Search results

1. BoomerD

Please cross your fingers, pray, or ???

As many of you may know, Kahleeforneeya's fire season is in full swing already this year. Wildfires are popping up in many places, and hundreds if not thousands of homes are being lost. Our own kinghokus420 (josh) lives in the small northern Kahleeforneeya town of Paradise that is about to be...
  2. BoomerD

Yard Sale in Modesto, CA

For youse local peeps, we're having a big yard sale next weekend, (5/30 & 31, and 6/1) and all my fish stuff will be in the sale. 90 gallon tank w/stand & canopy, ~15 gallon hex tank w/stand, heaters, powerheads, tons of miscellaneous good stuff and junk as well... There will be a couple of...
  3. BoomerD

OT: Ever wonder what's REALLY in that sand on the beach?

Each Grain of Sand a Tiny Work of Art | Earth Science | DISCOVER Magazine There are some pretty cool pics in there, and some of the other galleries are nice as well.
  4. BoomerD

Yosemite National Park 4/08

Let's try this again...I posted this last night...and the RS server apparently crashed. We live in Modesto, Kahleeforneeya, about 100 miles from YNP, and try to make the trip at least once a year. Spring is definitely the best time to go, because the waterfalls are running full-stream...
  5. BoomerD

Any Scotsmen here?

(whether by actual bloodlines or just in your heart?) I won a pair of tickets the other day to see the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards Pipes and Drums with the Coldstream Guards Marching Band... WOO-HOO! What a show... I'm a HUGE fan of the pipes...just something about the sound that gets...
  6. BoomerD

You think YOU have problem crabs...

Saw this on another forum: These cute little fellas can be found on many of the islands in the indo-pacific region. Fortunately, they're terresterial crabs, (land hermits) so we don't have to deal with them in the aquarium... Here's more info: Coconut crab - Wikipedia, the free...
  7. BoomerD

How about a nice "gently-used" Canon Lens?

Used Canon | Super Telephoto 1200mm f/5.6L EF USM Autofocus Lens It's ONLY $ 99,000.00... Allegedly, one of only 10 or 12 of these in the world...make a nice addition to the photo equipment collection... Here's some more pics: XL1 Image Gallery: The Most Extreme Lens Available For The XL1
  8. BoomerD

Don't ya just HATE people like this? ;)

This tank belongs to Joseph Weatherson, a member, advisor, and former president of the local reef club who has won the RC TOTM contest before with his gorgeous 240 reef...and it only keeps getting better and better...That's an animated GIF showing the change over 90 days... For those who don't...
  9. BoomerD

For those who are fighting ich...

Stolen from someone on the local reef club, who stole it from a different website... Aninote.com - Ich will be defeated
  10. BoomerD

Rare, Soft-Shelled Turtle Found

Not reef-related, but cool none-the-less... Discovery Channel :: News - Animals :: Rare, Soft-Shelled Turtle Found May 16, 2007 — A rare soft-shell turtle thought to be on the brink of extinction has been discovered in Cambodia in a former stronghold of the Khmer Rouge, conservationists...
  11. BoomerD

OT: Entertainer Don Ho dead at 76

Entertainer Don Ho dead at 76 - Celebrity News - MSNBC.com HONOLULU - Legendary crooner Don Ho, who entertained tourists for decades wearing raspberry-tinted sunglasses and singing the catchy signature tune “Tiny Bubbles,” has died. He was 76. He died Saturday morning of heart...
  12. BoomerD

Quake lifts Solomons island out of the sea

Quake lifts Solomons island out of the sea - Yahoo! News RANONGGA, Solomon Islands (AFP) - The seismic jolt that unleashed the deadly Solomons tsunami this week lifted an entire island metres out of the sea, destroying some of the world's most pristine coral reefs. In an instant, the...
  13. BoomerD

Ralph the whale shark dies.

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2007/01/11/0111whaleshark.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=13 The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Published on: 01/12/07 Another star attraction at the Georgia Aquarium is dead. Ralph the whale shark stopped swimming early Thursday...
  14. BoomerD

52 new species discovered on Borneo

Geez, I actually beat Booze with one? WWF: 52 new species discovered on Borneo GENEVA - Scientists have discovered at least 52 new species of animals and plants on the southeast Asian island of Borneo since 2005, including a catfish with protruding teeth and suction cups on its belly to...
  15. BoomerD

Sushi anyone?

Sorry, it's in japanese... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlhhKGdvIJc
  16. BoomerD

Bubbles on a Birdsnest

One of the members of the local reef club has posted this pic on our local reef site: with the following information: "I havent really been paying attention to my tank the last few months due to school, so I am not sure how long this has been happening. I just looked again, now that the...
  17. BoomerD

Expert says oceans are turning acidic

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061109/ap_on_sc/climate_conference "NAIROBI, Kenya - The world's oceans are becoming more acidic, which poses a threat to sea life and Earth's fragile food chain, a climate expert said Thursday. Oceans have already absorbed a third of the world's emissions of...
  18. BoomerD

Talk like a pirate day

ARRRRRRR! Avast there ye scurvy scoundrels and wenches, let's not be a-forgettin that today is Talk like a Pirate day. So let's haul out that keg-o-rum and loosen yer tongues afore I get me cutlass and cut-im-out fer ye... If yer a needin help makin yer pie-holes sound right, this here...
  19. BoomerD

Could Witty be right?

http://www.aims.gov.au/pages/about/communications/backgrounders/20020905-killer-crabs.html Toxic crabs joining the league of "Evil Crabs"...
  20. BoomerD

Digicam owners beware

My Nikon 5700 crapped out on me the other day. Everything is black thru the viewfinder/LCD monitor. In the process of trying to troubleshoot the problem, I came across this: http://www.imaging-resource.com/badccds.html Apparently, this is a pretty common problem, affecting cameras from all...