Search results

1. N

ICK! Please advise...

Well, unfortunately.. it looks like I was alittle too anxious to get my latest addition into the display tank. My new six-line wrasse was in QT for only a week and I didn't look closely enough before giving him a clean bill of health. Under the big lights I immediately noticed that he had a...
  2. N

Brown Algae on Rocks (not Diatom)

Hey guys, I've been fighting an Algae problem for the past few months and it's not getting better very quickly so I thought I would post some pictures here for some opinions and ideas: First some parameters: The nitrate has been on a downward slope since doing a large water change January...
  3. N

Dosing B-Ionic in 55G Reef - 2oz a day too much?

I recently purchased new lights and a large order of dried out base rock from bulkreef, as well as a new Zoanthid rock. I've been doing twice a month %25 water changes and I've switched to a new salt. (Red Sea, IO salt had 300ppm cal and 1000ppm mag at 1.025) For the past several weeks my...
  4. N

Hippo Tang Nicked Tail - Diet or Bully?

Hey guys/gals, I have a small juvenile hippo tang that has been in the DT for just over a month. He has been a very active and has no problems gobbling up food twice as fast as any other fish in my tank. He has a hiding spot between some of the live rock and he sleeps there at night or...
  5. N

Octopus BH-100 Skimmer Leak!

Hey guys, This weekend has been pretty busy with upgrades and cleaning of all my equipment. After cleaning out my skimmer, I am noticing that there is a pretty severe leak between the venturi and the pump assembly. I usually dismantle the pump every time I clean it out. (once a month)...
  6. N

Calcium Deficiency

Hey guys, I've been running my tank since march and things are pretty stable but I cannot get the calcium levels to go up past 300mg/L. I daily dose bi-ionic for calcium and alkalinity, 15ml a day each (55 gallon tank) and I have gotten some spots of purple coraline on the powerheads and...
  7. N

Seeking advice on Blue Hippo Tang in QT

Hey Folks, I recently purchased a baby hippo tang from my LFS and the fish has been in quarantine for the past 30 hours. He is about 1.2" in length and is in a 5G tank with a 3" diameter section of PVC for shelter. I'm treating him with Instant Ocean lifeguard for Ick and Oodinium. (comes with...
  8. N

New 55g FOWLR - First Tank / Post

Greetings and Salutations! This site looks great! I just recently got into the marine aquarium hobby for my birthday on March 5th. We had a 55 gallon 48x12 tank from my brother in law a few years ago but have never had the money or time to set it up. It was previously a freshwater tank...