Search results

1. S

SLR basics needed..

check these forums out, wealth of knowledge http://www.dpreview.com/forums/ also, you should pick up a basic photography book, would probably help a lot another great book is 'understanding exposure' helps with the ideas of shutter speed and aperture, and great photo ideas in it too
  2. horse250

horse250

3. S

Cannon D-Rebel!!! What do you think?

I bought a used 300d a few weeks ago and like it very much, I couldnt have afforded the d70, d20, or the new 350xt, so Im happy with my choice. If I had more money I would have gone with the d70 for a nikon based system or the d20 for canon...I held the rebel xt over the weekend and its too...
  4. S

clown goby in anthelia

very very nice pic, youve made a clown goby look menacing :) which type of clown goby is that?
  5. neon green candycane

neon green candycane

taken with nikon 4500
  6. S

anyone using 50mm canon macro?

borrowed a tripod from work so am using that today, definitely helps here are a few interesting ones
  7. S

thanks :) the seahorse was a lucky shot, I was moving around bumping into things and saw him right in front of the glass and took 3 quick shots, that one was the best. travis and drdrew, what ISO do you normally shoot at? supposedly the 300d doesnt show much if any noise at 400 so should I...
  8. S

hey thanks guys, appreciate it, Im going to borrow a tripod today and try it out. Im attaching a pic I took saturday at a fellow reefers house, it was taken with the kit lense, makes me want to keep seahorses, very photogenic :)
  9. S

couple other decent pics, starting to get a little better, I put it in aperture priority, at 6, then bumped the ISO to 400, seems to be giving me better pics..is there an optimum aperture setting for macro shots?
  10. S

so I found the vivitar/phoenix lens locally and got it yesterday, tried it a bit. attached is the best pic Ive taken so far with it. drdrew, any pointers on using it? do you use the 'filter' that comes with it? I tried using macro mode on the 300d, but it always wants to use the flash. I...
  11. S

here are 2 pics that illustrate where im coming from. both are unprocessed taken on basic settings the first is from the nikon 4500 in macro mode the 2nd is from the rebel 18-55 in macro mode - it isnt bad but not sharp enough for my liking, especially when cropped in an attempt to make it...
  12. S

travis have you used the vivitar lense? and if so what are youre thoughts?
  13. S

yeah sorry I was being lazy I found the info, seems to be a well regarded much cheaper alternative to the canon and sigma lenses so you are happy with the vivitar lense? have you used any of the spendier sigma or canon macro lenses to compare it with? judging by your pics looks reasonably...
  14. S

drdrew, thanks for the info and nice shots :) do you have the specs for that lense? its an autofocus that fits the canon mount? pics look good with it, might have to look into that one, dont think I can afford the 100mm canon thanks
  15. S

travis, do you have any experience with the tamron 90mm macro, or the sigma macro..Im guessing youre going to say go with the canon, but just wanted to see if you have seen or used either of these. which camera body do you use by the way?
  16. S

thanks travis, thats what I was afraid of ;) just hard to justify $400 for a lense just to take tank shots do you use diopters or tubes with your 100mm, or are you using it pretty much on its own for most of your pics. stunning pics by the way :)
  17. S

Hello all, Im new to the dslr world, just got a rebel today. The macro out of the box is ok, but Ive been using a nikon 4500, and the macro on that is much better than the rebel with the 18-55 (not really surprised since the 4500 is well known as a very good macro camera) so I'd like to be...