Search results

1. Maxx

ETSS Skimmer Clone for sale

I'm selling a brand new ETSS 800 Protein Skimmer clone. This is not an ETSS Skimmer, but is made to the same specs by IAP. It is new in the box, and has never seen water. I have a gate valve for it and some 1 1/2 inch PVC plumbing to go along with it. I really wanted to use this skimmer but it...
  2. Maxx

What is your in tank TDS reading?

I'm curious about this. I'm in the process of setting up a 58 gallon tank with about 75 gallons total voume. Using a TDS meter from www.airwaterice.com water from the tap at my house measures at 215-218 ppm. Water from the RO/Di unit measures at 014 ppm. But since I just added IO salt mix its...
  3. Maxx

What's most important to your tanks success?

What do you consider most important for the success of your tank? Is there something you've recently purchased that makes a difference, or are you doing something that you feel is all important to the well being of your critters? Just curious here. Nick
  4. Maxx

Chiller questions

I'm running into an unexpected heat issue in 58 gallon tank and may require a chiller. I have some quick questions for those in the know..... How do I size a chiller for my particular system? All I see are horsepower numbers....which dont really help me a whole lot. Why are drop in chillers...
  5. Maxx

What would you do differently?

I know hindsight is 20/20....but I'm curious here. What would you do differently in your tank if you could, or if you were starting a new tank? My last tank was The-Reef-That-Should-Not-Be..... I had alot of problems with it simply because of the way I cobbled it together. My flow was poor...
  6. Maxx

I wanna see full tank shots!

I wanna see your full tank shots! Nano's all the way up to 1100 gallon systems...(yup, I'm talking about you Mojo......and dont think you get off easy either 64Ivy. Your 500 gallon system is one of my favorites!) So post em up and let me see whatcha got! Nick
  7. Maxx

Setting up a successful marine aquarium.

We get lots of people visiting the board and wanting to know how to start up a Marine aquarium. Many have either already purchased a set up at the LFS or just came back from visiting one and were mesmerized by what they saw. I thought this would be a great way to start up a thread in the...
  8. Maxx

Show me your full tank shots!!!

Hey I'm wanting to see some of those awesome FO/ FOWLR tanks that I know some of you have. I was looking online for some and couldnt find many I liked...I know some you have some great stuff...lemme see them! Nick
  9. Maxx

Whats your tank favorite?

Whats your favorite tank inhabitant and why? I also wanna see pics. Is it your your mesmerizing mystery wrasse, your graceful angel fish, your delicate but deadly anemone, or coral or clam. C'mon...tell me about it. I'm almost ready to fill up my new 58 gallon reef and want some ideas for...
  10. Maxx

Pump flow question???

Okay....this is weird..... According to the math, my return pump in its present configuration is only putting out 316 GPH. Its a Mag 7 connected to 1/2" plumbing using 3 P traps as opposed to at least 2 90 degree elbows. There is one 1/2" true union ball valve and on 3/4" union adapted to fit...
  11. Maxx

OceansMotions Wavemaker!!!

I just got a 4 version of the OceansMotions Wavemaker plumbed up to my 58 gallon tank. Its connected to an Iwaki MD-55RLT, (pressure pump). HOLY SCHNIKES!! This thing ROCKS!!! Its impressive folks! Definately something to keep in mind if you're looking for random flow in the tank. Its not...
  12. Maxx

Southdown in Texas?

I received this email from our local reef club here in St Louis. Hopefully someone like Melev or Travis can help her out or at least point her in the right direction. I posted this thread here WITHOUT her knowledge, so anybody with access to knowledge of Southdown sand in the Houston area will...
  13. Maxx

Project 58!! (Image intense)

The epic saga of one mans struggle to persevere against overwhelming odds, forces of nature, and financial handicaps to set up........................(Cue theme music from 2001 Space Odyssey)............................... A 58 GALLON REEF TANK!!!!!!!! This has been a part time project for...
  14. Maxx

Scientists using electricity to regenerate Coral Reefs!

PEMUTERAN, North Bali -- As the late afternoon sun bathes the beach with a soft warmth, gentle waves lap quietly at the shore -- and strollers occasionally stumble over a thick wad of white cables embedded in the fine, black sand. The cables seem to disappear into the sea, where large blue...
  15. Maxx

New Honda Commercial....

So have ya seen thins??? Its pretty cool...and sposedly its all real. I'm kinda skeptical which is why I'm posting here. There is a part early on where the tires roll up an incline......sposedly the tires are weighted in order to be able to perform this magical feat.....I dont buy it. Whatcha...
  16. Maxx

Crap! Hosed by the landlord!

The landlord wont let me set up the large cube tank that I want, but I am allowed to set up my 58 gallon Oceanic. I now have some extra money from the budget, but I want to buy w/ an eye towards upgrading tank size in the future. Everything I've bought so far has pretty much been along those...
  17. Maxx

Piranha found in Londons Thames River

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water, a ferocious, carnivorous South American piranha has been fished out of London's River Thames, environmental officials say. The 4-inch-long red-bellied piranha was dropped by a passing seagull onto the...
  18. Maxx

Comparison of 250w DE bulbs by Sanjay

The newest test of DE/HQI bulbs by sanjay Joshi and Timothy Marks is out......dry and technical reading, but some interesting facts.....It has been added to the library forum and can be reached here at the bottom of the page. Among the most interesting conclusions reached in this article...
  19. Maxx

Just added some more lighting links to the lighting Library

I just added these links to the lighting library that MojoReef was kind enough to put together for us. Spectral Analysis of MH Lamps - Do ballasts make a difference SPECTRAL ANALYSIS OF RECENT METAL HALIDE LAMPS AND BALLAST COMBINATIONS SPECTRAL ANALYSIS OF 150W DOUBLE ENDED METAL...
  20. Maxx

My clam garden.....

I just purchased 2 Maxima clams from Barry @ www.clamsdirect.com (one of our sponsors) and thought I'd post some pics. The tank is a 20 gallon high AGA w/ a 10 gallon tank used as a home made sump. Aqua-C Remora skimmeris mounted to the sump, and a couple of Hagen powerheads provide...