Search results

1. chriswho

Not So Distant Future Plans...

My friend called me up today, and told me he was thinking of adding a fuge, or a sump, but he couldn't decide which one. He asked me what I thought. I told him that, I myself had been thinking of adding a fuge to my setup. The cost would be pretty minimal and it wouldn't be that difficult...
  2. chriswho

Lunar Cycle & Spawning

I've read about some controllers that can reproduce natural lunar cycles and promote spawning in both fish and corals. These controllers are currently out of my price range and I was wondering if there was a way that I could set my lunars up on a seperate timer and achieve the same effect. Has...
  3. chriswho

Reef Cleaners!

I just ordered my 40 lbs. of base rock from Reef Cleaners on Friday. I was having some trouble getting my debit card to go through since I'm in the process of activating a new one the bank has issued to everyone. I'd just like to say that their customer service is second to none. I guess they...
  4. chriswho

New Rocks!

Sorry It's so long. Ok... So I'm about to order some much needed LR. I'm short probably around 20-30 lbs. and I have some that has close to no pores at all that I want to ditch. Sooo... I'm going to order 40lbs. from Reef Cleaners. On their website it says that there is no need to cycle these...
  5. chriswho

Can Someone Please ID These?

Here are the new polyps I got the other day. I'm not sure what they are, and I would like to know what kind of flow they would need in order to do best. I think they may be star polyps, but a friend begs to differ. Maybe you guys can help me.
  6. chriswho

What's the Problem?

The other day I added a green frilly mushroom colony, an unidentified cluster of polyps, an orange sponge, and a maxi-jet 1200 to my tank. Today after work I saw that my damsel has lost most of his color. He's almost white/transparent. I don't think any of the tanks that the coral came from had...
  7. chriswho

Let's Say...

Let's say I bought an orange sponge yesterday and he was exposed to air only long enough to move him from bucket to tank, with bucket held at tank level... Will it be ok?
  8. chriswho

Anyone Know What's Up?

So here's the deal. I recently sold my 24 gallon Aquapod to a friend who has been planning to buy it for some time. The inhabitants at the time of sale were the Valentini Puffer, coral banded shrimp, and snowflake eel. I went by the other night to check on the tank, and I found that he had added...
  9. chriswho

Need a Quick Answer Please

I just got back from the LFS (not really local to me) and they had bubble algae in their DT. I was wondering if there are any precautions I need to take to keep this from my tank. Thanks...
  10. chriswho

You won't believe this...

Can you believe this? I was trying to find an I.D. on some macro (or something) that came attached to the same rock as a Zoo colony I recently recieved and this popped up as one of the links. Red Marine Algae and Herpes
  11. chriswho

DT's Phyto Facts

I just read a post in another thread by BigAl that phytoplex can/will cause big algae breakouts. I have had a diatom problem lately, and was wondering if me using DT's Phytoplankton could be the source of this problem. As of yet I haven't been able to pinpoint the problem. At first I thought it...
  12. chriswho

Is This OK?

Can I remove some of the dead algae from the bottom of my tank by using a rubber band to attach a normal sock to the end of my siphon hose, and then replacing the water when I'm finished?
  13. chriswho

Coral Question

Hey, all. I have a closed maze brain coral, as well as a candy cane coral. My question is, how often should I see the feeding tentacles on these corals? I have had them around 2 weeks, and in this time I have only seen the tentacles on the brain one time. As for the candy cane coral, I have...
  14. chriswho

Anemone Near Death?!

Hey guys, Oh man... My anemone looks absolutely wretched. It's a BTA that I've had for a couple weeks now. He's beeng doing well and looking very healthy up until today. When I got home from work he was shrunken down to the size of a silver dollar, and his mouth is gaping open! I've never seen...
  15. chriswho

SPS tanks?

Just out of curiosity, are SPS tanks largely hinged on equipment and setups like algal scrubber, fuges, sumps, reactors, etc. and if so couldn't almost anyone who could afford these along with the proper lighting have a succesful SPS tank? I'm just a little fuzy and thought someone could...
  16. chriswho

Anyone Own One of These?

It's a basket star. I searched the term, and only found a few threads. How hard is it really to take care of? What kind of food requirements does it have? Would phyto take care of it? Any additional info. or success stories would be greatly appreciated.
  17. chriswho

What Is Your Profession?

Hey everyone. I'm about to start college and I'm leaning towards marine biology; I loves my fishes. I got to wondering what some of you do for a living. Feel free to give your job title and a description of your job if you like. Peace to you.
  18. chriswho

How to Enter POTM contest?

Hey all, I was just wondering if someone could tell me how to enter the POTM contest. Thanks
  19. chriswho

Looking for Live Rock

Hello, all. I'm fairly new to this site. I've read alot posted a little... I recently aquired a 55 gallon saltwater aquarium which is going to be a reef tank. In the tank now there is 1 oscellaris clown, 1 yellow tailed damsel, 1 BTA, 1 candy cane coral, and 1 closed maze brain coral. The guy I...
  20. chriswho

Please Help Me I broke my Filter Pump!!!

I feel terrible. Im such an idiot. I flooded my Magnum 350 canister filter pump! What to do while I wait for a replacement? I'm scared for my poor little friends! I don't want to lose any of them o please help me.