Search results

1. slakker

Help ID this coral...

Need some ideas as to what this is.... The LFS says its a favia, I'm not certain... The below taken in day and moon light.
  2. slakker

Maybe worth mentioning - stock Tunze 9002 fits in RSM 130

I thought this may be worth mentioning as when I was looking to put a 9002 to replace my stock skimmer, I read that you couldn't fit the collector cup in the 130. I bought both the inTank media rack and collection cup, but thought to try the stock cup and it fits! The trick is to use the...
  3. slakker

Help ID this Chalice..

Can anyone help ID this Chalice? Got it for $30 at the LFS and thought it was a great deal... it' about 3" across...
  4. slakker

DIY/Mod Bio Reactor

I haven't been active on the boards for a while, but recently upgraded to a 90G from my 72G bow front. I've always been a heavy stocker/feeder so have NO3 issues and wanted to try these bio reactors. I like the Cad Light one cause it looks so cool, but didn't want to fork out the $$ till I...
  5. slakker

Mantis molted but now has gimpy thumpers (arms)

I've been trying to look for some info and advice. I've had my mantis for over 2 years now, but after this last molt, I noticed both his thumpers are poorly formed and look useless. Any thoughts on whether this will remain this way or will he get better after the next molt? What can I do to...
  6. slakker

Elegance ate my seahare!!!

Not sure where to post this,but this happened in my RSM. So this morning I see this blackblob/rock like pebble come out of my elegance coral. I thought oh no! It's shedding and separating. Then my skunk cleaner starts picking at this blob and I thought maybe it's just expelling it's guts...
  7. slakker

Just got one...

I guess I can join the club? I sure hope he does well... It's been a week and he's eating well and roaming the tank. Has a few hidy-holes but hasn't really settled anywhere yet.
  8. slakker

First Mantis Shrimp

Got my first mantis shrimp and I have to say, this is the coolest critter I have... I have a 8 Gallon that has a "hidden" predator in it that's been killing any fish I put in it. It could be the 2 gorilla crabs I see, but thought let's put a mantis in there to take care of them. He's been...
  9. slakker

UPS as in uninterruptible power supply

Coming into the storm season in the pacific northwest and re-calling our big storm of 2006 (some communities was without power for a few days), I was wondering if and what some of the folks here do for power outages?
  10. slakker

Update to RSM

So it's about week 4 now and onto phase 2... Green hair algae... so what else is there to do but to get a sea hare. :bouncer: I already told my LFS that I'm just "renting" him... once the GHA is under control, I'm returning him for 1/2 credit. :woohoo: They're such a cool animal...
  11. slakker

Osmolator and the foam/carbon

I found an interesting scenario... I put my osmolator behind the skimmer without the foam in place. It was running really well, top up was working great. I then tried putting in the foam and a bag of carbon on top. I noticed that the foam/carbon slowly restricts flow and decreases the...
  12. slakker

Tunze Wavebox?

OK... I feel like I'm posting way too much :doh: , and it may be a silly question but has anyone used a wave maker type device in the RSM? I know the Tunze may rock the water too much and I saw a picture of a system where a Red Sea wave timer was used, but with only 1 power-head...
  13. slakker

Timer Mod...

Is there anyone with a Timer Mod? The granularity of the analogue timer is not that great, and I'm also thinking that it may fail over time so may need replacing... On a positive note, I got my Tunze Osmolator installed and working! Woo Hoo!!!
  14. slakker

A new clam and Duncan in our 72 DT...

So a buddy bought 2 new maxima clams, but one was being picked on by his fish, so we're "clam" sitting for him... it's looks like it's recovering well... We also saw these Duncan corals at the local store, and was able to talk them down to about $8/polyp! It usually costs $15 to $20...
  15. slakker

Skimmer question...

So for my large display tank, the RS skimmer has a air adjustment and a water height adjustment... I've basically tossed the air adjustment and have it wide open and only use the water height. For the RSM, there's only a air adjustment... how's the best way to use this thing... sorry if...
  16. slakker

What do you use for ATO...

I've just set up my 30G RSM and was wondering what others have used as ATO device? How is it setup and what's workign well or not so well.
  17. slakker

Adjacency list?

I was wondering if there's a compiled list of adjacency compatibility for corals? So trying to figure what coral can be put beside other ones without them going to chemical warfare... I've been basically trial and error and case by case researching this... But thought somebody must have...
  18. slakker

Increasing flow in a 8G Biocube

I'm thinking of increasing the flow in my 8G Biocube and was thinking of putting a Koralia Nano in to augment the stock pump... what do you guys think? Too much flow? I have sun corals and a pearly jawfish in there right now...
  19. slakker

Mix and match Tunze to make a wavemaker...

I was thinking that a Tunze Wavebox is basically a Tunze 7091 controller with a Turbelle Powerhead. I was wondering, why can't I just make one? It would be cheaper by making one with a Nanostream which is what I believe is iinside the Nano Wavebox... I spoke to the LFS store guy and he...
  20. slakker

Red Stripe Anthias...

We saw this really cool anthias at the LFS yesterday and thought what a cool fish. After getting home, did a search on it and found out it is quite rare to find and should jump on it... online, it goes for $80-$90 USD, the LFS was selling for $40!!!! Went right back today and got one...