Search results

1. albert & armand, revisited

albert & armand, revisited

these guys have now been in my main display for a year and a half. the other day, i thought that armand (the goby) was dead, 'cause he appeared to be lodged in the cave opening...turns out, albert was cleaning him. first time i'd observed this behavior.
  2. B

picture logo/copyright tags

ok, so these two pictures were composed a little differently, but they were from the same original digital photo. the frame really seems to help, i think.
  3. i was framed!

i was framed!

same clownfish in caulastrea picture as before, but with new frame template.
  4. B

thanks, RL! it's actually a nice thing to have for composing pictures as well... say i have a 2272 x 1704 pixel image that has a lot of fine detail in various regions, but i'm not sure how i want to crop it down to a 800 x 600 image.... just drag your template over and you have an...
  5. B

thanks again for your help, travis... this is the first frame template i've made...simple, i know, but still ok. btw, photoshop filters are fun. blenny
  6. radioactive zoos!

radioactive zoos!

just playing around w/ my picture frame template and with some photoshop filters.
  7. B

Zoanthids Propagation

ok...so, sorry if i'm beating this thing to death and repeating things needlessly, but let me see if i have this straight (i've always wanted to do more aggressive fragging, but was scared to...till now, i've waited till 1 or 2 polyps grew onto neighboring rocks/rubble and cut them off...or i...
  8. B

which magazine?

i used to get aquarium fish, but there just wasn't enough in it of interest to me to justify the subscription. i'm not sure about any other printed magazines... i do read the online reef keeping magazines every now and then (reef keeping online, advanced aquarist)
  9. B

Zoanthids Propagation

<bump>
  10. B

Zoanthids Propagation

thanks for the great info logical, rob, and travis...hopefully you guys'll be able to answer a few questions i've had with my zoos: 1. when you mention "cutting the polyps" and attaching them to your frag rock, are you actually separating the polyps you want from the colony mat and prying...
  11. B

PC bulb preferences

i agree w/ you wooddood. my previous PC's were "ok", but when i got a good deal on CSL's, i was pretty amazed at not only the intensity but also the color of the custom sealife bulbs. as for actual coral health (i only have softies and LPS), i'm not sure if the CSL's have been better in that...
  12. B

My latest crisis...

scott, sorry to hear about your sump/refugium. i'd help you out, but i just sold my old 30g...all i have left sitting unused are a 10g and 5g. if you want those, i'm happy to get rid of 'em, but they're probably too small to do much good w/ your problem. good luck w/ your final and tanks.
  13. B

PC bulb preferences

hey folks, i was just wondering... for all those power compact users out there, which brand of bulbs do you prefer? which do you think provide the best color, growth, etc? i know of coralife, custom sea life, and hellolights and have tried the latter two, but i'm interested to see if...
  14. B

zoo eating nudibranches

it's like a fruit fly experiment! i had friends who left their kitchen trashed all the time, which brought in a trickle of fruit flies. after weeks of just swatting at them (yet, oddly enough, not being more dutiful about taking out the trash), they were swearing to me that the flies were...
  15. B

zoo eating nudibranches

thanks for the extra info, travis. yeah, i've had to use flatworm exit for flatworms, but i still see the occasional nudibranch. as for using flatworm exit for flatworms, you'd probably agree w/ me on this one travis... i recommend treating the tank w/ an overdose, and then treating the...
  16. B

zoo eating nudibranches

hey folks, just thought i'd share some experiences i've had w/ the little pests. they've claimed one of my colonies unbeknownst to me until it was too late, but ever since i've been pretty vigilant about removing them when i find them. in any case, if you have or propagate zoanthids, take a...
  17. B

Show me your prop tank!

wow... have i just opened up shop w/o even knowing it? :) anyways, i'll post some pics up of my setup as soon as i can, travis...but honestly, there's very little to show. i've hit a busy time at work, but once i'm through it, now that i have the 10MB for contributing members...
  18. B

Show me your prop tank!

thanks, guys. i'll let y'all know when i'm ready to trade/sell... at first, i just started the prop tank to give pieces to my friends/family, but now that i've done that, what else am i going to do with them? woodstock, i live in durham. jks1, i have a 65w actinic and a 65w 10k over the...
  19. B

Show me your prop tank!

this is what was previously my 29g quarantine tank...which was previously my main mini-reef. hey, can't let a tank just sit around empty, can i? nothing special... i run a skimmer on occasion for several days, but the zoos seem to do better w/o it. so, all it is is a heater, a...