Search results

1. astiesi

crespeto's inherited 100gal adventure

Hey Chris, go out of town for a few days and it seems that I missed a bunch, all caught up now. Great looking nem you got there, with your luck the clowns will host the damn thing long before mine every get around to the nem that has been in there for 6 months. As for the ick, that sucks...
  2. astiesi

My 1st Father's Day Gift

So I know I'm due for some pictures but finding the time to take pictures before lights out at night has been hard. But I do have a few interesting events to at least mention. First, the acrylic mandarin feeder has worked out really nicely. He spends time in it after every feeding. He is also...
  3. astiesi

My 1st Father's Day Gift

Soon enough! I got in all the materials for my mandarin diner so this weekend I'll spend some time building. Had to get 6 foot pieces of just about everything so I should have enough materials for a few, should it work out nicely. I also brought home two new frags, an orange/red digi and a...
  4. astiesi

Mandarin Diner

So I went ahead yesterday and ordered the parts to give this a try. I got 2" inside diameter clear acrylic tubing, 2 3" round acrylic pieces to use as end caps, and 1/2" inside diameter clear acrylic tubing to use as the feeding tube. My plan is to place the 2 acrylic circles over each end...
  5. astiesi

crespeto's inherited 100gal adventure

Wow, 15 days since your last update, that must be some kind of record for this thread! How's the mandarin doing? Not sure if you saw but I've been pretty stoked that I got mine eating frozen mysis and I believe he is starting to eat sinking pellets now too! Still wasn't happy with his weight...
  6. astiesi

55 gallon reef

I've read of people attempting to put chopped up shrimp or other meaty seafood in their path and allowing them to run over it and potentially eat it, however I have read nothing more than occasional success with such a method.
  7. astiesi

Adding more LR to an established tank

If its truly cycled live rock, you should be able to add as much as you want with no ill effects. I added about 15 lbs of newly purchased live rock that passed the "smell" test to what was about 80 lbs without a noticeable mini-cycle, however I did realize I was taking a bit of a chance and...
  8. astiesi

tank flow question guys

Are you using the flow directors that come with the older Koralias and snap on the front? I liked the flow pattern much better without these pieces as it was much wider and less concentrated. You may want to give it a try.
  9. astiesi

55 gallon reef

Tank looks great! Keep us posted on that red thorny starfish, I've been wanting to try one for a while but have seen most people have problems keeping them alive long term (more than a year). Have you attempted to target feed it or do anything special for it?
  10. astiesi

Mandarin Diner

I know this idea has been done before but I would love feedback if anyone sees something to be improved with my current idea. Here's the back story: I added a Mandarin to my tank in February of this year. He has been surviving but to me he has always looked a bit skinny for my liking. I...
  11. astiesi

My 1st Father's Day Gift

Purple Deaths are doing alright, no noticeable growth but they seem to open everyday. They are still very small. Any luck finding the Armageddon polyp that blew away?
  12. astiesi

Reef Fish

Cheeks, gorgeous Wrasses, you're making me consider another addition to my tank!
  13. astiesi

Reef Fish

Wow, unreal, the Regal is magnificent. Is that a Candy Basslet as well? I've heard they hide a lot, though yours seem to come out enough for some nice photo-ops. Also, the 2nd picture, I'm guessing those are some flavor of Anthias? Great pictures, thanks again for sharing. With such a...
  14. astiesi

Reef Fish

And in answering this question, I'd love you see them!
  15. astiesi

Reef Fish

Michael, really beautiful fish! I have never seen pictures of these before, how big do they get? And thanks for sharing!
  16. astiesi

Reef Fish

For fish alone, believe it or not, I've been happy so far with All Fish Emporium, formerly Big Al's. They tend to have a very large selection. For corals/fish the two places I visit are Coral Reef Farm, which is off Stirling Rd. and 95 in Hollywood, and Barrier Reef, which is in the area of 95...
  17. astiesi

Reef Fish

I'm going to try to keep this thread going. Here is a picture of my Midas Blenny. While somewhat available in the trade, I personally only see them locally available 1 in every 10 trips to the LFS, and even then only find one or two available. As far as my research I do not believe these...
  18. astiesi

Robzilla's 55 gallon reef tank

I love the idea of a wrasse only reef, I'm a bit late to the party but I'll be following along from here on!
  19. astiesi

Reef Fish

Beautiful fish, obviously pretty hardy as well. Wonder why I haven't seen more of these around in people's tanks? Do you have to do anything special to keep him happy (special diet, lower temperature, etc) other than a stable and mature tank?
  20. astiesi

Reef Fish

Rob, exactly why I posted this thread. I was looking through LA the other day and was shocked at how colorful these wrasses are and that I rarely see pictures of them or hear about them in forums around here. I resorted to the "other forum" to get information on them. I must say I was very...