Search results

1. C

Palau Neon Green Nepthea

Recently was offered a frag of one of these corals as a trade. I wasn't able to find much info on these corals with regard to their difficulty and care needs etc although they are purported to no longer be in existence in the wild. Anyone have one of these and can you point me to any further...
  2. C

Help!!! Hammer Coral - Receding Tissue

Have a Green Wall Hammer that I've had for about 4 months. I noticed around the start of the new year that it had a couple of small areas where the tissue had receded up the skeleton a little.... It been growing like crazy and I thought it may have just been due to that In looking at it today...
  3. C

Cabbage Leather for trade (SF Bay Area)

Have a 4" cabbage leather for trade. 3rd generation captive bred coral that is super hardy and a pretty fast grower. I have several of these and would like a little more variety in my tank. Would prefer to trade with someone local to the SF bay area if possible.
  4. C

Sea-Lab 28

As I was going to be away a lot over the holiday season, I was worried about my neighbor trying to maintain tank chemistry for 2+ weeks. My LFS recommended I get a 1kg block of Sea-Lab 28 in my sump to maintain Calc, Alk and trace elements etc. They apparently use it to maintain the tanks in...
  5. C

Pump for a 54 Gallon

I'm currently running a Mag Drive 12 from my sump up to the display. I have about 5' of head but also have it running through a check valve so that the tank doesn't drain back into the sump in an electrical outage and then up to a SCWD. Since I recently installed the check valve I've...
  6. C

New Frags

Thought I would share some nice frags that I got this week from some local reefers. It'll be an interesting adventure as this will be my first real foray into SPS. I figured if I was gonna go into SPS I would buy only specimens I really like. I get the feeling this hobby is gonna become a whole...
  7. C

Moving a 115 Gallon Reef

With the economy slowing down, there are many sweet deals to be had on on complete setups on Craigslist and Ebay...So I'm thinking that it may be time to move on up from the 55g to something around 115g. I've read some articles on the web with some conflicting info on moving reefs. For those...
  8. C

How tall is your canopy?

I'm currently looking at a used tank (100 gallon) on ebay. The listing says that the canopy is 8" tall and currently has 448W of PC lighting in it. Ideally I would also like to get my 250W HQI reef optix fixture in there also which is about 4" tall. For those of you who have a canopy and are...
  9. C

My local 212,000 gallon reef :)

I was fortunate enough to visit the new Steinhart Aquarium at the California Academy of Science today which has one of he largest coral reef exhibits in the world and thought I would share. Steinhart Aquarium: California Academy of Sciences The new aquarium features a 212,000 gallon 25' deep...
  10. C

How long has your anemone been in your care?

I have been deeply saddened by the high mortality rate and volume of posts by aquarists who are struggling with caring for a nem. I have also unwittingly watched a couple of these animals slowly demise when I first got into the hobby through the usual mistakes of insufficient lighting...