually water in the sump not including that internal to the skimmer and that of...
  20. Yarr

Protein SKimmer Flow

Rightio.. I have my new skimmer and whatnot waiting to go into the sump and be plumbed. I had origionally decided to use a pump from the sump to pump water to the inlet of the skimmer. 2700 L/hour pump which is well witin the range of the skimmer's flow requirements. On the lower side but still...